Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
"Leonard Bussey"

Default Finding executable files

Hello all,

Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an application.* I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the menu items.* Thank You.
--
How can I fix it, if it isn't broken!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Leonard Bussey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the
> menu items. Thank You.

Do you know the executable name (e.g. gedit), but not the path
(/usr/bin/gedit)? If so, run e.g.:

which gedit

Otherwise, try to explain better (what do you know and what do you want
to know).

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Leonard Bussey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up
> the menu items. Thank You.
>
> --
> How can I fix it, if it isn't broken!
>
> Len Bussey

Using "which COMMAND" will tell you where the COMMAND is.

For example "which gnome-terminal" will return :
"/usr/bin/gnome-terminal" but this only works if the command you are
looking for is in your $PATH.

Then, if you want to find all executable binaries, just type "find
DIRECTORY -executable" and that will give you the complete list of
executable files under DIRECTORY ...

For example "find / -executable" will give you a LOT of files...

Gilles.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 18:18 +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Leonard Bussey wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
> > application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up
> > the menu items. Thank You.

If the executable is in your PATH, then you can simply put the name of
the executable file in the launcher item.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the
> menu items. Thank You.

dpkg -L <package name>

will show all files for <package name>.

dpkg -L <package name> | grep "/usr/bin"

will likely return binary (executable) files for many packages.

HTH,
Chris

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 09:17 AM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Leonard Bussey wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
>> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the
>> menu items. Thank You.
>
> Do you know the executable name (e.g. gedit), but not the path
> (/usr/bin/gedit)? If so, run e.g.:
>
> which gedit
>
> Otherwise, try to explain better (what do you know and what do you want
> to know).
>
> Matt Flaschen

The only problem is 'which' will only return information if the command
is in your PATH:

DESCRIPTION
which returns the pathnames of the files which would be executed in the
current environment, had its arguments been given as commands in a
strictly POSIX-conformant shell. It does this by searching the PATH
for executable files matching the names of the arguments.

For example, I have multiple instances of OpenOffice.org and StarOffice
on my system:

$ which soffice
/usr/bin/soffice
only returns the soffice in my path.

However:
~$ locate -b "soffice"
/home/<user>/OOo241/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice
/opt/staroffice8/program/soffice
/opt/staroffice9/program/soffice
/usr/bin/soffice
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice

shows that I have multiple instances of soffice (an executable) that I
can run. So I wouldn't necessarily rely on 'which' to provide the
information if there is a possibility that the executable is outside of
the PATH.

I still get confused on path's & environment variables, so I have this
page bookmarked:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables

Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 09:08 AM, Leonard Bussey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the
> menu items. Thank You.

This might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IceWM

Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 12:16 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/12/2009 09:08 AM, Leonard Bussey wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable file to launch an
>> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and have to manually set up the
>> menu items. Thank You.
>>

> This might help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IceWM

Sorry; this might be a little more helpful:

http://celettu.wordpress.com/icewm-guide/

Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On 01/12/2009 09:17 AM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Leonard Bussey wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Where can I find where Ubuntu puts the executable
> file to launch an
> >> application. I'm trying to set up IceWM and
> have to manually set up the
> >> menu items. Thank You.
> >
> > Do you know the executable name (e.g. gedit), but not
> the path
> > (/usr/bin/gedit)? If so, run e.g.:
> >
> > which gedit
> >
> > Otherwise, try to explain better (what do you know and
> what do you want
> > to know).
> >
> > Matt Flaschen
> >

> The only problem is 'which' will only return
> information if the command
> is in your PATH:
>
> DESCRIPTION
> which returns the pathnames of the files which would be
> executed in the
> current environment, had its arguments been given as
> commands in a
> strictly POSIX-conformant shell. It does this by
> searching the PATH
> for executable files matching the names of the arguments.
>
> For example, I have multiple instances of OpenOffice.org
> and StarOffice
> on my system:
>
> $ which soffice
> /usr/bin/soffice
> only returns the soffice in my path.
>
> However:
> ~$ locate -b "soffice"
> /home/<user>/OOo241/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice
> /opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice
> /opt/staroffice8/program/soffice
> /opt/staroffice9/program/soffice
> /usr/bin/soffice
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice
>
> shows that I have multiple instances of soffice (an
> executable) that I
> can run. So I wouldn't necessarily rely on
> 'which' to provide the
> information if there is a possibility that the executable
> is outside of
> the PATH.
>
> I still get confused on path's & environment
> variables, so I have this
> page bookmarked:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables

Just to add my two cents. Wajig is a neat, powerful front
end for apt which can do many things with apt.
wajig whichpkg <file name> will give you any/all the package
names that contain the file name. It's in the repos and if
your not familiar with it it is a good package to review and
use. Thanks for the info on environmental variables. I need
that tooo.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 01:51 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Mon, 1/12/09, NoOp
>> I still get confused on path's & environment
>> variables, so I have this
>> page bookmarked:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
>>

> Just to add my two cents. Wajig is a neat, powerful front
> end for apt which can do many things with apt.
> wajig whichpkg <file name> will give you any/all the package
> names that contain the file name. It's in the repos and if
> your not familiar with it it is a good package to review and
> use. Thanks for the info on environmental variables. I need
> that tooo.

A Gnome GUI command 'gjig' is also included in the package. And is
pretty interesting...