-   -   nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/226314-nvidia-geforce-7200-gs-1600x1200-resolution.html)

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 01-12-2009 07:12 AM

nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution

Hi,
On a 8.10 system, my nvidia GeForce 7200 GS is not automatically
recognized and I cannot go to my favorite 1600x1200 resolution.

Have you got an xorg.conf, somewhere, that I could copy/paste on an
Ubuntu to get that resolution, with the opensource drivers?

I dont wanna use the nvidia binary drivers.

Thank you.

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-12-2009 11:52 AM

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> On a 8.10 system, my nvidia GeForce 7200 GS is not automatically
> recognized and I cannot go to my favorite 1600x1200 resolution.
>
> Have you got an xorg.conf, somewhere, that I could copy/paste on an
> Ubuntu to get that resolution, with the opensource drivers?
>
> I dont wanna use the nvidia binary drivers.
>
> Thank you.

You can get the good that work fine non-ubuntu nvidia drivers using
the sympatic download tool. You look for the nvidia file and d/l that
and then reboot. You will get the right resolution automatically. I did
it when I first loaded 8.04 and now when I get a new kernel I get a new
nvidia kernel driver. That way kernel updates are not exciting :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 01-12-2009 12:01 PM

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> On a 8.10 system, my nvidia GeForce 7200 GS is not automatically
>> recognized and I cannot go to my favorite 1600x1200 resolution.
>> Have you got an xorg.conf, somewhere, that I could copy/paste on an
>> Ubuntu to get that resolution, with the opensource drivers?
>> I dont wanna use the nvidia binary drivers.
> You can get the good that work fine non-ubuntu nvidia drivers using
> the sympatic download tool. You look for the nvidia file and d/l that
> and then reboot.

Via Synaptic?
What package exactly?
I dont want to use the proprietary drivers.

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-12-2009 12:07 PM

nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>> On a 8.10 system, my nvidia GeForce 7200 GS is not automatically
>>> recognized and I cannot go to my favorite 1600x1200 resolution.
>>> Have you got an xorg.conf, somewhere, that I could copy/paste on an
>>> Ubuntu to get that resolution, with the opensource drivers?
>>> I dont wanna use the nvidia binary drivers.
>>>
>> You can get the good that work fine non-ubuntu nvidia drivers using
>> the sympatic download tool. You look for the nvidia file and d/l that
>> and then reboot.
>>

> Via Synaptic?
> What package exactly?
> I dont want to use the proprietary drivers.

If you do not want to use the proprietary drivers, then get a new
computer without nvidia parts. For nvidia to work properly you must have
these drivers, period.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Leonard Chatagnier 01-12-2009 12:20 PM

nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution

> On a 8.10 system, my nvidia GeForce 7200 GS is not
> automatically
> recognized and I cannot go to my favorite 1600x1200
> resolution.
>
> Have you got an xorg.conf, somewhere, that I could
> copy/paste on an
> Ubuntu to get that resolution, with the opensource drivers?
>
> I dont wanna use the nvidia binary drivers.
>
> Thank you.

I don't have my machine with my nvidia G71 GeForce 7300GS in front of me
as it's in the shop. But as I recall, I had to use the nvidia 177 driver to get my LG 22" lcd monitor to display it's native resolution of 1860X1050 on Intrepid. On this hardy system with an ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver is automatically installed to display the native resolution of 1278X768(or Close) on my CRT Gateway EV700 monitor. On this system, nvidia-kernel-common, is also automaticallyu installed.
I don't know is this is helpful or confusing, just what I have to get native resolution on 2 monitors on 2 versions. On my intrepid system, I had to use the nvidia-glx-new-envy driver to get the lcd 22" to work correctly and stay that way. I also think you will need the nvidia-new-kernel-source-envy kernel driver for it to work. I think you will have to use the nvidia proprietary drivers to get what you want or at least get it easier where it stays after rebooting. No expert here so, if something is not quite correct, someone will correct. HTH and that I'm not confusing the issue.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 01-12-2009 12:28 PM

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> HTH and that I'm not confusing the issue.
> Leonard Chatagnier

Those are the available drivers...
Damn!

nvidia-glx-173 nvidia-glx-96 nvidia-glx-envy
nvidia-glx-173-dev nvidia-glx-96-dev nvidia-glx-ia32
nvidia-glx-177 nvidia-glx-dev nvidia-glx-legacy
nvidia-glx-177-dev nvidia-glx-dev-envy
nvidia-glx-legacy-envy
nvidia-glx-180 nvidia-glx-dev-legacy nvidia-glx-lrm-dev
nvidia-glx-180-dev nvidia-glx-dev-legacy-envy nvidia-glx-new
nvidia-glx-71 nvidia-glx-dev-new nvidia-glx-new-envy
nvidia-glx-71-dev nvidia-glx-dev-new-envy nvidia-glx-src

Leonard Chatagnier 01-12-2009 12:44 PM

nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution

> > HTH and that I'm not confusing the issue.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
>
> Those are the available drivers...
> Damn!
>
> nvidia-glx-173 nvidia-glx-96
> nvidia-glx-envy
> nvidia-glx-173-dev nvidia-glx-96-dev
> nvidia-glx-ia32
> nvidia-glx-177 nvidia-glx-dev
> nvidia-glx-legacy
> nvidia-glx-177-dev nvidia-glx-dev-envy
> nvidia-glx-legacy-envy
> nvidia-glx-180 nvidia-glx-dev-legacy
> nvidia-glx-lrm-dev
> nvidia-glx-180-dev nvidia-glx-dev-legacy-envy
> nvidia-glx-new
> nvidia-glx-71 nvidia-glx-dev-new
> nvidia-glx-new-envy
> nvidia-glx-71-dev nvidia-glx-dev-new-envy
> nvidia-glx-src

Yeah, it is confusing and I did have to try different nvidia drivers
before I found one that worked and stayed with the same resolution
after I rebooted. If you want a suggestion, I'd try first, the nvidia-glx-177 driver as usually the latest driver works the best.
If that doesn't work, then try the others which is what I had to do
with both hardy and intrepid. Also do an aptitude search nvidia and
install the nvidia kernel source that matches the nvidia driver.
If there's an easier way, I don't know it but you may find a lot by
googling for your card ID+nvidia+drivers or something similar. HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 01-12-2009 12:55 PM

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> nvidia-glx-173 nvidia-glx-96
>> nvidia-glx-envy
>> nvidia-glx-173-dev nvidia-glx-96-dev
>> nvidia-glx-ia32
>> nvidia-glx-177 nvidia-glx-dev
>> nvidia-glx-legacy
>> nvidia-glx-177-dev nvidia-glx-dev-envy
>> nvidia-glx-legacy-envy
>> nvidia-glx-180 nvidia-glx-dev-legacy
>> nvidia-glx-lrm-dev
>> nvidia-glx-180-dev nvidia-glx-dev-legacy-envy
>> nvidia-glx-new
>> nvidia-glx-71 nvidia-glx-dev-new
>> nvidia-glx-new-envy
>> nvidia-glx-71-dev nvidia-glx-dev-new-envy
>> nvidia-glx-src
>>
> Yeah, it is confusing and I did have to try different nvidia drivers

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/nvidia-glx-173
seems to tell me "7200 GS"

Leonard Chatagnier 01-12-2009 02:30 PM

nvidia GeForce 7200 GS and 1600x1200 resolution