FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

OS: Ubuntu 8.10 x86.

I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.

How may I do that?


Thanks.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Luke Militello
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 8.10 x86.
>
> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>
> How may I do that?
>
>
> Thanks.
>

Add the following to '/etc/rc.local' just before 'exit 0'.

/usr/bin/updatedb > /dev/null 2>&1

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
"James Matthews"
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Luke Militello <luke@digitalenigma.net> wrote:

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> OS: Ubuntu 8.10 x86.

>

> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.

>

> How may I do that?

>

>

> Thanks.

>



Add the following to '/etc/rc.local' just before 'exit *0'.



/usr/bin/updatedb > /dev/null 2>&1



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
http://www.astorandblack.com/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> OS: Ubuntu 8.10 x86.
>
> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>
> How may I do that?

Generally you put boot-time scripts into /etc/init.d/ with symlinks from
/etc/c2.d/S*

But if all you want is to be certain that it _does_ get run after every boot
(ie, you're not concerned that it runs every day from cron, anyway) then you
don't need to do anything. anacron always ensures that everything in
/etc/cron.daily that has been missed runs about 5 minutes after booting.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>
> How may I do that?

Put it before "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local:

/usr/bin/updatedb

However this would be running as root. You may wish to find out what disadvantage of doing so.


--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 09:22 +0200, James Matthews wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Luke Militello
> <luke@digitalenigma.net> wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > OS: Ubuntu 8.10 x86.
> >
> > I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a
> day.
> >
> > How may I do that?
> >
> >

You also need to remove /etc/cron.daily/mlocate which calls updatedb
once a day. You can do this by changing the permissions on the mlocate
script to remove the execute bits. When you do that the script will be
ignored by anacron.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and
Network Consultant
smoot@tic.com
+1 480 922 7313
cell: +1 602 421 9005

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
John Hubbard
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>>
>> How may I do that?
>>
>
> Put it before "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local:
>
> /usr/bin/updatedb
>
> However this would be running as root. You may wish to find out what disadvantage of doing so.
>
>
>
Don't you have to run updated db as root?

jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ which updatedb
/usr/bin/updatedb
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ updatedb
updatedb: fatal error: You are not authorized to create a default
slocate database!
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for jhubbard:
{long delay}
jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$

--
-john

To be or not to be, that is the question
2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

--- On Mon, 1/12/09, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: updatedb running on every boot
> To: anthony.rasat@gmail.com, "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
> Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> > Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >
> >> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot,
> instead of once a day.
> >>
> >> How may I do that?
> >>
> >
> > Put it before "exit 0" line in
> /etc/rc.local:
> >
> > /usr/bin/updatedb
> >
> > However this would be running as root. You may wish to
> find out what disadvantage of doing so.
> >
> >
> >
> Don't you have to run updated db as root?
>
See the two sentences just above your question.
The commands are running as root in rc.local.
The person, Mr. Rasat if I'm reading the listing
correctly in notifying you that there may be some
issues running as root. However, anything in rc.local
is run as root and I have put commands there in order
to start my wifi connection to prevent having to do it
from a CLI using sudo after booting up. I think any
danger is minimal and wouldn't worry about it on a local
LAN. YMMV.

> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ which updatedb
> /usr/bin/updatedb
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ updatedb
> updatedb: fatal error: You are not authorized to create a
> default
> slocate database!
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$ sudo updatedb
> [sudo] password for jhubbard:
> {long delay}
> jhubbard@jhubbard-laptop:~$
>
>

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default updatedb running on every boot

Anthony M. Rasat wrote:

> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> I want "updatedb" to run at every boot, instead of once a day.
>>
>> How may I do that?
>
> Put it before "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local:
>
> /usr/bin/updatedb
>
> However this would be running as root. You may wish to find out what
> disadvantage of doing so.
>
Er.... updatedb _must_ run as root :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org