-   -   Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/226229-should-i-downgrade-ubuntu-8-04-8-10-a.html)

"Samuel Rohde" 01-12-2009 12:24 AM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

Matthew Flaschen 01-12-2009 12:38 AM

Samuel Rohde wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

I am using 8.04 Hardy, and have not felt "behind" thus far. 8.04, as an
LTS release, is naturally more stable and better tested than 8.10, which
is the latest release, and non-LTS. If you don't actually need features
in 8.10, stick with 8.04.

Matt Flaschen

Charlie Kravetz 01-12-2009 02:08 AM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:24:05 -0800
"Samuel Rohde" <samuelrohde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

I run 8.10 because it works for me. That is not a good reason for
anyone else to use it. I put up with the issues in it (no sound at
times, movies) because they are minor issues for me. OTOH, I ran 6.06
until 7.10 because the other versions in between did NOT work for me.

It is personal, I think.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

NoOp 01-12-2009 03:41 AM

On 01/11/2009 05:38 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Samuel Rohde wrote:
>> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
>> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?
>
> I am using 8.04 Hardy, and have not felt "behind" thus far. 8.04, as an
> LTS release, is naturally more stable and better tested than 8.10, which
> is the latest release, and non-LTS. If you don't actually need features
> in 8.10, stick with 8.04.
>
> Matt Flaschen

+1

I only run 8.10 on a single test machine (out of 7 current systems - 6
run 8.04.01). To me 8.10 has been way too much effort to try and
maintain... and my 'hobby' is working with Ubuntu. I find myself 'trying
to fix things' way too much to be even semi-productive with 8.10. Sorry
to say that, given that my 'hobby' is Ubuntu; I've always managed to do
pretty well with previous versions (feisty & gutsy) but I've removed
Intrepid from all production systems.

Mark Kirkwood 01-12-2009 04:16 AM

Samuel Rohde wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

I run 8.10 on an Asus F3jr notebook and 8.10 server on a Supermicro
P3tder. Both are trouble free so far. In the notebook case I find the
wireless networking better in 8.10 than 8.04 - for instance much faster
to re-associate after a suspend/resume. In the server case, 8.10 was
quite a b***h to get running after installation, but now I have that
sorted out, it is well behaved.

In the notebook case I use it for development, so it needs to work
reliably. I guess if it had not, I would have reverted to 8.04. So in
your case maybe stick with the release that works - after all 8.04 is
a good release!

The server is just for learning purposes - where I work uses Debian
servers and I had been used to Gentoo, so felt the need to increase my
'apt-foo'! In that context the fact that it took me several days to
debug the various boot issues connected with software raid and ramdisk
was actually a bonus (viewed in *hindsight*, a bit frustrating at the
time) - I learned a lot :-).

Best wishes

Mark

"Doug Jernigan" 01-12-2009 08:36 AM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

I found 8.10 not usable and re-installed 8.04 which still works well.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Samuel Rohde <samuelrohde@gmail.com> wrote:

Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but

problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx

Doug Jernigan

Carson City, Nevada

Florian Diesch 01-12-2009 10:40 AM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

"Samuel Rohde" <samuelrohde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do?

That depends on what problems you have with 8.10 and if you
need/want the additional features of 8.10

> What is your experience?

For me 8.10 works fine (after I disabled DRI support in X).

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

"Koh Choon Lin" 01-12-2009 11:00 AM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

>> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
>> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do?

My office faces the same problem. 8.04 would be running perfectly well
while 8.10 would hang boxes randomly.

--
Koh Choon Lin

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-12-2009 11:40 AM

Samuel Rohde wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 I have had nothing but
> problems. Is 8.10 worth it? What should I do? What is your experience?

I use 8.04 on this computer and 8.10 on my laptop for a reason. Both
are now working fine, and both are fully updated. I have to use 8.10 on
the laptop because it is new and has a new Intel video that is not
supported by 8.04.

8.10 had a sound problem originally but that was solved I think by
the new kernel. In all other respects I use, 8.10 seems to work fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Armando Menendez 01-12-2009 01:27 PM

Should I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 from 8.10?

An additional consideration:

I was testing 8.10 on a Dell Latitude 630 laptop, and the wireless
functions simply worked and appeared to be much more reliable and
effective. 8.10 always connects with a better signal strength
indicated...

However because of work constraints I also need to run Windows.

I tried a dual boot system, there were problems.

Then I decided to go back to my old faithful - Windows running in
VMware.

VMware doesn't run correctly in 8.10 (it isn't on their compatibility
list so I can't blame them), as soon as you install the VMware Tools,
things start to either crash or get corrupted.

If anyone has managed to get VMware running correctly in 8.10 I'd be
interested in how they made it work...

I've gone back to 8.04. :-(

Armando