Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Doug Pollard

Default Not linuxes fault

Hi All,
I have used Linux about three years off and on, The last six or
eight months I have been working on video,in Cinelerra, Keno,and several
other programs and have done very well at it. I have heard complaints
from a few that video is hard in Linux. I have not found that so.
What I have about decided is that Linux is hard for me. During all
this time I have not been able to learn to use the terminal to repair or
make changes except by direct instructions from members of this list.
The fault is not with Ubuntu or the list help. I am old as dirt and
learning is just pain hard work now.
A couple of things that I wanted to use was Skype but I have a dual
core 64bit system and I was just unable to make it work. I could not
get the video to send.
My son recently bought me a Wacom (Bamboo) pad and stylice kit to
draw and paint with I was unable to get it to work in Ubuntu. There is
a group working on the problem and they have made a lot progress but
it's just too much for me to work out. I think the software is still in
bata.
Here is my solution. I have now a dual boot system were xp can
be used for a few of the things I have not been able to do in Ubuntu. I
have Ubuntu 8.04 on my second hard drive to do video on and almost
everything else I do. My solution to things that break from updates or
what ever reason is that I store all my files on an external drive. This
also helps to keep my hard drive from filling up with big numbers of
Gigs of video. If I break something and can't fix it I just reinstall
Ubuntu and go on with my work. With updates it takes a couple hours
rather than a couple days of hunting for help and reading tutorials and
trying and often failing at fixes.
One of the things I plan to work at is learning to install a tar
package I have struggled with this several times without any success.
It is not often that it is needed but now and then it would be nice.
The upside to what I am doing is it lets me keep learning while having
the few programs I have not been able to get up and running in Ubuntu.
Maybe this will help someone else who is struggling to learn
Linux and finding it tough sledding.

Doug

Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
NoOp

On 01/11/2009 12:54 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
[snips]
> Here is my solution. I have now a dual boot system were xp can
> be used for a few of the things I have not been able to do in Ubuntu. I
> have Ubuntu 8.04 on my second hard drive to do video on and almost
> everything else I do. My solution to things that break from updates or
> what ever reason is that I store all my files on an external drive. This
> also helps to keep my hard drive from filling up with big numbers of
> Gigs of video. If I break something and can't fix it I just reinstall
> Ubuntu and go on with my work. With updates it takes a couple hours
> rather than a couple days of hunting for help and reading tutorials and
> trying and often failing at fixes.
> One of the things I plan to work at is learning to install a tar
> package I have struggled with this several times without any success.
> It is not often that it is needed but now and then it would be nice.
> The upside to what I am doing is it lets me keep learning while having
> the few programs I have not been able to get up and running in Ubuntu.
> Maybe this will help someone else who is struggling to learn
> Linux and finding it tough sledding.
>

> Doug

Bravo to you for taking such steps to do your vido work w/linux/Ubuntu.
One thing you might look into is (if you have a powerful enough system
w/plenty of memory) is running the WinXP using VirtualBox or VMWare;
that way you don't have to reboot/dualboot to run the programs that are
WinXP essential. You can easily have the WinXP run on a second workspace
and flip between the two; just be sure to 'Pause' the WinXP when you are
not using it so that it doesn't eat up your CPU resources.

Obviously you'd need to test the Wacom etc., in the VM, but if you can
get them to work there then you should be good to go.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Doug Pollard

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/11/2009 12:54 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> [snips]
>
>> Here is my solution. I have now a dual boot system were xp can
>> be used for a few of the things I have not been able to do in Ubuntu. I
>> have Ubuntu 8.04 on my second hard drive to do video on and almost
>> everything else I do. My solution to things that break from updates or
>> what ever reason is that I store all my files on an external drive. This
>> also helps to keep my hard drive from filling up with big numbers of
>> Gigs of video. If I break something and can't fix it I just reinstall
>> Ubuntu and go on with my work. With updates it takes a couple hours
>> rather than a couple days of hunting for help and reading tutorials and
>> trying and often failing at fixes.
>> One of the things I plan to work at is learning to install a tar
>> package I have struggled with this several times without any success.
>> It is not often that it is needed but now and then it would be nice.
>> The upside to what I am doing is it lets me keep learning while having
>> the few programs I have not been able to get up and running in Ubuntu.
>> Maybe this will help someone else who is struggling to learn
>> Linux and finding it tough sledding.
>>

>> Doug
>>

> Bravo to you for taking such steps to do your vido work w/linux/Ubuntu.
> One thing you might look into is (if you have a powerful enough system
> w/plenty of memory) is running the WinXP using VirtualBox or VMWare;
> that way you don't have to reboot/dualboot to run the programs that are
> WinXP essential. You can easily have the WinXP run on a second workspace
> and flip between the two; just be sure to 'Pause' the WinXP when you are
> not using it so that it doesn't eat up your CPU resources.
>
> Obviously you'd need to test the Wacom etc., in the VM, but if you can
> get them to work there then you should be good to go.

For the time being I have what I need that works and I need to use
wacom. When I finish up with that I may very well try vmware. They are
working on getting Wacom to workbetter in Linux and I will be keeping in
touch with that. I also ran into a couple fellows here in Harrisonbirg
Va. For what I concider a very modest fee they are going to help me
get better at working in the terminal. With a little luck this may
make a difference. They seem to think they can help. A young lady told
me the one fellow is a pure Geek and has the patience of Joab. Whe'el
see,hope she's right.
Doug

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 AM
musicman

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/11/2009 12:54 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>> [snips]
>>
> For the time being I have what I need that works and I need to use
> wacom. When I finish up with that I may very well try vmware. They are
> working on getting Wacom to workbetter in Linux and I will be keeping in
> touch with that. I also ran into a couple fellows here in Harrisonbirg
> Va. For what I concider a very modest fee they are going to help me
> get better at working in the terminal. With a little luck this may
> make a difference. They seem to think they can help. A young lady told
> me the one fellow is a pure Geek and has the patience of Joab. Whe'el
> see,hope she's right.
> Doug

Hey, thanks for writing - I think every project needs a "great work,
but I can't go on" email - I've written them myself

In regards to learning about the terminal/command line, I found that
with time and practice, it got much much easier.

The other tip I have is when you try something and it doesn't work,
grab the last error message and google it with the word ubuntu in
front my last one was installing plumi on plone; ubuntu
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'objectIds' )

It is almost guaranteed that someone else will have had the problem.
If not always ubuntu, then often redhat or debian. So many times it's
been one little almost insignificant probllem that has stood between
what II wanted and what I got

good luck mate,
L.

--
because "The Wire" makes "Law and Order" or "CSI" look like an episode
of "The Brady Bunch."

http://www.stuffjournalistslike.com/2008/12/312-the-wire.html

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 07:30 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:

> For the time being I have what I need that works and I need to use
> wacom. When I finish up with that I may very well try vmware. They are
> working on getting Wacom to workbetter in Linux and I will be keeping in
> touch with that. I also ran into a couple fellows here in Harrisonbirg
> Va. For what I concider a very modest fee they are going to help me
> get better at working in the terminal. With a little luck this may
> make a difference. They seem to think they can help. A young lady told
> me the one fellow is a pure Geek and has the patience of Joab. Whe'el
> see,hope she's right.
> Doug

I'd recommend trying VirtualBox first (the PEUL version) as (to me
anyway) it is much easier to setup. See:

http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

For Wacom, perhaps these will help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WacomTroubleshooting

Hint: enter 'wacom' in the search box on either of those pages and
you'll find additional information. For example:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Doug Pollard

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/12/2009 07:30 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> For the time being I have what I need that works and I need to use
>> wacom. When I finish up with that I may very well try vmware. They are
>> working on getting Wacom to workbetter in Linux and I will be keeping in
>> touch with that. I also ran into a couple fellows here in Harrisonbirg
>> Va. For what I concider a very modest fee they are going to help me
>> get better at working in the terminal. With a little luck this may
>> make a difference. They seem to think they can help. A young lady told
>> me the one fellow is a pure Geek and has the patience of Joab. Whe'el
>> see,hope she's right.
>> Doug
>>

> I'd recommend trying VirtualBox first (the PEUL version) as (to me
> anyway) it is much easier to setup. See:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
>
> For Wacom, perhaps these will help:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WacomTroubleshooting
>
> Hint: enter 'wacom' in the search box on either of those pages and
> you'll find additional information. For example:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Yes I've been there and tried that. The bamboo pad and sylis has
features that does not yet work in Ubuntu. They are still working on it
and i would think they would have it all working before too long. I
wanted the stylus to work in Gimp but there was not some of th painting
and retouching options I needed. Presently I am editing pictures for
video there and then taking them to Painter in xp and that works well.
The video I am doing has both Pictures and vidio in it so I am editing
and building it in Cinelerra. I expect to be working on this until this
time next year. I really don't want to work with something that does
not quit work yet. I will switch when the guys on wacom list tell me
it's all up and running.

Doug