Old 12-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Willis

Default Synaptic error

I tried to run synaptic today and received;

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I brought up the Terminal and entered the command both with and without
sudo and received;

bill@bill-spare:~$ dpkg -configure -a

dpkg: unknown option -o

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages[*];

Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;

Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;

Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;

Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) [*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or
`more' !

With or without the sudo it returns the same result. As a newbie, I'm lost.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:23 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Willis <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> said:
> I tried to run synaptic today and received;
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>

> I brought up the Terminal and entered the command both with and
> without sudo and received;
>
> bill@bill-spare:~$ dpkg -configure -a
>
> dpkg: unknown option -o

Re-read the error message. It asked you to type:
<dpkg --configure -a>
but you typed:
<dpkg -configure -a>

See the difference? Try again with the correct command.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Ric Moore

I keep getting this:

E: The package cache file is corrupted
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

How do I fix it? Thanx, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM
lanzen

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 02:19:08 Ric Moore wrote:

> I keep getting this:
>
> E: The package cache file is corrupted
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>

> How do I fix it? Thanx, Ric

Don't know... I had the same yesterday evening. I updated and it seems fine
now.

--
lanzen

Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, lanzen wrote:
> > How do I fix it? Thanx, Ric
>
> Don't know... I had the same yesterday evening. I updated and it seems fine
> now.

Have you tried: dpkg -a --configure

That fixes a lot of problems... not sure about a cache problem.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 22 December 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
> I keep getting this:
>
> E: The package cache file is corrupted
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>

> How do I fix it? Thanx, Ric

Look at apt-cache.

Supposedly it will rebuild the cache.

apt-cache gencaches
gencaches performs the same operation as apt-get check. It builds
the source and package caches from the sources in sources.list(5)
and from /var/lib/dpkg/status.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 16:07 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> dpkg -a --configure

Just tried that and it appears to fix the problem. Thanks! Merry Xmas!
Ric

BTW, I am fully updated.

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Steven Vollom

Dear Bruce,
> > dpkg -a --configure

What does this command do? Would it fix my problem with windows opening in an
inactive state, when I turn on my computer? I have to type kwin in a
terminal and leave the terminal open, for my windows to function. If I close
the terminal, kwin ceases to function. Thanks!

Steven

Old 12-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>Dear Bruce,
>
>> > dpkg -a --configure
>
>What does this command do? Would it fix my problem with windows opening in
> an inactive state, when I turn on my computer? I have to type kwin in a
> terminal and leave the terminal open, for my windows to function. If I
> close the terminal, kwin ceases to function. Thanks!
>
>Steven

That should be an easy fix, type "kwin &"ENTER, without the quotes of course.
That '&' divorces kwin from that shell and makes it usable for other things
or it can be closed. But I never close a shell unless it gets its prompt
trashed, I'm always needing a shell it seems.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)