Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Alain Muls

Default upgrade 7.10 -> 8.10

Hi

When upgradin ga system from 7.1 to 8.10, should we pass by 8.04 or just jump stright into 8.10?

Tx/Alain

Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Nils Kassube

Alain Muls wrote:
> When upgradin ga system from 7.1 to 8.10, should we pass by 8.04 or
> just jump stright into 8.10?

The direct upgrade 7.10 -> 8.10 isn't supported. Better use the double
upgrade route. See <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes>.

Nils

Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> writes:
> When upgradin ga system from 7.1 to 8.10, should we pass by 8.04 or
> just jump stright into 8.10?

It is recommended to upgrade to 8.04 first:

An upgrade is the process of going from an earlier version of Ubuntu
to a newer version of Ubuntu. An example of this would be going from
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy
Heron). Skipping versions is not advised as it may cause damage to
your system. If you are using an earlier version, and want to 'skip'
a version, the safest way is to backup your data and do a fresh
installation, or to progressively upgrade to each successive
version.
-- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19