Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 PM
elmo

Default installing unstopcp.gz

It's been so long since I last installed a tarred file that I've
forgotten how to do it. That's what you get
when you rely solely on apt and synaptic package manager for all
installations.

I have "unstopcp.gz" waiting in /home/elmo. What do I do to install
"unstopcp" ?

elmo

Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 AM
"Michael R. Head"

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 19:48 -0500, elmo wrote:
> It's been so long since I last installed a tarred file that I've
> forgotten how to do it. That's what you get
> when you rely solely on apt and synaptic package manager for all
> installations.
>
> I have "unstopcp.gz" waiting in /home/elmo. What do I do to install
> "unstopcp" ?

Depends. If unstopcp.gz is a compressed file containing an executable
(unstopcp), then just do:
gunzip unstopcp.gz
chmod a+x unstopcp
./unstopcp

If it's not, then who knows? If it's actually unstopcp.tgz, then usually
you would do:
tar zxvf unstopcp.tgz
cd unstopcp

At this point you'd either "./configure; make; sudo make install" or run
unstopcp (depending on if it's just a source tarball or a binary).

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

Old 12-25-2007, 02:05 PM
elmo

Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 19:48 -0500, elmo wrote:
>
>> It's been so long since I last installed a tarred file that I've
>> forgotten how to do it. That's what you get
>> when you rely solely on apt and synaptic package manager for all
>> installations.
>>
>> I have "unstopcp.gz" waiting in /home/elmo. What do I do to install
>> "unstopcp" ?
>>

> Depends. If unstopcp.gz is a compressed file containing an executable
> (unstopcp), then just do:
> gunzip unstopcp.gz
> chmod a+x unstopcp
> ./unstopcp
>
> If it's not, then who knows? If it's actually unstopcp.tgz, then usually
> you would do:
> tar zxvf unstopcp.tgz
> cd unstopcp
>
> At this point you'd either "./configure; make; sudo make install" or run
> unstopcp (depending on if it's just a source tarball or a binary).

gunzip unstopcp.gz
chmod a+x unstopcp
./unstopcp

This did it, loud and clear...so easy when you know how.

Thank you,