Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Linda

Default Getting dvd to play

I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
can not read from resource.
If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
title then blank screen

At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
play?

In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
are quite a few of them?
Thanks
Linda

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:25, Linda wrote:
> I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
> instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
> last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
> can not read from resource.
> If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
> the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
> in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
> etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
> title then blank screen
>
> At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
> does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
> play?
>
> In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
> are quite a few of them?
> Thanks
> Linda

Hi Linda.

Have you installed the libdvdcss2 package , which is necessary for decrypting
most commercial dvd's. You can get it from the medibuntu repo, details below.

Do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring

This will get you the keys for the medibuntu repo.

Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list.d

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free

Now do an apt-get update, then, apt get install libdvdcss2

As to which app works best, all I can say is that usually I find VLC works
best, but ironically on both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, I can't get
it to play a DVD at all. Anyway we'll leave that aside, as I'm working on it,
and have other distros on the same machine where VLC works with no problems.

I do though have both Totem, and Ogle playing DVD's ok on Ubuntu Intrepid
8.10.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM
"H.S."

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:25, Linda wrote:
>> I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
>> instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
>> last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
>> can not read from resource.
>> If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
>> the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
>> in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
>> etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
>> title then blank screen
>>
>> At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
>> does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
>> play?
>>
>> In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
>> are quite a few of them?
>> Thanks
>> Linda
>
> Hi Linda.
>
> Have you installed the libdvdcss2 package , which is necessary for decrypting
> most commercial dvd's. You can get it from the medibuntu repo, details below.
>
> Do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
>
> This will get you the keys for the medibuntu repo.
>
> Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list.d
>
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free
>
> Now do an apt-get update, then, apt get install libdvdcss2
>
> As to which app works best, all I can say is that usually I find VLC works
> best, but ironically on both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, I can't get
> it to play a DVD at all. Anyway we'll leave that aside, as I'm working on it,
> and have other distros on the same machine where VLC works with no problems.
>
> I do though have both Totem, and Ogle playing DVD's ok on Ubuntu Intrepid
> 8.10.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Hi,

I have installed libdvdcss2 in Hardy and some other related packages.
However, I am not able to play DVD's properly in xine (colors are not
okay) and not at all in vlc. VLC apparently cannot find any filesystem
on the disc.

I will be following this thread in the hope of getting some ideas how to
solve this. I have posted about this problem earlier though.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Linda

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:25, Linda wrote:
>
>> I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
>> instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
>> last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
>> can not read from resource.
>> If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
>> the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
>> in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
>> etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
>> title then blank screen
>>
>> At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
>> does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
>> play?
>>
>> In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
>> are quite a few of them?
>> Thanks
>> Linda
>>

> Hi Linda.
>
> Have you installed the libdvdcss2 package , which is necessary for decrypting
> most commercial dvd's. You can get it from the medibuntu repo, details below.
>
> Do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
>
> This will get you the keys for the medibuntu repo.
>
> Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list.d
>
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free
>
> Now do an apt-get update, then, apt get install libdvdcss2
>
> As to which app works best, all I can say is that usually I find VLC works
> best, but ironically on both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, I can't get
> it to play a DVD at all. Anyway we'll leave that aside, as I'm working on it,
> and have other distros on the same machine where VLC works with no problems.
>
> I do though have both Totem, and Ogle playing DVD's ok on Ubuntu Intrepid
> 8.10.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Yes I installed libdvdcss2 I tried again just in case but it shows
libdvdcss2 is already the newest version.
Any other ideas?
Linda

Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 AM
"H.S."

Linda wrote:
> I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
> instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
> last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
> can not read from resource.
> If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
> the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
> in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
> etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
> title then blank screen
>
> At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
> does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.

I have seen this exact problem in a computer running Hardy. I hope
somebody can shed some light on this problem.

> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
> play?

Could you try one more thing? When you insert a movie DVD in to the
drive, you should get an icon on your desktop with a label beneath it.

I think you should also get a folder with the same name in /media
folder. Let us say it is called /media/MyMovie. If that is so, then
please this command (install xine if needed) and see what happens:
$> xine dvd://media/MyMovie

If all goes well, xine should play your dvd and it would mean your
libdvdcss2 is working.

> In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
> are quite a few of them?

My preference in Ubuntu is Totem since it is the default player. More
precisely, I expect and hope that it works for DVDs. However, other
players that I have luck with are xine (or gxine), vlc, kaffeine(it is
for KDE though), mplayer. But I won't be surprised if there are others
as well.

Regards.

> Thanks
> Linda

ever having been read.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 AM
"H.S."

Linda wrote:
> I finally got around to installing a dvd player. I followed the
> instructions for Resticted Formats Playing DVD someone posted for me
> last week, but I get an error message from Totem Movie Player that it
> can not read from resource.
> If I try to play a commercial dvd from VLC I get a title page showing
> the movies title with a choice to play movie and some other things but
> in about 1 second it disappears and I have the choice to push play pause
> etc across the top and a blank white box. If I push play it repeats
> title then blank screen
>
> At this point I can play a home movie dvd with Totem or VLC although it
> does give me a green stripe across the bottom of the frame.
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get the commercial dvds to
> play?
>
> In your opinion which program is the best choice for playing DVD there
> are quite a few of them?
> Thanks
> Linda

By any chance, is your system a 64 bit amd system? If not, what is it
exactly?

In the case where I see a similar problem, the system is a 64 bit amd.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 AM
norman

< snip >

> Yes I installed libdvdcss2 I tried again just in case but it shows
> libdvdcss2 is already the newest version.
> Any other ideas?

Just a thought, have you set 'regionset' for your region? I live in the
UK so my region is 2.

Norman

Old 01-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Linda

> Could you try one more thing? When you insert a movie DVD in to the
> drive, you should get an icon on your desktop with a label beneath it.
>
> I think you should also get a folder with the same name in /media
> folder. Let us say it is called /media/MyMovie. If that is so, then
> please this command (install xine if needed) and see what happens:
> $> xine dvd://media/MyMovie
>
> If all goes well, xine should play your dvd and it would mean your
> libdvdcss2 is working.

I installed xine. First of all it solved the problem of the green line
that runs across the bottom of the frame. I tried running the original
dvd which is Whale Rider I checked out from the library. It gets trough
all the legal notices but then stops
with error The source can't be read. maybe you don't have enough rights
for this or source doesn't contain data (eg not disc in drive) (Error
reading NAV packet)

This is what the terminal showed with alot more Get Key messages

libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/scd0 mounted on /media/cdrom0
for CSS authentication

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000018b
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00000219
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0003fd4f
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB (0x0003fd4f)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 8
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x002a3360
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0

Then I tried watching the beginning Harry Potter and Its A wonderful
Life they seem to work fine.

Also yes this is an AMD-64 bit machine

Thanks
Linda

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Rashkae

Linda wrote:
>> Could you try one more thing? When you insert a movie DVD in to the
>> drive, you should get an icon on your desktop with a label beneath it.
>>
>> I think you should also get a folder with the same name in /media
>> folder. Let us say it is called /media/MyMovie. If that is so, then
>> please this command (install xine if needed) and see what happens:
>> $> xine dvd://media/MyMovie
>>
>> If all goes well, xine should play your dvd and it would mean your
>> libdvdcss2 is working.
>>

> I installed xine. First of all it solved the problem of the green line
> that runs across the bottom of the frame. I tried running the original
> dvd which is Whale Rider I checked out from the library. It gets trough
> all the legal notices but then stops
> with error The source can't be read. maybe you don't have enough rights
> for this or source doesn't contain data (eg not disc in drive) (Error
> reading NAV packet)
>
> This is what the terminal showed with alot more Get Key messages
>
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/scd0 mounted on /media/cdrom0
> for CSS authentication
>
> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000018b
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00000219
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0003fd4f
> libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB (0x0003fd4f)!!
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 8
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x002a3360
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
>
> Then I tried watching the beginning Harry Potter and Its A wonderful
> Life they seem to work fine.
>
> Also yes this is an AMD-64 bit machine
>
> Thanks
> Linda

I haven't followed this thread, so forgive if I'm repeating or offering
non relevant ideas.

I propose 2 things to try.

1. Delete the .dvdcss directory in your home directory. This directory
keeps a chached copy of dvd css keys for faster access to those same
discs, but strange things have been known to happen if bad data gets in
there somehow.

2. When you try to play the dvd that doesn't work, use the 'dmesg'
command in a console, and look over the most recent messages for I/O
errors. It's possible the dvd in question has a damaged area, or that
your DVD drive is simply not able to reliably read this disc.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Linda

norman wrote:
> < snip >
>

>> Yes I installed libdvdcss2 I tried again just in case but it shows
>> libdvdcss2 is already the newest version.
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> Just a thought, have you set 'regionset' for your region? I live in the
> UK so my region is 2.
>
> Norman

I started looking into how to do regionset and it talks about /dev/dvd
my computer currently has no /dev/dvd The output from xine shows it
uses /dev/sdc0 mounted as /media/cdrom0 could this be contributing to my
problem? How would I create /dev/dvd if I need it? If I do not need to
create /dev/dvd should I give regionset /dev/scd0 as the path to the DVD
device?
Linda