Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Forrest Myers

Default USB seiral at 50-Baud problem

I'm writing an RTTY program thathas to work through a USB to serial
converter. It works if I set the baud rate to 150 Hz but fails at all
speeds below that. At 150 Baud and above, the sending is normal. Below
that, the thing just puts out a blip every once in a while. Since ham
RTTY runs at 45.45 baud 5-bits this will not work.

Any ideas on how to get a USB to serial converter to run at 50 Baud?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with all the updates.

73,
Forrest
AG4ND

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Nils Kassube

Forrest Myers wrote:
> I'm writing an RTTY program thathas to work through a USB to serial
> converter. It works if I set the baud rate to 150 Hz but fails at all
> speeds below that. At 150 Baud and above, the sending is normal. Below
> that, the thing just puts out a blip every once in a while. Since ham
> RTTY runs at 45.45 baud 5-bits this will not work.

It depends on the chip inside the USB - serial converter. If it doesn't
support the desired baud rate you're out of luck. E.g. the PL2303 in my
converter supports 75 baud and higher baud rates but not 50 or 45.45.

Nils

Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Toby Dickenson

Forrest Myers wrote:

> Any ideas on how to get a USB to serial converter to run at 50 Baud?

You may be out of luck; Not every device will support baud rates that low. To find out for sure you may need to open up your converter, locate the usb/serial chip, then google for its datasheet.

We use this part in our designs. The datasheet reports its slowest baud rate is 300, although I have never used it that slow.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232BM.htm

It is disappointing that you did not get a better error message when configuring 50 baud.