Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM
steve

Default MySQL install password?

stan wrote:
> I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
> MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
> that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
>
> /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
> password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
>
> But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
> what password got set by the installer?

try this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
stan

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37:15AM -0500, steve wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
> > MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
> > that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
> >
> > /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
> > password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
> >
> > But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
> > what password got set by the installer?
> >

> try this:
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html

Looks handy, but it does not seem to work in Intrepid

root@boo-boo:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/mysql reset-password
Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status

programs.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
steve

stan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37:15AM -0500, steve wrote:
>> stan wrote:
>>> I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
>>> MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
>>> that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
>>> password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
>>>
>>> But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
>>> what password got set by the installer?
>>>
>> try this:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html
>
> Looks handy, but it does not seem to work in Intrepid
>
> root@boo-boo:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/mysql reset-password
> Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status

duh, sorry, wrong one, this will work

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.0

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
stan

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37:15AM -0500, steve wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
> > MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
> > that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
> >
> > /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
> > password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
> >
> > But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
> > what password got set by the installer?
> >

> try this:
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html

Well, I have really crreated a mess now :-( Reading further down that
article I ran acroos what appeared to be the solutin. I ran it, before I
ead on down further. Unfrotuantely the instruction there changed the
password for _all_ users!! So, at that point I panicked. I have tried
removeing the mysql-server-5.0 package, and reinstalling it, but that
fails.

Can anyone help me out of this mess ?
programs.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Matthew Flaschen

stan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37:15AM -0500, steve wrote:
>> stan wrote:
>>> I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
>>> MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
>>> that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
>>> password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
>>>
>>> But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
>>> what password got set by the installer?
>>>
>> try this:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html
>>
> Well, I have really crreated a mess now :-( Reading further down that
> article I ran acroos what appeared to be the solutin. I ran it, before I
> ead on down further. Unfrotuantely the instruction there changed the
> password for _all_ users!!

Since you now know the root password, you can easily change the password
of other users. Simply log onto the mysql console as root then follow
the instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/set-password.html

The basic format is:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'bob' = PASSWORD('newpass');

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
stan

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:21:47PM -0500, steve wrote:
> stan wrote:

> >> try this:
> >>
> >> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html
> >
> > Looks handy, but it does not seem to work in Intrepid
> >
> > root@boo-boo:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/mysql reset-password
> > Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status
> >

> duh, sorry, wrong one, this will work
>

> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.0

Unfortunately, I have made a real mess of things at this time. How can I
completly remove all traces of MySQL, so that I can do a clean re-install?
programs.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:25:10AM -0500, stan wrote:

> /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
> password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
>
> But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
> what password got set by the installer?

I believe on a default Ubuntu install, you can do the command with
sudo and you are in essence mysql root user. Technically, I believe
the mysql root password is blank (on default Ubuntu). Yes. So just
telling the system you are root, works. Also, doing:

sudo mysql

should get you root access at the mysql shell prompt, and from there
you can do whatever else you need to do, including add users, set
passwords, etc.

So your command probably should have worked fine with sudo on there
(assuming a default Ubuntu install).

--
Hal

Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Matthew Flaschen

stan wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have made a real mess of things at this time. How can I
> completly remove all traces of MySQL, so that I can do a clean re-install?

Something like:

sudo apt-get remove mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0 --purge

Matt Flaschen