Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Tobias Verbeke

Default continuous system speaker from booting on

L.S.,

I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
some days I live with the system
speaker producing one continuous beep
from boot time till I shut down.

Can I provide logs for someone to shed
light on this strange phenomenon ?

Many thanks in advance,
Tobias

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Ray Parrish

Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
> on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
> some days I live with the system
> speaker producing one continuous beep
> from boot time till I shut down.
>
> Can I provide logs for someone to shed
> light on this strange phenomenon ?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Tobias

I may not be much help at diagnosing the problem, but as a workaround in
the meantime to get some relief from the noise, you could open your
volume controls, and mute the system speaker. 8-) If the system speaker
doesn't show on the volume controls, you will need to adjust the
preferences via the right click menu on the volume control icon in the
menu bar.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Jason Crain

Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
> on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
> some days I live with the system
> speaker producing one continuous beep
> from boot time till I shut down.
>
> Can I provide logs for someone to shed
> light on this strange phenomenon ?

Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Tobias Verbeke

Hi Jason,

Jason Crain wrote:
> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>> I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
>> on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
>> some days I live with the system
>> speaker producing one continuous beep
>> from boot time till I shut down.
>>
>> Can I provide logs for someone to shed
>> light on this strange phenomenon ?
>>

> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?

No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.

One error message I was able to read during boot was
something along

Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d

Thanks for your reply. Best,
Tobias

Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Jason Crain

Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Jason Crain wrote:
>
>> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
>>> on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
>>> some days I live with the system
>>> speaker producing one continuous beep
>>> from boot time till I shut down.
>>>
>>> Can I provide logs for someone to shed
>>> light on this strange phenomenon ?
>>>

>> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?
>>

> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>
> One error message I was able to read during boot was
> something along
>
> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d

I don't know what the 'Unable to open' message means, but you might try
running fsck on your filesystems. If nothing else works, you might be
able to stop the beeping by running

sudo rmmod pcspkr

and add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Ray Parrish

Jason Crain wrote:
> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Jason Crain wrote:

>>> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?
>>>

>> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>>
>> One error message I was able to read during boot was
>> something along
>>
>> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d
>>

> I don't know what the 'Unable to open' message means, but you might try
> running fsck on your filesystems. If nothing else works, you might be
> able to stop the beeping by running
>
> sudo rmmod pcspkr
>
> and add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Well, that's a workaround fix all right, but it doesn't address the
underlying problem which is making his pc speaker sound off continuously
like that. There's something wrong there that needs fixing, which may
manifest itself in other ways if not correctly diagnosed and fixed. So
far I'm suspecting some kind of hardware problem, but I could be wrong.
If it is a hardware problem, it could get worse over time, and
eventually cost the OP a lot more to fix later.

I do have an excellent resource in my Uncle, who is a very capable
electronics technician that works on computers these days, so I will
fire off a quick email to him to see if he's ever heard of this
particular problem, or can suggest a diagnostic method to try. I'll get
back to you as soon as I hear back from him. 8-)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Tobias Verbeke

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Jason Crain wrote:
>> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jason,

>>> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>>>
>>> One error message I was able to read during boot was
>>> something along
>>>
>>> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d
>>>

>> I don't know what the 'Unable to open' message means, but you might try
>> running fsck on your filesystems. If nothing else works, you might be
>> able to stop the beeping by running
>>
>> sudo rmmod pcspkr
>>
>> and add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>>

> Well, that's a workaround fix all right, but it doesn't address the
> underlying problem which is making his pc speaker sound off continuously
> like that. There's something wrong there that needs fixing, which may
> manifest itself in other ways if not correctly diagnosed and fixed. So
> far I'm suspecting some kind of hardware problem, but I could be wrong.
> If it is a hardware problem, it could get worse over time, and
> eventually cost the OP a lot more to fix later.
>
> I do have an excellent resource in my Uncle, who is a very capable
> electronics technician that works on computers these days, so I will
> fire off a quick email to him to see if he's ever heard of this
> particular problem, or can suggest a diagnostic method to try. I'll get
> back to you as soon as I hear back from him. 8-)

Thanks Ray and Jayson. Actually I already had the pcspkr in the
blacklist when observing the phenomenon.

I followed Jayson's advice to conduct a fsck and during my
last reboot (a few minutes ago) the speaker made an intermittent sound
for 10 seconds and then got muted.

The continuous beep seems to have disappeared, so either there
is something random happening or the fsck has had a positive impact.

Thanks again,
Tobias

Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Ray Parrish

Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Jason Crain wrote:
>
>> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Jaunty alpha (up to date)
>>> on a Compal JHL90 laptop and since
>>> some days I live with the system
>>> speaker producing one continuous beep
>>> from boot time till I shut down.
>>>
>>> Can I provide logs for someone to shed
>>> light on this strange phenomenon ?
>>>

>> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?
>>

> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>
> One error message I was able to read during boot was
> something along
>
> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d
>
> Thanks for your reply. Best,
> Tobias

Ok, I forwarded your problem to my electronics technician Uncle, and
here is his reply to my query about your problem.

The problem sounds like it could be hardware - and in a laptop, that can
be hard to fix. I don't know if he is sure the tone is coming from the
sound system speakers or the beeper on the mainboard - but I also am not
sure laptops use a beeper anymore since the sound system is integrated
on the mainboard and could provide the beep code warnings (from post
errors) through that system. The continuous tone beep code on most
system BIOS' means a power supply problem - no warnings at all usually
signifies a dead CPU/mainboard problem. Errors that serious do not
allow even a display, thus the beep codes.

If the usual volume control display is available with the Compaq
laptop/Linux combo, he could bring that up and try muting or reducing
the volume of each sound source individually. If the source is just one
input, troubleshoot that input (synthesizer or MIDI source problems
could be software), Mike or Line inputs might mean something is
connected that is receiving crosstalk from the sound system output - not
likely since the tone frequency or volume would change with any movement
that affected the input cables or devices. If no individual input
reduces or quiets the tone, then the master volume and mute buttons will
probably not help either, indicating a problem in the sound chip (a
surface mount component on the mainboard). Open filter capacitors
around the sound chip could allow a low frequency sound due to feedback
via the power supply busses (called motorboating) and might be obvious
from the swelled appearance of the capacitors.

I hope his answer can shed some light on the problem.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Tobias Verbeke

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>> Jason Crain wrote:

>>> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?
>>>
>> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>>
>> One error message I was able to read during boot was
>> something along
>>
>> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d
>>
> Ok, I forwarded your problem to my electronics technician Uncle, and
> here is his reply to my query about your problem.
>
> The problem sounds like it could be hardware - and in a laptop, that can
> be hard to fix. I don't know if he is sure the tone is coming from the
> sound system speakers or the beeper on the mainboard - but I also am not
> sure laptops use a beeper anymore since the sound system is integrated
> on the mainboard and could provide the beep code warnings (from post
> errors) through that system. The continuous tone beep code on most
> system BIOS' means a power supply problem - no warnings at all usually
> signifies a dead CPU/mainboard problem. Errors that serious do not
> allow even a display, thus the beep codes.
>
> If the usual volume control display is available with the Compaq
> laptop/Linux combo, he could bring that up and try muting or reducing
> the volume of each sound source individually. If the source is just one
> input, troubleshoot that input (synthesizer or MIDI source problems
> could be software), Mike or Line inputs might mean something is
> connected that is receiving crosstalk from the sound system output - not
> likely since the tone frequency or volume would change with any movement
> that affected the input cables or devices. If no individual input
> reduces or quiets the tone, then the master volume and mute buttons will
> probably not help either, indicating a problem in the sound chip (a
> surface mount component on the mainboard). Open filter capacitors
> around the sound chip could allow a low frequency sound due to feedback
> via the power supply busses (called motorboating) and might be obvious
> from the swelled appearance of the capacitors.
>
> I hope his answer can shed some light on the problem.

Thanks Ray (and electronics technician Uncle) for this extensive reply.
I'll post back whenever I discover anything new / relevant.

Best,
Tobias