Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Patrick Newberry

Default usb & Sakar digital camera 75379

I have this cheap not worth much dollar store type* digital camera a Sakar 75379
*
So until I get some more cash together to get a real digital camera, I figure I’d have some fun with it and just play around.
*
It came with a cd that had something called photo tag express on it and I can extract photo from it (it lists the camera as dual mode on the camera select list) on a windows machine.
*
I then installed gtkam on my Ubuntu machine and on its camera selection list it shows a Sakar 77379 (and maybe a couple of others but that is the closest in name).* However it does not seem to be able to inititilize the camera (that is the message: cannot
initialize camera).
*
The number of course does not match: that is the list shows* 77379 rather than the actual camera 75379.
*
Also** gtkam shows three items in a list for USB:* that is
Universal bus (USB: )
Universal bus (USB: 004, 004)
Universal bus(USB: 002, 005)
*
I have no idea what the difference is, but I tried all three.
*
So not that this is very important, but it would be nice to know if it’s possible to pull photos from this dollar store camera.
*
Any ideas?* Also can somebody explain the difference in the USB’s listed above.
*
Thanks.
*
Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com
*
*
Lo bueno de esto es lo malo que se esta poniendo.
*
*
*

Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I have this cheap not worth much dollar store type digital
> camera a Sakar 75379
>
> So until I get some more cash together to get a real
> digital camera, I figure I'd have some fun with it and
> just play around.
>
> It came with a cd that had something called photo tag
> express on it and I can extract photo from it (it lists the
> camera as dual mode on the camera select list) on a windows
> machine.
>
> I then installed gtkam on my Ubuntu machine and on its
> camera selection list it shows a Sakar 77379 (and maybe a
> couple of others but that is the closest in name). However
> it does not seem to be able to inititilize the camera (that
> is the message: cannot initialize camera).
>
> The number of course does not match: that is the list shows
> 77379 rather than the actual camera 75379.
>
> Also gtkam shows three items in a list for USB: that is
> Universal bus (USB: )
> Universal bus (USB: 004, 004)
> Universal bus(USB: 002, 005)
>
> I have no idea what the difference is, but I tried all
> three.
>
> So not that this is very important, but it would be nice to
> know if it's possible to pull photos from this dollar
> store camera.
>
> Any ideas? Also can somebody explain the difference in the
> USB's listed above.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat
> www.gypsyfarm.com<http://www.gypsyfarm.com>
>

> Lo bueno de esto es lo malo que se esta poniendo.

Have you considered digikam, a kde program but works in
gnome. I think it offers more camera support but doesn't
have your exact camera model listed either. I does have
Sakar Kidz Cam model and four other models. It also
has a manual camera setup in which you may have success
with your camera. Worth a try anyway. Not sure at all
what your usb entries mean unless it the port designations
for your 3 ports. Do you have three usb ports? On my
machines the usb ports are usually listed as #1, 2, 3 and
so on. I used digikam since day one for a digital camera
and never had a problem with it but my Sony model was
listed. It'll only take a little of your time to check
it out. HTH
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 AM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Patrick Newberry <PNewberry@habitat.org> wrote:
> I have this cheap not worth much dollar store type digital camera a Sakar
> 75379
>
> So until I get some more cash together to get a real digital camera, I
> figure I'd have some fun with it and jucplay around.

I once upon a time tried one of those types of cameras, except mine
was a $10 key chain type camera, at a discount grocery store, and the
manufacturer was someone named "Shark". I was able to get the camera
working by using gphoto2, but I had to compile the most recent version
from a SVN type repository to do it. That was a couple of years ago,
and I ended up getting a Kodak C310.

Looking at the gphoto2 page, I would probably be inclined to go with
gphoto2 and the related libraries and gtkam, since your camera speems
to be listed in the support page[1], but it is also tagged as
"Experimental", so be prepared for some bug related feedback to the
developers (one thing I haod to do when trying to get the Shark $10
camera to work). Trouble is, that shark only had a two-character LCD
window for feedback, was too hard to use, and only could do 100K pixel
- low budget cameras now are 7-8 megapixels, and mine is a 4.3
megapixel, which is good enough for a ca. 2006 budget camera for
someone like me who isn't a photography nut .

[1]http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 AM
NoOp

On 01/10/2009 06:55 PM, David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Patrick Newberry <PNewberry@habitat.org> wrote:
>> I have this cheap not worth much dollar store type digital camera a Sakar
>> 75379
>>
>> So until I get some more cash together to get a real digital camera, I
>> figure I'd have some fun with it and jucplay around.
>

> I once upon a time tried one of those types of cameras, except mine
> was a $10 key chain type camera, at a discount grocery store, and the
> manufacturer was someone named "Shark". I was able to get the camera
> working by using gphoto2, but I had to compile the most recent version
> from a SVN type repository to do it. That was a couple of years ago,
> and I ended up getting a Kodak C310.
>
> Looking at the gphoto2 page, I would probably be inclined to go with
> gphoto2 and the related libraries and gtkam, since your camera speems
> to be listed in the support page[1], but it is also tagged as
> "Experimental", so be prepared for some bug related feedback to the
> developers (one thing I haod to do when trying to get the Shark $10
> camera to work). Trouble is, that shark only had a two-character LCD
> window for feedback, was too hard to use, and only could do 100K pixel
> - low budget cameras now are 7-8 megapixels, and mine is a 4.3
> megapixel, which is good enough for a ca. 2006 budget camera for
> someone like me who isn't a photography nut .
>
> [1]http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

If you open gthumb and click on File|Import Photos you can then click on
the camera icon and then tick "Choose from the catalog". The 'Shark' is
listed as are a few Sakar's. But no 75379 that I could find - only the
77379.