Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Program to play .3gp video files from Nokia cellphone

Although both Mplayer and VLC can both play the video of .3gp video
files from a Nokia 6288, neither can play the audio. What Linux media
player can play the audio of the .3gp files? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Mariano Draghi

El Tue, 25 Dec 2007 01:29:00 +0200, Dotan Cohen escribi:

> Although both Mplayer and VLC can both play the video of .3gp video
> files from a Nokia 6288, neither can play the audio. What Linux media
> player can play the audio of the .3gp files? Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Hi,

I've found the "Mobile Media Converter" [1] very useful. The Linux
version is a simple archive (tarball) with a custom ffmpeg compiled with
all the extra stuff, and a simple GUI to convert from the standard (and
not so standard...) mobile formats to something else.

If you don't like the GUI, and you know what you're doing, you can also
use the ffmpeg binary included in the tarball from a command line.

[1] http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm

Best regards,

--
Mariano

Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 25/12/2007, Mariano Draghi <mdraghi@gmail.com> wrote:
> El Tue, 25 Dec 2007 01:29:00 +0200, Dotan Cohen escribió:
>
> > Although both Mplayer and VLC can both play the video of .3gp video
> > files from a Nokia 6288, neither can play the audio. What Linux media
> > player can play the audio of the .3gp files? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> Hi,
>
> I've found the "Mobile Media Converter" [1] very useful. The Linux
> version is a simple archive (tarball) with a custom ffmpeg compiled with
> all the extra stuff, and a simple GUI to convert from the standard (and
> not so standard...) mobile formats to something else.
>
> If you don't like the GUI, and you know what you're doing, you can also
> use the ffmpeg binary included in the tarball from a command line.
>

> [1] http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm

Thank you. Does this handle the audio as well as the video? I won't
have a chance to explore this option for a few days, so I need to know
if I should keep looking in the meantime.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Mariano Draghi

El Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:14:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen escribi:
> Thank you. Does this handle the audio as well as the video?

Yes. In fact I found this program a couple of months ago, because I was
exactly in the same situation: None of the "regular" players in Ubuntu
repositories can handle the audio (most of them neither can handle the
video...) of some material recorded with a cellphone.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a player, though. You can use it to convert
your files to another format (f.i., to MPEG), and then play them with
whatever player you like (Totem, Xine, VLC, ...)

--
Mariano

Old 12-25-2007, 04:48 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 25/12/2007, Mariano Draghi <mdraghi@gmail.com> wrote:
> El Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:14:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen escribió:
> > Thank you. Does this handle the audio as well as the video?
>
> Yes. In fact I found this program a couple of months ago, because I was
> exactly in the same situation: None of the "regular" players in Ubuntu
> repositories can handle the audio (most of them neither can handle the
> video...) of some material recorded with a cellphone.
>
> Keep in mind that this is NOT a player, though. You can use it to convert
> your files to another format (f.i., to MPEG), and then play them with
> whatever player you like (Totem, Xine, VLC, ...)

Thanks, Mariano. That's just what I needed to know.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.