Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Stephen Carter

Default Ubuntu & RAID

Hi,

I have just tried two ways to get Ubuntu onto my system.

When I try the Wubi method all seems to go well and the Ubuntu OS
installs and reboots. However, I only ever get to a screen with a list
of errors viz:-

relative path /ubuntu/disks
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk: unknown volume type
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /root failed: No such device
mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev: No such device
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys: No such device
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc: No such device

Target file system doesn't have /skin/init
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

BusyBox
(initramfs) _

I guess from this that it can't find my SATA RAID hard disks (Mirror RAID)

So, I burnt the iso to a CD and started the LiveCD process.

This booted OK and seems to work OK.

It does discover the two hard drives, but mounts them and their
partitions twice as identical copies, totally ignoring the mirror RAID.

I read through the FAQ on the website and found that version 8.10 (which
is what I have) is meant to have addressed this RAID issue.

Can someone tell me if I have sussed this out correctly, or is their
something else going on?

If it is a RAID problem, is it likely to be solved soon?

Thanks

Peace and all good.

Stephen Carter

Vicar
St Andrew, Netherton & St Peter, Darby End

“It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face
or a chilling look.”(Saint Francis)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:

> So, I burnt the iso to a CD and started the LiveCD process.

for RAID, it's better to use the alternate cd.
I installed 8.10 with RAID1 on several machines, and everything work perfectly,
even in degraded mode.
The best doc I know is:
http://www.iki.fi/kuparine/comp/ubuntu/en/raid.html

just ignore the grub-install call, and the bug mentionned at the end:
it's no more true in 8.10.

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Stephen Carter

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:
>
>> So, I burnt the iso to a CD and started the LiveCD process.
>
> for RAID, it's better to use the alternate cd.
> I installed 8.10 with RAID1 on several machines, and everything work perfectly,
> even in degraded mode.
> The best doc I know is:
> http://www.iki.fi/kuparine/comp/ubuntu/en/raid.html
>
> just ignore the grub-install call, and the bug mentioned at the end:
> it's no more true in 8.10.

Pierre,

Thank you for your response earlier today. I have been out and unable to
reply until now.

The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.

The procedure outlined in the document is an install as a new system
from scratch.

Do you know if there is a way that I can get the install to recognise
the RAID that already exists?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:

> The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
> install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
> into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.

Stephen,
I don't really understand what you mean by "already configured"
As far as I know, soft RAID1 doesn't work on XP, and anyway Windows can't
manage a Linux partition, RAID or not.
What are your 4 partitions? It would be useful to give the
output of "fdisk -l" from the live cd.

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Stephen Carter

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:
>
>> The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
>> install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
>> into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.
>
> Stephen,
> I don't really understand what you mean by "already configured"
> As far as I know, soft RAID1 doesn't work on XP, and anyway Windows can't
> manage a Linux partition, RAID or not.

Pierre,

Sorry I was less than clear.

My PC has a hardware RAID set up, with two HD units, as a mirrored RAID
(RAID 1).

The resulting array is partitioned to give 3 drives: C, D, and E.

(Previous email was wrong in saying 4 partitions - sorry. :-( )

Windows XP Pro is the OS installed on the C drive. D, and E are drives
for data. There is no unpartitioned space on the array.

> What are your 4 partitions? It would be useful to give the
> output of "fdisk -l" from the live cd.

Confession time - I am not sure how I would do this from the Live CD.

However, what I said in my first email is still the case. Wubi.exe does
an install but it will not complete the boot into Linux (I gave the
error messages before). The Live CD will install, but the the C, D, and
E partitions are available twice, once from each HD unit, and there is
no sign of the RAID 1 that is actually a hardware RAID facility on the
mainboard.

Hope this is a bit clearer now.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
"Jacob Piotrowski"

Stephen,

Most "hardware" RAID controllers on motherboards are in the end controlled
by software inside of Windows XP and not true hardware RAID controllers.
I have run into this in the past. I know there is limited support in
Linux for some of these "hardware" controllers, but support is very
limited and flaky at best. If you Google the model number on your RAID
controller and Linux you maybe able to see if their is support for it.

Your best bet is to add another drive to your machine (drives are cheap
now anyways), leave it out of your RAID and use that for Linux. If you
want RAID for your Linux on the cheap, get two small drives and use the
Ubuntu Alternative Install CD. This will allow you to configure a Linux
software RAID, which in my experience works pretty good!

> Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:
>>
>>> The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
>>> install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
>>> into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.
>>
>> Stephen,
>> I don't really understand what you mean by "already configured"
>> As far as I know, soft RAID1 doesn't work on XP, and anyway Windows
>> can't
>> manage a Linux partition, RAID or not.
>
> Pierre,
>
> Sorry I was less than clear.
>
> My PC has a hardware RAID set up, with two HD units, as a mirrored RAID
> (RAID 1).
>
> The resulting array is partitioned to give 3 drives: C, D, and E.
>
> (Previous email was wrong in saying 4 partitions - sorry. :-( )
>
> Windows XP Pro is the OS installed on the C drive. D, and E are drives
> for data. There is no unpartitioned space on the array.
>
>> What are your 4 partitions? It would be useful to give the
>> output of "fdisk -l" from the live cd.
>
> Confession time - I am not sure how I would do this from the Live CD.
>
> However, what I said in my first email is still the case. Wubi.exe does
> an install but it will not complete the boot into Linux (I gave the
> error messages before). The Live CD will install, but the the C, D, and
> E partitions are available twice, once from each HD unit, and there is
> no sign of the RAID 1 that is actually a hardware RAID facility on the
> mainboard.
>
> Hope this is a bit clearer now.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Peace and all good.
>
> Stephen Carter
>
> Vicar
> St Andrew, Netherton & St Peter, Darby End
>
> ?It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face
> or a chilling look.?(Saint Francis)

- Jake Piotrowski
jake@jakepi.net

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Rashkae

Jacob Piotrowski wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> Most "hardware" RAID controllers on motherboards are in the end controlled
> by software inside of Windows XP and not true hardware RAID controllers.
> I have run into this in the past. I know there is limited support in
> Linux for some of these "hardware" controllers, but support is very
> limited and flaky at best. If you Google the model number on your RAID
> controller and Linux you maybe able to see if their is support for it.
>
> Your best bet is to add another drive to your machine (drives are cheap
> now anyways), leave it out of your RAID and use that for Linux. If you
> want RAID for your Linux on the cheap, get two small drives and use the
> Ubuntu Alternative Install CD. This will allow you to configure a Linux
> software RAID, which in my experience works pretty good!

Unfortunately, it does leave one potential *big* problem.. If Ubuntu
does not recognize the software Raid that is being used by Windows, when
it mounts one of his Windows drives (does Intrepid mount rw by default?)
, it can only lead to tears if any changes are made to the drive that
put the volumes out of sync.

Sorry, I have no good advise on how to proceed.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Rashkae

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
"Greg Michalski"

>Jacob Piotrowski wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> Most "hardware" RAID controllers on motherboards are in the end
controlled
>> by software inside of Windows XP and not true hardware RAID controllers.
>> I have run into this in the past. I know there is limited support in
>> Linux for some of these "hardware" controllers, but support is very
>> limited and flaky at best. If you Google the model number on your RAID
>> controller and Linux you maybe able to see if their is support for it.
>>
>> Your best bet is to add another drive to your machine (drives are cheap
>> now anyways), leave it out of your RAID and use that for Linux. If you
>> want RAID for your Linux on the cheap, get two small drives and use the
>> Ubuntu Alternative Install CD. This will allow you to configure a Linux
>> software RAID, which in my experience works pretty good!
>
>Unfortunately, it does leave one potential *big* problem.. If Ubuntu
>does not recognize the software Raid that is being used by Windows, when
>it mounts one of his Windows drives (does Intrepid mount rw by default?)
>, it can only lead to tears if any changes are made to the drive that
>put the volumes out of sync.
>
>Sorry, I have no good advise on how to proceed.

One of my systems has a fake-hardware RAID array and a solo disk with XP
installed using the Promise driver disk. I installed Ubuntu onto the solo
disk and choose the boot device (RAID or HDD 1) from the BIOS menu to decide
which OS I boot into. Ubuntu has never tried to mount the fake raid array -
doesn't even show it exists. YMMV.

Greg
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury,
and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt (Author)
www.distinctperspectives.com

Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
"Liam Proven"

2009/1/11 Stephen Carter <stevecarter@fastmail.net>:
> Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Stephen Carter wrote:
>>
>>> So, I burnt the iso to a CD and started the LiveCD process.
>>
>> for RAID, it's better to use the alternate cd.
>> I installed 8.10 with RAID1 on several machines, and everything work perfectly,
>> even in degraded mode.
>> The best doc I know is:
>> http://www.iki.fi/kuparine/comp/ubuntu/en/raid.html
>>
>> just ignore the grub-install call, and the bug mentioned at the end:
>> it's no more true in 8.10.
>>

> Pierre,
>
> Thank you for your response earlier today. I have been out and unable to
> reply until now.
>
> The onr big difference between what you suggest is that I want to
> install Ubuntu onto a pre-existing RAID 1 that is already configured
> into 4 partitions under Windows XP Pro.

Ah. This is critical information which you should have given at first;
your original post was thus very misleading.

The answer is: you can't.

A true RAID controller costs as much or more than a typical hard disk
and creates and manages the arrays in its firmware. No disks are
attached to the motherboard controller, the PC BIOS sees no disks, and
the OS only talks to the RAID controller, seeing just the arrays - the
OS cannot see the disks themselves, except through special
vendor-specific RAID monitoring tools which interrogate the
controller.

You have a /firmware/ RAID, created by a driver in Windows working
with software in the PC BIOS or an additional BIOS. These are cheap
and simple.

This is not compatible with Linux and you cannot share such an array
between different OSs.

Linux can use some software RAIDs but it is a very bad idea; Linux's
own built-in RAID support is considerably better. Even so, I would not
expect a Linux firmware RAID to share disks with a Windows firmware
RAID.

Software RAID only exists because MS cripples workstation editions of
Windows by removing the RAID functionality of Windows Server. This is
a marketing decision; such things don't apply to Linux.

Your best option is:

Break the RAID, use Windows on one disk, Linux on another.

AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508