Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
"Bram Kuijper"

Default sound problem asus f6v ATI RV620 Audio device

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new laptop, an Asus F6v, on which I installed
Ubuntu 8.10. Everything works perfectly except for sound, which does
work perfectly under vista on the same machine. Does anybody know how
to get the soundcard on this type of laptop working?

Given a recent posting on ubuntuforums,
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1021477.html, I guess this
soundcard is too new for ubuntu, so I guess I can better stick to
vista for the time being?

ps: I have everything at my alsamixer unmuted, so that cannot cause
the problem. Here are the specs of my soundcard. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

lspci -v (I display only the soundcard details here)
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon
HD 34xx Series]
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx
Series]
Memory at fdeec000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a new laptop, an Asus F6v, on which I installed
> Ubuntu 8.10. Everything works perfectly except for sound, which does
> work perfectly under vista on the same machine. Does anybody know how
> to get the soundcard on this type of laptop working?
>
> Given a recent posting on ubuntuforums,
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1021477.html, I guess this
> soundcard is too new for ubuntu, so I guess I can better stick to
> vista for the time being?
>
> ps: I have everything at my alsamixer unmuted, so that cannot cause
> the problem. Here are the specs of my soundcard. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> lspci -v (I display only the soundcard details here)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon
> HD 34xx Series]
> Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx
> Series]
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> Memory at fdeec000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Sound will not work for sure until you get all the Updates. This is
a well known problem with 8.10 and it was bad. But the new kernel
appears to have fixed the problem.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
"Jacob Piotrowski"

Have you tried this?

http://doeidoei.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/asus-f6v-without-sound-in-linux/

Might want to also try building the latest Alsa from

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a new laptop, an Asus F6v, on which I installed
> Ubuntu 8.10. Everything works perfectly except for sound, which does
> work perfectly under vista on the same machine. Does anybody know how
> to get the soundcard on this type of laptop working?
>
> Given a recent posting on ubuntuforums,
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1021477.html, I guess this
> soundcard is too new for ubuntu, so I guess I can better stick to
> vista for the time being?
>
> ps: I have everything at my alsamixer unmuted, so that cannot cause
> the problem. Here are the specs of my soundcard. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> lspci -v (I display only the soundcard details here)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon
> HD 34xx Series]
> Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx
> Series]
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> Memory at fdeec000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

- Jake Piotrowski
jake@jakepi.net

Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
NoOp

On 01/09/2009 04:52 PM, Bram Kuijper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a new laptop, an Asus F6v, on which I installed
> Ubuntu 8.10. Everything works perfectly except for sound, which does
> work perfectly under vista on the same machine. Does anybody know how
> to get the soundcard on this type of laptop working?
>
> Given a recent posting on ubuntuforums,
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1021477.html, I guess this
> soundcard is too new for ubuntu, so I guess I can better stick to
> vista for the time being?
>
> ps: I have everything at my alsamixer unmuted, so that cannot cause
> the problem. Here are the specs of my soundcard. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]

Perhaps:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2008-November/034598.html>
[From this list: No sound with Realtek ALC662 on Intrepid]

Also:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BALC662&btnG=Go ogle+Search>

[ASUS X50Z (F5) ALC662 NO SOUND]

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
Enter ALC662 in the search box & you'll find others w/possible solutions.