Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Josh Holland

Default Audio-Visual Presentations

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:28 +0000, R C Mitchell wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience in setting up a digital slide show with
> musical accompaniment under Ubuntu? What would be the best tools to use? I
> would like to build presentations to show to the local camera club, who have
> plenty of advice on Windows tools but look blankly when I mention Linux!
>
> I'm currently using Hardy for day-to-day use but I have Intrepid on tap if
> it's needed (I'm waiting for KDE4 to be fit for purpose!)
>
> Rosie

OO.o Impress is intended as a drop-in replacement for MS PowerPoint.
It's not bad, but don't try saving as a .ppt - it doesn't really work
(at least not for me).

--
Josh Holland aka madmartian
Find me on #ubuntu-uk

My system: Dell Inspiron 1300 with fully up-to-date Intrepid
Intel Celeron M 1.70 GHz, 512 MB

Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Ray Parrish

Josh Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:28 +0000, R C Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have any experience in setting up a digital slide show with
>> musical accompaniment under Ubuntu? What would be the best tools to use? I
>> would like to build presentations to show to the local camera club, who have
>> plenty of advice on Windows tools but look blankly when I mention Linux!
>>
>> I'm currently using Hardy for day-to-day use but I have Intrepid on tap if
>> it's needed (I'm waiting for KDE4 to be fit for purpose!)
>>
>> Rosie
>>

> OO.o Impress is intended as a drop-in replacement for MS PowerPoint.
> It's not bad, but don't try saving as a .ppt - it doesn't really work
> (at least not for me).

I tried to create a slide show presentation with music in OO, but found
out that it would play music as long as the first slide was on the
screen, and when you go to the next slide the music stops. Maybe I
wasn't doing it right, and someone else knows how to get it to work. I
don't use OO much as I have no use for documents of the type it creates,
other than once in a great while making a slide show, so I can't help
with the question, sorry.

If it is possible I would be interested in seeing how.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Josh Holland wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:28 +0000, R C Mitchell wrote:
>>

>>> Does anybody have any experience in setting up a digital slide show with
>>> musical accompaniment under Ubuntu? What would be the best tools to use? I
>>> would like to build presentations to show to the local camera club, who have
>>> plenty of advice on Windows tools but look blankly when I mention Linux!
>>>
>>> I'm currently using Hardy for day-to-day use but I have Intrepid on tap if
>>> it's needed (I'm waiting for KDE4 to be fit for purpose!)
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>>

>> OO.o Impress is intended as a drop-in replacement for MS PowerPoint.
>> It's not bad, but don't try saving as a .ppt - it doesn't really work
>> (at least not for me).
>>

> I tried to create a slide show presentation with music in OO, but found
> out that it would play music as long as the first slide was on the
> screen, and when you go to the next slide the music stops. Maybe I
> wasn't doing it right, and someone else knows how to get it to work. I
> don't use OO much as I have no use for documents of the type it creates,
> other than once in a great while making a slide show, so I can't help
> with the question, sorry.
>
> If it is possible I would be interested in seeing how.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Being retired for 12 years I have little need to make Power Point
files. But it was simple in the old days. I do not think there was any
music or instructional talk along with the pictures. But I get them now
from friends that have pretty pictures and some music along with them. I
think all of them have the music turn on when the first slide is shown.
Then it runs to completion and often quits before you get through all
the slides.

The way to learn to do this is to just do it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
NoOp

On 01/09/2009 10:46 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Josh Holland wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:28 +0000, R C Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody have any experience in setting up a digital slide show with
>>> musical accompaniment under Ubuntu? What would be the best tools to use? I
>>> would like to build presentations to show to the local camera club, who have
>>> plenty of advice on Windows tools but look blankly when I mention Linux!
>>>
>>> I'm currently using Hardy for day-to-day use but I have Intrepid on tap if
>>> it's needed (I'm waiting for KDE4 to be fit for purpose!)
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>>

>> OO.o Impress is intended as a drop-in replacement for MS PowerPoint.
>> It's not bad, but don't try saving as a .ppt - it doesn't really work
>> (at least not for me).
>>

> I tried to create a slide show presentation with music in OO, but found
> out that it would play music as long as the first slide was on the
> screen, and when you go to the next slide the music stops. Maybe I
> wasn't doing it right, and someone else knows how to get it to work. I
> don't use OO much as I have no use for documents of the type it creates,
> other than once in a great while making a slide show, so I can't help
> with the question, sorry.
>
> If it is possible I would be interested in seeing how.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

It is:

http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Ray Parrish

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/09/2009 10:46 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Josh Holland wrote:

>>> OO.o Impress is intended as a drop-in replacement for MS PowerPoint.
>>> It's not bad, but don't try saving as a .ppt - it doesn't really work
>>> (at least not for me).
>>>

>> I tried to create a slide show presentation with music in OO, but found
>> out that it would play music as long as the first slide was on the
>> screen, and when you go to the next slide the music stops. Maybe I
>> wasn't doing it right, and someone else knows how to get it to work. I
>> don't use OO much as I have no use for documents of the type it creates,
>> other than once in a great while making a slide show, so I can't help
>> with the question, sorry.
>>
>> If it is possible I would be interested in seeing how.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> It is:
>
> http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Spot on! I used the top search box on page from your second link, and
the first search result contained the answer! Here is a direct link to
the tip required to add background music to a slide show presentation in OO.

<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Impress/I_inserted_a_song_in_my_presentation,_but_when_I_c hange_slide_the_music_stops._How_do_I_play_music_t hroughout_a_presentation%3F>

Thanks for the help, even though I'm not the OP for this question it was
something I was also wondering how to do.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
R C Mitchell

I found a better solution in the end, and I've been having some fun playing
with Smile, which generates an mpg file with the slideshow synchronised with
the soundtrack. Which is just what I wanted.

I found following the instructions at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885201 very helpful for installation
on Hardy (which requires tinkering with backports). I haven't tried on
Intrepid. It would be nice to see Smile in the repository though.

Rosie

--
CURRENTLY READING: The Enlightenment, by Norman Hampson
Pie'n'Mushies: Barrow Day-by-Day http://pieandmushies.wordpress.com

Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
"Allen Meyers"

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM, R C Mitchell <rcm@swimbarrow.co.uk> wrote:

I found a better solution in the end, and I've been having some fun playing

with Smile, which generates an mpg file with the slideshow synchronised with

the soundtrack. *Which is just what I wanted.

I found following the instructions at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885201 very helpful for installation

on Hardy (which requires tinkering with backports). *I haven't tried on

Intrepid. *It would be nice to see Smile in the repository though.

Rosie

--

CURRENTLY READING: The Enlightenment, by Norman Hampson

Pie'n'Mushies: Barrow Day-by-Day http://pieandmushies.wordpress.com

We all have our faults and mine is being wicked

As a side note, when I was doing HACCP training for schools and developing PP with audio I purchased mid range mic, used audacity and the clarity is fantastic. Be happy to share a sound bite to give you some idea.

--
Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

The ability to comfortably use a computer is directly proportional to desire to listen, learn, and experiment, and is inversely proportional to the fear, anger, and stubbornness that you show.