Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Screen Saver

Hello,

I've got a good question for you all this time. Earlier today I decided
to have a look at the available screen savers in Ubuntu. There were some
nice ones, but I don't normally use a screen saver, so I set it to
disabled, and set the delay on it to 120 minutes.

Ever since I looked at them now, the damn thing keeps activating after
ten or so minutes of being idle. I used the Screen Saver dialog on the
Preferences menu to look at them the first time. Since then I have also
gone into the Configuration Editor on the Applications, System menu, and
made sure they were disabled there as well.

Still the damn thing keeps popping up every ten minutes. So... I found
the .xml file in the /home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver folder, and
made sure the settings in it were set to false for enabling the screen
saver, and even set the timeout delay to zero to see if that would
prevent it from activating.

Nothing I have done has prevented the screen saver from coming on after
approximately ten minutes of idle time.

How in the hell do I disable the screen saver??? I like to keep an eye
on the screen to see when new mail comes in, and I don't like using a
screen saver at all. Please help me get this thing to shut off.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Rashkae

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a good question for you all this time. Earlier today I decided
> to have a look at the available screen savers in Ubuntu. There were some
> nice ones, but I don't normally use a screen saver, so I set it to
> disabled, and set the delay on it to 120 minutes.
>
> Ever since I looked at them now, the damn thing keeps activating after
> ten or so minutes of being idle. I used the Screen Saver dialog on the
> Preferences menu to look at them the first time. Since then I have also
> gone into the Configuration Editor on the Applications, System menu, and
> made sure they were disabled there as well.
>
> Still the damn thing keeps popping up every ten minutes. So... I found
> the .xml file in the /home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver folder, and
> made sure the settings in it were set to false for enabling the screen
> saver, and even set the timeout delay to zero to see if that would
> prevent it from activating.
>
> Nothing I have done has prevented the screen saver from coming on after
> approximately ten minutes of idle time.
>
> How in the hell do I disable the screen saver??? I like to keep an eye
> on the screen to see when new mail comes in, and I don't like using a
> screen saver at all. Please help me get this thing to shut off.
>
> Thanks, Ray Parrish

Did you perchance install xscreensaver and start the xscreensaver demon
from the menus somewhere?

From a terminal, try: ps -e | grep xscreensaver

If you see xscreensaver in the list, kill it, or use xscreensaver-demo
application to configure it.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Ray Parrish

Rashkae wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a good question for you all this time. Earlier today I decided
>> to have a look at the available screen savers in Ubuntu. There were some
>> nice ones, but I don't normally use a screen saver, so I set it to
>> disabled, and set the delay on it to 120 minutes.
>>
>> Ever since I looked at them now, the damn thing keeps activating after
>> ten or so minutes of being idle. I used the Screen Saver dialog on the
>> Preferences menu to look at them the first time. Since then I have also
>> gone into the Configuration Editor on the Applications, System menu, and
>> made sure they were disabled there as well.
>>
>> Still the damn thing keeps popping up every ten minutes. So... I found
>> the .xml file in the /home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver folder, and
>> made sure the settings in it were set to false for enabling the screen
>> saver, and even set the timeout delay to zero to see if that would
>> prevent it from activating.
>>
>> Nothing I have done has prevented the screen saver from coming on after
>> approximately ten minutes of idle time.
>>
>> How in the hell do I disable the screen saver??? I like to keep an eye
>> on the screen to see when new mail comes in, and I don't like using a
>> screen saver at all. Please help me get this thing to shut off.
>>
>> Thanks, Ray Parrish
>>

> Did you perchance install xscreensaver and start the xscreensaver demon
> from the menus somewhere?
>
> >From a terminal, try: ps -e | grep xscreensaver
>
> If you see xscreensaver in the list, kill it, or use xscreensaver-demo
> application to configure it.

I tried that command, and got no output, which is what I expected, as I
had already looked in System Monitor to see if there was a screensaver
daemon running, and there was none. I don't understand what is making it
run, and I'm not really happy with an operating system that will not
obey my commands.

There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not aware of.
here is the contents of the
/home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver/%gconf.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="user_switch_enabled" mtime="1231436939" type="bool"
value="false">
</entry>
<entry name="idle_delay" mtime="1231373736" type="int" value="0">
</entry>
<entry name="idle_activation_enabled" mtime="1231436906"
type="bool" value="false">
</entry>
<entry name="themes" mtime="1231468713" type="list" ltype="string">
</entry>
<entry name="mode" mtime="1231468713" type="string">
<stringvalue>blank-only</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="power_management_delay" mtime="1231459255"
type="int" value="30">
</entry>
</gconf>

I'm wondering what the "mtime" settings are for, as they are not
accessible from the Screen Saver dialog, or from the Configuration Editor.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
> There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not aware
> of.

After making your configuration changes have you re-started X?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Ray Parrish

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
>
>> There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not aware
>> of.
>>

> After making your configuration changes have you re-started X?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

No... be right back after I try that.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Nils Kassube

Ray Parrish wrote:
> <entry name="mode" mtime="1231468713" type="string">
>
> I'm wondering what the "mtime" settings are for, as they are not
> accessible from the Screen Saver dialog, or from the Configuration
> Editor.

I don't think it is something you can change because it looks like a time
stamp in Unix time (seconds since 1.1.1970).

~/ > date -ud @1231468713
Fr 9. Jan 02:38:33 UTC 2009

Nils

Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Ray Parrish

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
>
>> There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not aware
>> of.
>>

> After making your configuration changes have you re-started X?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Well, that didn't help any... the damn thing is still popping up, and I
still can't see it in System Monitor. There has to be a way to shut it off.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
> >
> >> There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not
> >> aware of.
> >>

> > After making your configuration changes have you re-started X?
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
> >
> Well, that didn't help any... the damn thing is still popping up, and
> I still can't see it in System Monitor. There has to be a way to shut
> it off.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver ?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Ray Parrish

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:
>
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> After making your configuration changes have you re-started X?
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>

>> Well, that didn't help any... the damn thing is still popping up, and
>> I still can't see it in System Monitor. There has to be a way to shut
>> it off.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver ?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Not a bad idea, but I prefer to use Synaptic Package Manager to do
things like that, which I just did, and now it shouldn't bother me
anymore. Thanks for the idea.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> said:

[remove gnome-screensaver]

> Not a bad idea, but I prefer to use Synaptic Package Manager to do
> things like that, which I just did, and now it shouldn't bother me
> anymore. Thanks for the idea.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

I hope it works for you.

Cybe R. Wizard