Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
"John Toliver"

Default How do I represent a variable that will be a file name in a script?

Hello,

I'm not very good at scripting so I'm sorry if the description isn't as clear as it could be but I am trying to write a* nautilus script for shredding a file.* I want to be able to right click on the file I wish to destroy, select "scripts>shred" and the script then knows to act on this file.* How do I represent a variable in Linux scripting?* I think it should be the equivalent of "%1" in batchfile scripting on windows.

Second, I wish I knew how to describe this better but what does the terminal recognize as "operators" on files.* In windows if I type: "copy <sourcepath>f*.exe <destinationpathfoldername>"* it will copy all files starting with "f" that are executables to the path I specified.* what are the equivalents of operators like "*.*", the vertical line "|" that goes before the "more" command in windows terminal that splits output to a page at a time, and other such commands.* First what are these things called, secondly where can I go to read about them?

--
Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!