-   -   Gmail name change? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/224891-gmail-name-change.html)

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-08-2009 10:23 PM

Gmail name change?

I am using Gmail and have it in IMAP service to this computer and my
laptops Thunderbird. It works fine and I am known as my Gmail user
klarsen1@gmail.com which is no problem for now.

But in the near future I would like to do something that causes me
and the email reader to think it is from k5di@zianet.com. Is there
anything I can do to Thunderbird or the Windows Internet Express to
accomplish this? Can I do it at Gmail?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

01-08-2009 10:29 PM

Gmail name change?

> I am using Gmail and have it in IMAP service to this computer and my
> laptops Thunderbird. It works fine and I am known as my Gmail user
> klarsen1@gmail.com which is no problem for now.
>
> But in the near future I would like to do something that causes me
> and the email reader to think it is from k5di@zianet.com. Is there
> anything I can do to Thunderbird or the Windows Internet Express to
> accomplish this? Can I do it at Gmail?
>
> Karl
>
> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>

> --

Karl,

You could change your "Reply To" address in Thunderbird, that should do
the trick. Though you still may have issues since the "From" address in
the header of the person you are sending to will not be correct. What
might be a better idea is to just use one account and forward the other to
that. I know Gmail allows you to forward all mail to a different address.

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-08-2009 10:38 PM

Gmail name change?

jake@jakepi.net wrote:
>> I am using Gmail and have it in IMAP service to this computer and my
>> laptops Thunderbird. It works fine and I am known as my Gmail user
>> klarsen1@gmail.com which is no problem for now.
>>
>> But in the near future I would like to do something that causes me
>> and the email reader to think it is from k5di@zianet.com. Is there
>> anything I can do to Thunderbird or the Windows Internet Express to
>> accomplish this? Can I do it at Gmail?
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --
>>

> Karl,
>
> You could change your "Reply To" address in Thunderbird, that should do
> the trick. Though you still may have issues since the "From" address in
> the header of the person you are sending to will not be correct. What
> might be a better idea is to just use one account and forward the other to
> that. I know Gmail allows you to forward all mail to a different address.
>
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Thanks, but the need will appear if zianet fails or is turned off.
So I will try the reply to address now and see what good/bad it does :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Steven R. Ringwald" 01-09-2009 06:39 AM

Gmail name change?

On 1/8/2009 3:23 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I am using Gmail and have it in IMAP service to this computer and my
> laptops Thunderbird. It works fine and I am known as my Gmail user
> klarsen1@gmail.com which is no problem for now.
>
> But in the near future I would like to do something that causes me
> and the email reader to think it is from k5di@zianet.com. Is there
> anything I can do to Thunderbird or the Windows Internet Express to
> accomplish this? Can I do it at Gmail?
I am using GMail as my outgoing mail server and thunderbird as my email
client. I have told GMail to allow me to use asric@asric.com as a valid
outgoing address.

In GMail, you go to Settings > Accounts > Send Mail As and add a new
alias. GMail will send an email to the address specified verifying that
"you" own it, and after that, GMail's servers will accept that as a From
address. (The Email address specified in accounts).

I hope that this helps.
Steve