Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Laser Printer Advice

Roger Benham wrote:
> I'm asking for advice as to what starter level colour laser printer
> is recommended for Ubuntu 8.10. I'd rather not spend a lot of money
> as this is going to be for home use and not production use. The
> quality of colour prints is for graphical rather than for photographs
> (which I get done professionally as I sell those to the public).
> Lexmark ink jet printers work fine enough for us but it is galling
> how little time elapses between fill-ups especially since those cost
> more than the printer (why is ink so expensive? Does it contain
> platinum?).

Per ounce it's probably more expensive.

I believe the one I am using is an HP 3505 right now, but I think they
were discontinued. *most* HP's we've had decent luck with. I had a
Samsung CLP-600 that kept giving fuser underheat and overhead problems
repeatedly and unpredictably so I trashed it. There was one model HP I
had (probably in the archives) that liked to jam up by not feeding
properly. But overall we've still had the best luck with the HP lasers.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Dave Stevens

On Thursday 08 January 2009 07:02:59 am Roger Benham wrote:
> I'm asking for advice as to what starter level colour laser printer is
> recommended for Ubuntu 8.10. I'd rather not spend a lot of money as this is
> going to be for home use and not production use. The quality of colour
> prints is for graphical rather than for photographs (which I get done
> professionally as I sell those to the public). Lexmark ink jet printers
> work fine enough for us but it is galling how little time elapses between
> fill-ups especially since those cost more than the printer (why is ink so
> expensive? Does it contain platinum?).

it costs a lot because you are agreeable to paying a lot.

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933

Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Roger Benham

"it costs a lot because you are agreeable to paying a lot"

Well I'm not. Increasingly I have been getting my printing done elsewhere and I am also keenly aware of the huge number of virtually new printers which are taken to the dump. One must assume that Canon and Lexmark, Epsom and HP all still make lots of money selling their $50.00 printers, since so many almost new end up in the dump (rather than being provided with new ink).
Roger.

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger--

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
squareyes

Roger Benham wrote:
> I'm asking for advice as to what starter level colour laser printer is
> recommended for Ubuntu 8.10. I'd rather not spend a lot of money as
> this is going to be for home use and not production use. The quality
> of colour prints is for graphical rather than for photographs (which I
> get done professionally as I sell those to the public). Lexmark ink
> jet printers work fine enough for us but it is galling how little time
> elapses between fill-ups especially since those cost more than the
> printer (why is ink so expensive? Does it contain platinum?).
> Thanks,
> Roger from northern British Columbia.

> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new *Yahoo! Canada
> Messenger* <http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/>
Hi Roger,
have an HP Color Laserjet 1600 that works with no agro in 8.04.
Setup straightforward, but has 1 black and 3 color toner cartridges, at
$A138 each.(HP replacement,
Haven't checked prices of aftermarket toner cartridges)
Given that the machine only cost $A460 to begin with, may be it's better
to buy a new machine
when these run out. Print quality is quite good, though not as good as a
quality Inkjet
Hope this helps.
Take Care
Winton