Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Kevin

Default accessing samba folder in terminal

Could someone please advise how to access a samba folder in a terminal?
I am able to access smb://windows_box/folder on my Ubuntu 8.10 box by GUI
(Firefox and Nautilus) now and wonder how to move files between the
Ubuntu box and the windows_box in a terminal using a script? Thank you.

--
-Kevin

Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
"Seth M"

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Kevin <kevinwat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could someone please advise how to access a samba folder in a terminal?
> I am able to access smb://windows_box/folder on my Ubuntu 8.10 box by GUI
> (Firefox and Nautilus) now and wonder how to move files between the
> Ubuntu box and the windows_box in a terminal using a script? Thank you.
>
> --
> -Kevin

Try `man smbclient`. You can also mount samba shares with smbfs and
access files as if it were any normal directory.

Info and examples of using smbclient programmatically:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch05.html

Seth

Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Thu, January 8, 2009 6:52 am, Kevin wrote:
> Could someone please advise how to access a samba folder in a terminal?
> I am able to access smb://windows_box/folder on my Ubuntu 8.10 box by GUI
> (Firefox and Nautilus) now and wonder how to move files between the
> Ubuntu box and the windows_box in a terminal using a script? Thank you.

Gnome uses gvfs to access windows shares. You can access the files under
~/.gvfs. If you don't see "folder on windows_box" under that directory,
you can mount it with "gvfs-mount smb://windows_box/folder". And there
are a lot of other gvfs-* commands you can try.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
"Seth M"