FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Thufir
 
Default printer driver and configuration

I chose ubuntu because it offered, and delivered on, automagically
recognizing and configuring my printer. How do I determine what driver
it loaded?


ML-2510-Series
Description: Samsung ML-2510 Series
Location: arrakis
Printer Driver: Samsung ML-2510, 2.0.0
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-2510%20Series


http://localhost:631/printers/



More specifically, how would I repeat this configuration with another
distro? Which driver was installed?



thanks,

Thufir


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default printer driver and configuration

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 12:30:58PM +0000, Thufir wrote:
> I chose ubuntu because it offered, and delivered on, automagically
> recognizing and configuring my printer. How do I determine what driver
> it loaded?
>
> ML-2510-Series
> Description: Samsung ML-2510 Series
> Location: arrakis
> Printer Driver: Samsung ML-2510, 2.0.0

There you have it: it's the "Samsung ML-2510" driver. ;-)

http://linuxprinting.org used to be the location of a large database of
which driver was needed for which printer in Linux. It now redirects to
something called OpenPrinting, and it says this:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2510

Apparently the driver is distributed from the Samsung website.

> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-2510%20Series
>
> http://localhost:631/printers/
>
> More specifically, how would I repeat this configuration with another
> distro? Which driver was installed?

I'm afraid I won't be able to answer your question fully, but at least I
can point you towards further documentation. Ubuntu uses CUPS (the
Common Unix Printing System) for managing printers, like most modern
Linux distros. I would hope that everything will just work; but if it
doesn't, you'll find documentation at http://www.cups.org/

Marius Gedminas
--
Despite all appearances, your boss is a thinking, feeling, human being.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Thufir
 
Default printer driver and configuration

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:59:42 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 12:30:58PM +0000, Thufir wrote:
>> I chose ubuntu because it offered, and delivered on, automagically
>> recognizing and configuring my printer. How do I determine what driver
>> it loaded?
>>
>> ML-2510-Series
>> Description: Samsung ML-2510 Series
>> Location: arrakis
>> Printer Driver: Samsung ML-2510, 2.0.0
>
> There you have it: it's the "Samsung ML-2510" driver. ;-)
>
> http://linuxprinting.org used to be the location of a large database of
> which driver was needed for which printer in Linux. It now redirects to
> something called OpenPrinting, and it says this:
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2510
>
> Apparently the driver is distributed from the Samsung website.


What about the security concern, though?

Driver from Samsung CD
SECURITY WARNING: The installation script on the Driver CD
creates suid-root executables under /opt/samsung. Such executables often
form a grave security risk, especially (as in this case) when processing
potentially malicious inputs. Since source code is not available, these
executables cannot be audited. You should assume that once these drivers
are installed, any user on the computer and any printed document can
obtain root privilege.

from the same link as above. However, I didn't see a samsung directory
under opt, so I'm not sure.



-Thufir


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org