Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default OT: Internet Provider

I am having trouble with my Internet providers. I am now today
using the telephone company provided DSL sort of fast service. I pay the
the telephone company (Qwest) $15.00 and the local provider SkyWi $20.00
each month for my Internet. This has worked fine for around 5 years. But
now SkyWi has Qwest in a legal fight that is still in court.

Qwest in a effort to hurt SkyWi, disconnected about 10,000 SkyWi
users from the Internet without any warning. The State of New Mexico
Public Regulation Commission ordered Qwest to restore service asap. So
today Jan 7 2009 we have the Internet from SkiWi and life is good. But
clouds on the horizon.

On Jan 13 Court will decide what to do with the current claims.
If SkyWi looses they just agreed with Qwest to give us 10 days before
they disconnect us again.

So now I am looking at options. I can find my old 56k telephone
modem and go back to Juno. I can get Qwest to just send me the Internet
without a email server. I can use the web based internet, or the Gmail I
am now using to send this message to the list. I can try to find another
local Internet provider for email service.

I am thinking I prefer Gmail to solve the email problem. Today I
use Gmail to IMAP email to both my main computer and my laptop. A
problem is that my wife uses WindowsXP and I am not sure Windows likes
IMAP. For sure she will hate a new email address :-)

The other approach will be to hire another local Internet
provider that Qwest likes. One does exist and it can be done. I will
explore this tomorrow.

Does anyone on the list have other ideas? I was quite mad when
the Internet died on the Tuesday before New Years and Qwest said they
cant do a thing until Monday after New Years. In fact they were back up
New Years eve at my home :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> I am having trouble with my Internet providers. I am now today
> using the telephone company provided DSL sort of fast service. I pay the
> the telephone company (Qwest) $15.00 and the local provider SkyWi $20.00
> each month for my Internet. This has worked fine for around 5 years. But
> now SkyWi has Qwest in a legal fight that is still in court.
>
> Qwest in a effort to hurt SkyWi, disconnected about 10,000 SkyWi
> users from the Internet without any warning. The State of New Mexico
> Public Regulation Commission ordered Qwest to restore service asap. So
> today Jan 7 2009 we have the Internet from SkiWi and life is good. But
> clouds on the horizon.
>
> On Jan 13 Court will decide what to do with the current claims.
> If SkyWi looses they just agreed with Qwest to give us 10 days before
> they disconnect us again.
>
> So now I am looking at options. I can find my old 56k telephone
> modem and go back to Juno. I can get Qwest to just send me the Internet
> without a email server. I can use the web based internet, or the Gmail I
> am now using to send this message to the list. I can try to find another
> local Internet provider for email service.
>
> I am thinking I prefer Gmail to solve the email problem. Today I
> use Gmail to IMAP email to both my main computer and my laptop. A
> problem is that my wife uses WindowsXP and I am not sure Windows likes
> IMAP. For sure she will hate a new email address :-)
>
> The other approach will be to hire another local Internet
> provider that Qwest likes. One does exist and it can be done. I will
> explore this tomorrow.
>
> Does anyone on the list have other ideas? I was quite mad when
> the Internet died on the Tuesday before New Years and Qwest said they
> cant do a thing until Monday after New Years. In fact they were back up
> New Years eve at my home :-)
>

> Karl

Well, since I don't live in NM, it's hard to offer a lot of
alternatives. But surely there are wireless ISPs in the area. I mean,
even in the mtns of NC we have 4 that connect to my company alone. And
this is a very rural area. There's always satellite, I suppose, or a
broadband card from a cellular provider.

A lot depends on what other options you have local to you. Based on
what I see in the post, there are no cable companies or telcos close
that offer cable/DSL service?

<sermon>You know, it REALLY sucks how the big telcos have crushed the
smaller ISPs with lobbying to congress for regulation and cutting the
backbones out of small companies but over pricing access to their fiber
and copper. This is part of the reason I work for the company that I
do. We were started as a non-profit that offers lower cost (originally
federally funded, but now self sufficient) bandwidth in WNC to Education
and Research institutions and to get broadband internet into the really
rural areas of NC. As such, our presence in WNC has caused broadband
internet access prices to drop by 75% in the last 5 years. Not all of
that drop is due to us, but a significant portion is. </sermon>

Other than the above I don't know what other options there are for you.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Mike McGinn

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 15:13:51 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I am having trouble with my Internet providers. I am now today
> using the telephone company provided DSL sort of fast service. I pay the
> the telephone company (Qwest) $15.00 and the local provider SkyWi $20.00
> each month for my Internet. This has worked fine for around 5 years. But
> now SkyWi has Qwest in a legal fight that is still in court.
>
> Qwest in a effort to hurt SkyWi, disconnected about 10,000 SkyWi
> users from the Internet without any warning. The State of New Mexico
> Public Regulation Commission ordered Qwest to restore service asap. So
> today Jan 7 2009 we have the Internet from SkiWi and life is good. But
> clouds on the horizon.
>
> On Jan 13 Court will decide what to do with the current claims.
> If SkyWi looses they just agreed with Qwest to give us 10 days before
> they disconnect us again.
>
> So now I am looking at options. I can find my old 56k telephone
> modem and go back to Juno. I can get Qwest to just send me the Internet
> without a email server. I can use the web based internet, or the Gmail I
> am now using to send this message to the list. I can try to find another
> local Internet provider for email service.
>
> I am thinking I prefer Gmail to solve the email problem. Today I
> use Gmail to IMAP email to both my main computer and my laptop. A
> problem is that my wife uses WindowsXP and I am not sure Windows likes
> IMAP. For sure she will hate a new email address :-)
>
> The other approach will be to hire another local Internet
> provider that Qwest likes. One does exist and it can be done. I will
> explore this tomorrow.
>
> Does anyone on the list have other ideas? I was quite mad when
> the Internet died on the Tuesday before New Years and Qwest said they
> cant do a thing until Monday after New Years. In fact they were back up
> New Years eve at my home :-)
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
This does not surprise me. I work for an internet wholesaler, we buy dialup
from Qwest and Qwest DSL through an aggregator. To be blunt, Qwest is a
messed up company. They are dumping all the dialup network they have, so we
are spending a fortune putting in our own dialup lines to service our
wholesale customers.

Since you have Qwest DSL you can see about going direct with Qwest for DSL. My
ISP at home is strictly a pipe. I do not use their email nor does my family.

As a CTO I have had it up to my eyeballs with Qwest in the past year. The sad
part is that they sued to be pretty good.

--
Mike McGinn
Registered Linux User 377849

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
"drew einhorn"

Qwest is the only ISP that Qwest plays nicely with.

See the New Mexico Attorney General's report:

http://www.nmag.gov/Articles/newsArticle.aspx?ArticleID=422

Some of the more
egregious examples include: A monthly bill that exceeds 5000 pages,
billing errors that consistently favor the ILEC, arbitrarily imposed
termination liability fees, an enduring "run-around" when the small
business tries to solve the problem with the ILEC, improper threats to
shut down service, and improper "slamming" of broadband customers.*Many
of these businesses, at great expense, have had to devote at least one
full time employee simply to trying to decipher the bills.*Some
companies have ceased operation, at great dislocation to their
customers; others have had their customers experience enormous
frustration when they are caught between a phone company and their
local ISP.

I really don't like doing business with Qwest.* And I can't recommend that anybody does business, if thay have any alternative.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Drew Einhorn

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mark Haney wrote:
> [...]
> that offer cable/DSL service?
>
> <sermon>You know, it REALLY sucks how the big telcos have crushed the
> smaller ISPs with lobbying to congress for regulation and cutting the
> backbones out of small companies but over pricing access to their fiber
> and copper. This is part of the reason I work for the company that I
> do. We were started as a non-profit that offers lower cost (originally
> federally funded, but now self sufficient) bandwidth in WNC to Education
> and Research institutions and to get broadband internet into the really
> rural areas of NC. As such, our presence in WNC has caused broadband
> internet access prices to drop by 75% in the last 5 years. Not all of
> that drop is due to us, but a significant portion is. </sermon>
>
> Other than the above I don't know what other options there are for you.

Thank you for the new ideas. There is a wireless company here and I
understand the cost is not bad anymore. We do have cable but they have
been quite expensive like $70/mo for Internet. Today I see a ad in the
paper saying $10/mo for a year and then no info on the next year. Just
like our cable company!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Thank you for the new ideas. There is a wireless company here and I
> understand the cost is not bad anymore. We do have cable but they have
> been quite expensive like $70/mo for Internet. Today I see a ad in the
> paper saying $10/mo for a year and then no info on the next year. Just
> like our cable company!
>
> Karl

No problem. Wireless options are getting cheaper. The equipment is
getting much more cost effective and more stable, even over the mtns of
NC here we can get 5-7Mbps consistently, which is pretty impressive.
I'm sure the hardware can do more than that, but around here that's
plenty for residential customers.

Not to mention, with the opening up of the TV 'whitespace' to vendors
this should ramp up wireless speeds and adoption. Unless, of course, a
bunch of telcos bribe the government to shut out competition like
they've done everywhere else.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
"drew einhorn"

Check whether the prospective new provider has bandwidth caps, and what happens
if you usage exceeds the caps.* This can ruin an apparently good option.

I'd research other options, but would wait until after the Jan 13 hearing before

bailing out on SkyWi.

My wife got tired of changing her email address and now uses pobox.com
to forward her email to her real email address.* "Custom DNS"* from dyndns.com

and their "Mail Hop" sevices may be useful.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

drew einhorn wrote:
> Check whether the prospective new provider has bandwidth caps, and what
> happens
> if you usage exceeds the caps. This can ruin an apparently good option.
>
> I'd research other options, but would wait until after the Jan 13 hearing
> before
> bailing out on SkyWi.
>
> My wife got tired of changing her email address and now uses pobox.com
> to forward her email to her real email address. "Custom DNS" from
> dyndns.com
> and their "Mail Hop" sevices may be useful.
>

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>> Karl F. Larsen wrote

>>> Well, since I don't live in NM, it's hard to offer a lot of
>>> alternatives. But surely there are wireless ISPs in the area. I mean,
>>> even in the mtns of NC we have 4 that connect to my company alone. And
>>> this is a very rural area. There's always satellite, I suppose, or a
>>> broadband card from a cellular provider.
>>>
>>> A lot depends on what other options you have local to you. Based on
>>> what I see in the post, there are no cable companies or telcos close
>>> that offer cable/DSL service?
>>>
>>> <sermon>You know, it REALLY sucks how the big telcos have crushed the
>>> smaller ISPs with lobbying to congress for regulation and cutting the
>>> backbones out of small companies but over pricing access to their fiber
>>> and copper. This is part of the reason I work for the company that I
>>> do. We were started as a non-profit that offers lower cost (originally
>>> federally funded, but now self sufficient) bandwidth in WNC to Education
>>> and Research institutions and to get broadband internet into the really
>>> rural areas of NC. As such, our presence in WNC has caused broadband
>>> internet access prices to drop by 75% in the last 5 years. Not all of
>>> that drop is due to us, but a significant portion is. </sermon>
>>>
>>> Other than the above I don't know what other options there are for you.
>>>

>> Thank you for the new ideas. There is a wireless company here and I
>> understand the cost is not bad anymore. We do have cable but they have
>> been quite expensive like $70/mo for Internet. Today I see a ad in the
>> paper saying $10/mo for a year and then no info on the next year. Just
>> like our cable company!
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --

I think that is good advice but for the fact that if I need to find
a alternate Internet service so will 10,000 other users in this area :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I am having trouble with my Internet providers.
[snip]
> So now I am looking at options.
[snip]

Aside from the fact that your question has nothing to do with Ubuntu, a
mailing list with subscribers from all over the world is hardly the
place to ask this question. Don't you have a Linux user group or some
other resource in your area where you can ask this question?

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
steve

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> I am having trouble with my Internet providers.
> [snip]
>> So now I am looking at options.
> [snip]
>
> Aside from the fact that your question has nothing to do with Ubuntu, a
> mailing list with subscribers from all over the world is hardly the
> place to ask this question. Don't you have a Linux user group or some
> other resource in your area where you can ask this question?

Re: OT: Internet Provider

OT means "off topic", and Karl uses ubuntu, at least he put the ot in
the subject line!

sounder had 34 threads in december, and this list had over 2700, better
off asking here.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com