Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Scott

Default Slightly different memory question

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> So I upgraded to 2 GB and now the
> swap file does not need to be there. It is ever used with 2 GB of RAM.
>
> So why have 4 GB??
For me, a couple reasons. Like you I wanted enough RAM that the swap
would not need to be used which 2GB does seem good. But, as I already
mentioned I knew my Video card would take a small chunk of RAM away and
I wanted that replaced. My last main reason was because I planned on
keeping this laptop for a while and it is much more easy and cheaper (I
got a package deal) to get RAM now then get it when I need it down the
road. Not to mention RAM is cheap I was paying only $50 a Gig before
the deal was added on.

I also do have crappy old Vista on this laptop and that eats up RAM like
there was no tomorrow. It uses more than 1 Gig of RAM just sitting
there doing nothing! I only use Vista for a couple games that will not
play on Linux and they work really well with the 4Gigs of RAM. If you
wonder the games are EQII, Space Empires, and Civ4.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 8.10

Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Scott

Jason Crain wrote:
> Back to the original question, you have 3.5GB of usable ram. 256MB has
> been set aside for the video card. If you move to 64 bit, you will see a
> small increase which depends upon whether the video card has its own ram
> or uses the shared ram.

Thank you fro the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

Because some people run software which requires as much ram as you can
throw at it (video editing, CAD design, Database servers, etc).

2 Gig is enough for your requirements but not for others.

I have an 64 bit AIX P550 server here - it runs 4 virtual servers under
the hypervisor, *each* of which has 40 gig of ram available to it. It
still swaps.

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Scott wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>> So I upgraded to 2 GB and now the
>> swap file does not need to be there. It is ever used with 2 GB of RAM.
>>
>> So why have 4 GB??
>>
> For me, a couple reasons. Like you I wanted enough RAM that the swap
> would not need to be used which 2GB does seem good. But, as I already
> mentioned I knew my Video card would take a small chunk of RAM away and
> I wanted that replaced. My last main reason was because I planned on
> keeping this laptop for a while and it is much more easy and cheaper (I
> got a package deal) to get RAM now then get it when I need it down the
> road. Not to mention RAM is cheap I was paying only $50 a Gig before
> the deal was added on.
>
> I also do have crappy old Vista on this laptop and that eats up RAM like
> there was no tomorrow. It uses more than 1 Gig of RAM just sitting
> there doing nothing! I only use Vista for a couple games that will not
> play on Linux and they work really well with the 4Gigs of RAM. If you
> wonder the games are EQII, Space Empires, and Civ4.

Yes I too have Vista on my laptop. I hated it because I wanted to
add something and could not find "Run". After some fooling around I got
Vista to look like Windows 3.1 and Run is right out front.

Looks like we both got Vista because it comes with the laptop. It
took a day or two to get 8.10 installed and now I do everything on Ubuntu.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
"Mark Haney"

Jason Crain wrote:
> On Wed, January 7, 2009 9:09 am, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>> I have a Inspiron 1525 with 4GB of Ram and I noticed through system
>>> monitor that the 32-bit Ubuntu sees 3.5GB of that. I know my video card
>>> uses 256MB, so does this mean that I am using a total of 3.75GB or is
>>> that 256MB included in the 3.5GB listed?
>>>
>>> This question is important to me as I am trying to decide if I
>>> should move to a 64-bit system or not. Losing 500MB bugs me a little
>>> more than loosing 256MB.
>>>
>> That depends, does your video card use shared video memory? You can
>> find that in the BIOS as normally you can adjust that down if you need
>> to conserve RAM for non-video needs.
>>
>> A lot of laptops do that, but I don't know that all of them do. Mine
>> does not, but yours might be different.
>>
>> If it's NOT shared memory, then you're only seeing 3.5GB on the 32bit
>> system. However, I'd be willing to bet that you ARE using shared memory,
>> as typically a 32-bit system sees 3.7 to 3.8GB of RAM our of 4GB.
>
> It doesn't matter if it is shared memory or not. 32 bit systems can only
> see a maximum of 4GB ram, and this includes video memory, shared or not.

<sarcasm>Really? I had no idea.</sarcasm> And for the purposes of this
discussion, irrelevant. He's aware of the fact that 32-bit systems can
only see 4GB.

> The difference is that if you move to 64 bit and the video card has its
> own ram, you will see a total of about 3.9GB ram. If it uses shared ram,
> you will only see a total of about 3.7GB ram.
>
> Back to the original question, you have 3.5GB of usable ram. 256MB has
> been set aside for the video card. If you move to 64 bit, you will see a
> small increase which depends upon whether the video card has its own ram
> or uses the shared ram.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Scott

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Looks like we both got Vista because it comes with the laptop. It
> took a day or two to get 8.10 installed and now I do everything on Ubuntu.
Same here. I will go into Visa to play EQ for an hour, but everything
else I do is on Ubuntu; this even includes scanning windows for viruses
. I'm actually scared of using the Internet on windows unless I need to.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Ray Parrish

Scott wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Looks like we both got Vista because it comes with the laptop. It
>> took a day or two to get 8.10 installed and now I do everything on Ubuntu.
>>
> Same here. I will go into Visa to play EQ for an hour, but everything
> else I do is on Ubuntu; this even includes scanning windows for viruses
> . I'm actually scared of using the Internet on windows unless I need to.

My Uncle turned me on to the Microsoft PS Tools, which include a program
called PSSExec. With this program you can run your internet facing
programs with restricted privileges, which will prevent you from
suffering the effects of any mistakes you make while surfing the web or
reading emails. 8-) Get it here -

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/pstools.mspx>

And there is a primer on their usage here -

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162490%28printer%29.aspx>

To use PSExec with your internet programs put the following on the
command line in front of their calls in their shortcuts. -

C:windowssystem32psexec.exe -l -d

This assumes that you copy psexec.exe into the WindowsSystem folder,
change the above path to reflect where you decide to put it. This same
program can be used with different switches to run programs in admin
mode from within a restricted user account as well.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows