Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Scott

Default Slightly different memory question

Hi,

I have a Inspiron 1525 with 4GB of Ram and I noticed through system
monitor that the 32-bit Ubuntu sees 3.5GB of that. I know my video card
uses 256MB, so does this mean that I am using a total of 3.75GB or is
that 256MB included in the 3.5GB listed?

This question is important to me as I am trying to decide if I should
move to a 64-bit system or not. Losing 500MB bugs me a little more than
loosing 256MB.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 8.10

Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
"Mark Haney"

Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Inspiron 1525 with 4GB of Ram and I noticed through system
> monitor that the 32-bit Ubuntu sees 3.5GB of that. I know my video card
> uses 256MB, so does this mean that I am using a total of 3.75GB or is
> that 256MB included in the 3.5GB listed?
>
> This question is important to me as I am trying to decide if I should
> move to a 64-bit system or not. Losing 500MB bugs me a little more than
> loosing 256MB.

That depends, does your video card use shared video memory? You can
find that in the BIOS as normally you can adjust that down if you need
to conserve RAM for non-video needs.

A lot of laptops do that, but I don't know that all of them do. Mine
does not, but yours might be different.

If it's NOT shared memory, then you're only seeing 3.5GB on the 32bit
system. However, I'd be willing to bet that you ARE using shared memory,
as typically a 32-bit system sees 3.7 to 3.8GB of RAM our of 4GB.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Scott

Mark Haney wrote:
> That depends, does your video card use shared video memory?
Yes, it is shared memory. This is actually one of the main reasons I
went with 4GB of RAM for this laptop.

> If it's NOT shared memory, then you're only seeing 3.5GB on the 32bit
> system. However, I'd be willing to bet that you ARE using shared memory,
> as typically a 32-bit system sees 3.7 to 3.8GB of RAM our of 4GB.
Okay, so the 3.75GB would be right in the middle of the average and
makes sense.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mark Haney wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Inspiron 1525 with 4GB of Ram and I noticed through system
>> monitor that the 32-bit Ubuntu sees 3.5GB of that. I know my video card
>> uses 256MB, so does this mean that I am using a total of 3.75GB or is
>> that 256MB included in the 3.5GB listed?
>>
>> This question is important to me as I am trying to decide if I should
>> move to a 64-bit system or not. Losing 500MB bugs me a little more than
>> loosing 256MB.
>>

> That depends, does your video card use shared video memory? You can
> find that in the BIOS as normally you can adjust that down if you need
> to conserve RAM for non-video needs.
>
> A lot of laptops do that, but I don't know that all of them do. Mine
> does not, but yours might be different.
>
> If it's NOT shared memory, then you're only seeing 3.5GB on the 32bit
> system. However, I'd be willing to bet that you ARE using shared memory,
> as typically a 32-bit system sees 3.7 to 3.8GB of RAM our of 4GB.

All this memory problems make me VERY happy I have just 2 GB of RAM
in all my computers. I did this with the help of "top". I checked my
computer with 500 MB of RAM and it was using the swap file a lot! Slowed
down performance. Then I got 1 GB and that was lots better but the swap
file was still being used a little. So I upgraded to 2 GB and now the
swap file does not need to be there. It is ever used with 2 GB of RAM.

So why have 4 GB??

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Wed, January 7, 2009 9:09 am, Mark Haney wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> I have a Inspiron 1525 with 4GB of Ram and I noticed through system
>> monitor that the 32-bit Ubuntu sees 3.5GB of that. I know my video card
>> uses 256MB, so does this mean that I am using a total of 3.75GB or is
>> that 256MB included in the 3.5GB listed?
>>
>> This question is important to me as I am trying to decide if I
>> should move to a 64-bit system or not. Losing 500MB bugs me a little
>> more than loosing 256MB.
>>
> That depends, does your video card use shared video memory? You can
> find that in the BIOS as normally you can adjust that down if you need
> to conserve RAM for non-video needs.
>
> A lot of laptops do that, but I don't know that all of them do. Mine
> does not, but yours might be different.
>
> If it's NOT shared memory, then you're only seeing 3.5GB on the 32bit
> system. However, I'd be willing to bet that you ARE using shared memory,
> as typically a 32-bit system sees 3.7 to 3.8GB of RAM our of 4GB.

It doesn't matter if it is shared memory or not. 32 bit systems can only
see a maximum of 4GB ram, and this includes video memory, shared or not.

The difference is that if you move to 64 bit and the video card has its
own ram, you will see a total of about 3.9GB ram. If it uses shared ram,
you will only see a total of about 3.7GB ram.

Back to the original question, you have 3.5GB of usable ram. 256MB has
been set aside for the video card. If you move to 64 bit, you will see a
small increase which depends upon whether the video card has its own ram
or uses the shared ram.