Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Chris Jones

Default Media Player error

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>> So I removed Totem from Hardy and Invincible...
>
> Do you mean, "...from Hardy and Intrepid...?"
> If you use the numbering system you might have an easier time.
>
> (Hardy is 8.04, Intrepid is 8.10)
>
> Besides, Ray is looking to /fix/ Totem, not change it out.

(For once) I agree with Karl. Totem is a total waste of space. I might
be wrong but my guess is the OP is only using totem because that is (for
some reason ...) the default video player, and thus what fires when you
just double click on an video file.

My suggestion is to just alter the default media player to something,
anything, else (VLC is a good candidate, but mplayer also works in most
cases I think. kaffeine is also pretty good if you favour KDE) and
forget totem.

cheers Chris

Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Ray Parrish

Chris Jones wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> So I removed Totem from Hardy and Invincible...
>>>
>> Do you mean, "...from Hardy and Intrepid...?"
>> If you use the numbering system you might have an easier time.
>>
>> (Hardy is 8.04, Intrepid is 8.10)
>>
>> Besides, Ray is looking to /fix/ Totem, not change it out.
>>

> (For once) I agree with Karl. Totem is a total waste of space. I might
> be wrong but my guess is the OP is only using totem because that is (for
> some reason ...) the default video player, and thus what fires when you
> just double click on an video file.
>
> My suggestion is to just alter the default media player to something,
> anything, else (VLC is a good candidate, but mplayer also works in most
> cases I think. kaffeine is also pretty good if you favour KDE) and
> forget totem.
>
> cheers Chris

I've got a good thread going on Launchpad, and from the log files it
appears to be a problem with pulseaudio that came about after updates to
several modules on the 6th of this month, as that is when the problems
came about.

I'm suspecting some video chip updates for AMD video chips, as although
I have an AMD 3400+ cpu in this box, all of the mother board chips are
nvidia, from the onboard video to the network, etc...

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Rob

What does "OP" mean?

RTF

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 AM
NoOp

On 01/07/2009 06:45 PM, Rob wrote:
> What does "OP" mean?

Original Poster. It refers to the the one that started the thread - in
this case Ray.