Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
"Steve Flynn"

Default Processor Scaling

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
<nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:

> I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
> time my system is running at half speed. How do I disable processor
> scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?

Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.

However, if you really want to do this then it's quite possibly a
setting on your bios. Failing that, you can read
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/enabling-cpu-frequency-scaling/
and follow the instructions there.

Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
"Francisco Borges"

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
> <nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:
>
>> I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
>> time my system is running at half speed. How do I disable processor
>> scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?
>
> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.

Not quite the case with modern processors. See link below.

> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.

IF his processor can actually save lots on idle, he should actually
run it at full speed. All the time.

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/applications-power-management/race-to-idle.php

Note that I don't know if turning off scaling at the BIOS would still
allow the savings to kick in through P-state setting.

HTH, and with kind regards,
--
Francisco

Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Ray Parrish

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
> <nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:
>

>> I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
>> time my system is running at half speed. How do I disable processor
>> scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?
>>

> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.
>
> However, if you really want to do this then it's quite possibly a
> setting on your bios. Failing that, you can read
> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/enabling-cpu-frequency-scaling/
> and follow the instructions there.
>
> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.

Hello,

I'm not worried about the power bill, and this isn't a laptop. I want
the most erformance I can get at all times, so I now have it set to
always run at 2gig.

Thanks for telling me how.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Ray Parrish

Francisco Borges wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
>> <nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
>>> time my system is running at half speed. How do I disable processor
>>> scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?
>>>
>> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
>> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
>> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
>> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.
>>

> Not quite the case with modern processors. See link below.
>

>> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
>> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.
>>

> IF his processor can actually save lots on idle, he should actually
> run it at full speed. All the time.
>
> http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/applications-power-management/race-to-idle.php
>
> Note that I don't know if turning off scaling at the BIOS would still
> allow the savings to kick in through P-state setting.
>
> HTH, and with kind regards,

Now add to that the fact that my computer no longer grays out windows I
am switching to when switching programs since I set it to top speed all
the time, and I think I'll keep it this way. 8-)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Lubbers, Nicholas
>> <nlubbers@shopthepig.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
>>> time my system is running at half speed. How do I disable processor
>>> scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?
>>>

>> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
>> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
>> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
>> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.
>>
>> However, if you really want to do this then it's quite possibly a
>> setting on your bios. Failing that, you can read
>> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/enabling-cpu-frequency-scaling/
>> and follow the instructions there.
>>
>> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
>> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.
>
> I'm not worried about the power bill, and this isn't a laptop.

Damn. That's the problem with North America. Power is so cheap, nobody
cares.

> I want
> the most erformance I can get at all times, so I now have it set to
> always run at 2gig.

And if your processor is now running at 20% instead of 50%, how exactly have
you improved performance?

If CPU scaling is working as it should, as soon as you put a load on the CPU
it'll up its frequency to keep working at its optimum. Yes, there are
specific cases where this causes problems, but there's no "performance"
reason for turning it off in the general case.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Ray Parrish wrote:
>I have discovered that my sytem has processor scaling, and most of the
time my system is running at half speed.
>How do I disable processor
scaling so I can run at full speed at all times?

I have Everex cloudbook UMPC and enabling frequency scaling does doubling processor speed. Without frequency scaling, cloudbook is detected having 600Mhz and stays that way for whole time. But after frequency scaling compiled-ins, frequency may peak at 1200MHz. In Hardy, frequency scaling requires either kernel recompile from vanilla or using kernel backports.

After recompiling, to enable frequency scaling peaks its processor performance -- because you have desktop thus no need to conserve battery -- use following command:

sudo cpufreq-selector -g performance

However, processor cool-offs significantly when idle, which is perhaps a good idea for a desktop, using following command:

sudo cpufreq-selector -g ondemand

Having ondemand method, processor throttles up when it needed processing power and throttles down when idle (which is almost always all the time).

But there is a caveat in cloudbook. Everytime ondemand frequency hits minimum 400Mhz, Hardy freeze solid. The workaround is to set minimum frequency to 500Mhz instead of 400Mhz.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 04:29 +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:

> sudo cpufreq-selector -g performance

If you are running the Gnome desktop, you can set the processor speed in
the CPU frequency scaling applet. Just left click on the applet after
you put it in a panel.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Ray Parrish

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Steve Flynn wrote:

>>> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
>>> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
>>> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
>>> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.
>>>
>>> However, if you really want to do this then it's quite possibly a
>>> setting on your bios. Failing that, you can read
>>> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/enabling-cpu-frequency-scaling/
>>> and follow the instructions there.
>>>
>>> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
>>> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.
>>>
>> I'm not worried about the power bill, and this isn't a laptop.
>>

> Damn. That's the problem with North America. Power is so cheap, nobody
> cares.

Well, we're talking about something that runs on 5 volts, I don't think
it's going to use enough extra poower to affect anything much...
>> I want
>> the most erformance I can get at all times, so I now have it set to
>> always run at 2gig.
>>

> And if your processor is now running at 20% instead of 50%, how exactly have
> you improved performance?

What the hell are you talking about? I'm now running the processor at
100%, not 20%, where did you get that number from?
> If CPU scaling is working as it should, as soon as you put a load on the CPU
> it'll up its frequency to keep working at its optimum. Yes, there are
> specific cases where this causes problems, but there's no "performance"
> reason for turning it off in the general case.

That was the problem, when I put a load on it, it would stay at half
speed instead of kicking up to full speed when it was needed.

Someone else in this thread expressed concern over cpu temperature. I
just finished a four hour virus scan of my Windows drive, and during the
entire scan the cpu stayed at 107 F, and now is at 104 F, and it never
seems to get any hotter than that.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Ray Parrish

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 04:29 +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
>

>> sudo cpufreq-selector -g performance
>>

> If you are running the Gnome desktop, you can set the processor speed in
> the CPU frequency scaling applet. Just left click on the applet after
> you put it in a panel.

Not unless you run another command first to tell the applet it has root
privileges. I followed a link to instructions for that from someone in
this thread, and now have been able to use the applet to set my cpu to
2000mhz, which is near it's top speed of 2100 mhz, and things are
responding much more quickly now.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Rashkae

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Someone else in this thread expressed concern over cpu temperature. I
> just finished a four hour virus scan of my Windows drive, and during the
> entire scan the cpu stayed at 107 F, and now is at 104 F, and it never
> seems to get any hotter than that.

The difference in Power from CPU running idle at full Mhz and running
idle at half Mhz (ie, with CPU scaling enabled) should be in the
neighborhood of 5 to 10 watts. Significant only if multiplied by dozens
or hundreds of computers.

As for your particular problem, it sounds to me as though at some point,
your CPU governor was set to "Powersave" instead of OnDemand. Your
choices are usually "OnDemand" "Performance" or "PowerSave". The
default should be "OnDemand" which usually works as the name implies.
However, if you were not getting your full CPU speed when needed, and
are happier simply disabling scaling in the BIOS, then all the power to ya.

You would have to be overclocking a CPU to overheat it past what even
the cheap OEM heatsink+fans can handle without even trying.