Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
"Brian McKee"

Default Processor Scaling

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In both cases, the laptop was wirelessly connected to the network and
> ready for Internet surfing.

I hope the battery was out and the room temp about the same and all
the updates installed on both and no indexers running etc. or the test
was meaningless....

Brian

Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> Might be interesting to connect one of these things & test:
>
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=14691
> [P3 P4460 Kill-A-Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor]

I connect _everything_ to a Kill-a-watt - living off-grid, with about 2Kwh
available per day, you learn what everything costs. :-)

> <quote>
> I'd heard that Linux is less power-efficient than Windows. I used a
> Kill-A-Watt to test that assumption, and it seems to be wrong:
>
> In Windows XP SP3:
> When my laptop is at a blank desktop, no applications or unneeded
> services running, the laptop consumes 56 watts. If I close the lid and
> wait for 5 minutes for the hard drive to go into power-saving mode, the
> laptop uses 50 watts.

Unfortunately, I've never actually had a Windows machine to test!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Derek Broughton

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> In both cases, the laptop was wirelessly connected to the network and
>> ready for Internet surfing.
>
> I hope the battery was out and the room temp about the same and all
> the updates installed on both and no indexers running etc. or the test
> was meaningless....

Hardly meaningless. The battery and temperature issues are valid, but "all
updates" is probably not. In fact, I'd say it's more valid to test the
latest released versions against each other, without updates, as that's what
the average user will have. And indexers _should_ be running - and my
experience with Ubuntu is that in that case it's likely to be running hot
and busy, because those darn indexers never stop until you make them.