Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Francesco Bolzoni

Default Shutdown: i must press a key to poweroff.

Hi all.
I own an ACER 7520G notebook, with ubuntu 8.10.
Everytime i want shutdown the sistem, if i don't press the enter key the
system stay there without poweroff.
Yesterday, I forget to do itand system wait for the key for about 4
hours. Just after i press the enter key it poweroff.

I had ubuntu 8.04 also, but theren't the need to press the key to
poweroff.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Francesco Bolzoni wrote:
> Hi all.
> I own an ACER 7520G notebook, with ubuntu 8.10.
> Everytime i want shutdown the sistem, if i don't press the enter key the
> system stay there without poweroff.
> Yesterday, I forget to do itand system wait for the key for about 4
> hours. Just after i press the enter key it poweroff.
>
> I had ubuntu 8.04 also, but theren't the need to press the key to
> poweroff.
>
> Any suggestion ?

I noticed the same problem on a Toshiba laptop. I haven't hat the
enchantment to actually check the reasons. However, I assume it has
something to do with ACPI and a process that will not terminate and thus
the criteria for the final halt is missing. I think I would try to shut
it down in a controlled way and thereby see if you get a pointer.
Something like:
Remove spash and quet from boot line.
Diable gdm.
Reboot
Login as normal user.
sudo shutdown -h now

You might find this at the end:
* Sending all processes the KILL signal.... [OK]
* Unmounting temporary file systems........ [OK]
* Deactivating sqap........................ [OK]
* Unmounting local file systems............ [OK]
* Will halt
halt: Unable to iterate IDE devices: No such file or directory
[ 146.989279] System halted.

and then we are still sitting there sucking power.

It is a wild guess, but what if the ACPI powers down the IDE and
therefore leaving the OS unable to check if *all* IDE devices really are
down?

At least, if this error message is the same on your computer, it should
give us an idea where to search.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> Francesco Bolzoni wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I own an ACER 7520G notebook, with ubuntu 8.10.
>> Everytime i want shutdown the sistem, if i don't press the enter key the
>> system stay there without poweroff.
>> Yesterday, I forget to do itand system wait for the key for about 4
>> hours. Just after i press the enter key it poweroff.
>>
>> I had ubuntu 8.04 also, but theren't the need to press the key to
>> poweroff.
>>
>> Any suggestion ?
>
> I noticed the same problem on a Toshiba laptop. I haven't hat the
> enchantment to actually check the reasons. However, I assume it has
> something to do with ACPI and a process that will not terminate and thus
> the criteria for the final halt is missing. I think I would try to shut
> it down in a controlled way and thereby see if you get a pointer.
> Something like:
> Remove spash and quet from boot line.
> Diable gdm.
> Reboot
> Login as normal user.
> sudo shutdown -h now
>
> You might find this at the end:
> * Sending all processes the KILL signal.... [OK]
> * Unmounting temporary file systems........ [OK]
> * Deactivating sqap........................ [OK]
> * Unmounting local file systems............ [OK]
> * Will halt
> halt: Unable to iterate IDE devices: No such file or directory
> [ 146.989279] System halted.
>
> and then we are still sitting there sucking power.
>
> It is a wild guess, but what if the ACPI powers down the IDE and
> therefore leaving the OS unable to check if *all* IDE devices really are
> down?
>
> At least, if this error message is the same on your computer, it should
> give us an idea where to search.

Interesting reading:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg989295.html
Some ideas and work arounds in:

Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
NoOp

On 12/22/2008 04:33 AM, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

>> It is a wild guess, but what if the ACPI powers down the IDE and
>> therefore leaving the OS unable to check if *all* IDE devices really are
>> down?
>>
>> At least, if this error message is the same on your computer, it should
>> give us an idea where to search.
>
> Interesting reading:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg989295.html
> Some ideas and work arounds in:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/193125

Had this issue several rev's back on an old Clevo (Lapnote) laptop:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308
See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308/comments/36>

Note: I only had to do the:

sudo gedit /etc/modules. Add the following line, then save:
apm power_off=1

And filed for hardy:

Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Francesco Bolzoni

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 09:15 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> Note: I only had to do the:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/modules. Add the following line, then save:
> apm power_off=1
>
> And filed for hardy:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/181892

I've tryed the "patch", but still remain ON ...

Thanks anyway !

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Francesco Bolzoni wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 09:15 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Note: I only had to do the:
>>
>> sudo gedit /etc/modules. Add the following line, then save:
>> apm power_off=1
>>
>> And filed for hardy:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/181892
>>
> I've tryed the "patch", but still remain ON ...

I just tried it on my Toshiba with 8.04 xcfe/gnome and it worked right away.

If it could be of any help to you, here is my file:
//////////////////////////////
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

fuse
lp

# Generated by sensors-detect on Mon Jun 16 18:00:24 2008
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-piix4
# Chip drivers
adm1021