Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   N/W issue Long boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/216292-n-w-issue-long-boot.html)

H.S.Rai 12-22-2008 12:24 AM

N/W issue Long boot
 
On 12/22/08, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It looks like the DHCP script is taking almost 70 seconds to run. Try
> running 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart'

My /etc/network/intefaces was:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The primary network interface
#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Which had wireless commented, and ethernet enabled. I was not using
LAN, but Wireless. So "time sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"
through following output and took 1m 14.3s

wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:16:d3:03:ce:ab
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:16:d3:03:ce:ab
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
* if-up.d/mountnfs[eth0]: waiting for interface lo before doing NFS mounts
[ OK ]

real 1m14.297s
user 0m0.108s
sys 0m0.120s

Now I have commented all lines in interfaces file, and it take 0.255
sec. Wireless is still working. That mean on network connection,
"interfaces" has no effect. My this approach is wrong. Afetr
commenting all lines, stiff service runs. Is there mean, not to run
this command during bootup at all as it has no bearing. When all lines
are commented, which script or programme make wifi to run?

Following thread also seems to be related.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/167081.html

Thanks for investigation issue.

--
H.S.Rai

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

John Hubbard 12-22-2008 03:56 AM

N/W issue Long boot
 
H.S.Rai wrote:
> On 12/22/08, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks like the DHCP script is taking almost 70 seconds to run. Try
>> running 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart'
>>
>
> My /etc/network/intefaces was:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> # The primary network interface
> #auto wlan0
> #iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>
> Which had wireless commented, and ethernet enabled. I was not using
> LAN, but Wireless. So "time sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"
> through following output and took 1m 14.3s
>
> wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
> Listening on LPF/eth0/00:16:d3:03:ce:ab
> Sending on LPF/eth0/00:16:d3:03:ce:ab
> Sending on Socket/fallback
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>
[snip]
OK it looks like eth0 (your wired connection?) is trying to get an IP
address but nothing is giving it one. Are you sure that there is a DHCP
server running that will give your machine an IP address? Is an network
cable plugged into it?
> Now I have commented all lines in interfaces file, and it take 0.255
> sec. Wireless is still working. That mean on network connection,
> "interfaces" has no effect.
What happens if you just comment out the 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' line? I
think that this will start up your wired networking so that if you were
to plug something in than everything would work. If you don't plug
anything in, it should sit idle.

The wireless isn't looking to the /etc/networking/interfaces file to
determine its behavior. It is determining its behavior from the network
manager (I think).
> My this approach is wrong. Afetr
> commenting all lines, stiff service runs. Is there mean, not to run
> this command during bootup at all as it has no bearing. When all lines
> are commented, which script or programme make wifi to run?
>
I am not sure what makes the WiFi run.
> Following thread also seems to be related.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-November/167081.html
>
If I am really lucky then commenting out the line above should let the
network manager handle the wired connection and it should start working
properly.

Good luck let me know if it works.

--
-john

To be or not to be, that is the question
2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Brian McKee" 12-22-2008 01:44 PM

N/W issue Long boot
 
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM, H. S. Rai <hardeep.rai@gmail.com> wrote:
> When all lines
> are commented, which script or programme make wifi to run?

Network manager. And if you have info in the interfaces file Network
Manager and the 'old fashioned' way of controlling your interfaces end
up conflicting with each other. Use one or the other but not both.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.