FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Alex Janssen
 
Default CD burning problems

I have burned a lot of iso images to CDs this year, but recently I
started getting an error writing CD from gnome. I used to right-click
an iso file in a Nautilus browser and select burn to disk with no
problems. Now, nothing will burn. I tried Brasero and also got an
error. They both write a directory track to the CD, then quit with an
error. I'm running 8.04 LTS and a Sony DVD RW DRU-190A. I've tried
replacing the drive. Seems to me that some update in the last month or
so, is causing this.

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West (320)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Alexander Aguilar Torrico
 
Default CD burning problems

try command mode with cdrecord

El 21/12/2008, a las 07:50 p.m., Alex Janssen escribió:

> I have burned a lot of iso images to CDs this year, but recently I
> started getting an error writing CD from gnome. I used to right-click
> an iso file in a Nautilus browser and select burn to disk with no
> problems. Now, nothing will burn. I tried Brasero and also got an
> error. They both write a directory track to the CD, then quit with an
> error. I'm running 8.04 LTS and a Sony DVD RW DRU-190A. I've tried
> replacing the drive. Seems to me that some update in the last month
> or
> so, is causing this.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?
>
> Alex
>
> --
> Ourwoods.org
> When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've
> never tried before. - Mae West (320)
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Alex Janssen
 
Default CD burning problems

Alex Janssen said the following on 12/21/2008 06:50 PM:
> I have burned a lot of iso images to CDs this year, but recently I
> started getting an error writing CD from gnome. I used to right-click
> an iso file in a Nautilus browser and select burn to disk with no
> problems. Now, nothing will burn. I tried Brasero and also got an
> error. They both write a directory track to the CD, then quit with an
> error. I'm running 8.04 LTS and a Sony DVD RW DRU-190A. I've tried
> replacing the drive. Seems to me that some update in the last month or
> so, is causing this.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?
>
> Alex
>
>
I take it that nobody else has had this happen.
Is a reinstall the only suggested solution?

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Appearances often are deceiving. (39)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default CD burning problems

Alex Janssen wrote:
> Alex Janssen said the following on 12/21/2008 06:50 PM:
>
>> I have burned a lot of iso images to CDs this year, but recently I
>> started getting an error writing CD from gnome. I used to right-click
>> an iso file in a Nautilus browser and select burn to disk with no
>> problems. Now, nothing will burn. I tried Brasero and also got an
>> error. They both write a directory track to the CD, then quit with an
>> error. I'm running 8.04 LTS and a Sony DVD RW DRU-190A. I've tried
>> replacing the drive. Seems to me that some update in the last month or
>> so, is causing this.
>>
>> Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?
>>
>> Alex
>>
>>
>>
> I take it that nobody else has had this happen.
> Is a reinstall the only suggested solution?
>
> Alex
>
>
My only suggestion is you might have 2 bad CD devices. I have used
the Gnome software with zero problems for several years.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default CD burning problems

--- On Sun, 12/28/08, Alex Janssen <alex@ourwoods.org> wrote:

> From: Alex Janssen <alex@ourwoods.org>
> Subject: Re: CD burning problems
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 2:21 PM
> Alex Janssen said the following on 12/21/2008 06:50 PM:
> > I have burned a lot of iso images to CDs this year,
> but recently I
> > started getting an error writing CD from gnome. I
> used to right-click
> > an iso file in a Nautilus browser and select burn to
> disk with no
> > problems. Now, nothing will burn. I tried Brasero
> and also got an
> > error. They both write a directory track to the CD,
> then quit with an
> > error. I'm running 8.04 LTS and a Sony DVD RW
> DRU-190A. I've tried
> > replacing the drive. Seems to me that some update in
> the last month or
> > so, is causing this.
> >
> > Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a
> solution?
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >
> I take it that nobody else has had this happen.
> Is a reinstall the only suggested solution?
>
>
Very doubtful that you would have to reinstall
to solve the problem.
You didn't say just what the error was you
experienced. It might help the list to know
just what it was. Copy it on your reply or
google for the explicit error message you got.
You may learn something.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Alex Janssen
 
Default CD burning problems

Alexander Aguilar Torrico said the following on 12/23/2008 07:03 PM:
> try command mode with cdrecord
>
> El 21/12/2008, a las 07:50 p.m., Alex Janssen escribió:
>
>
cdrecord also failed, so I did a fresh install of U8.10 and all my
problems disappeared. Even my Epson 2450 scanner works with it, now.
I'd been upgrading this desktop since 6.04. Guess it just got too
scrambled.

I would recommend a 'fresh' install to anyone having troubles.

Best,
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Be sure to treat your assumptions as though they are reality. (53)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Alberto Ferrante
 
Default CD burning problems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Hi all,
with Fedra 12, since the advent of kernel 2.6.32 I have a strange
problem with both my CD burners (a Plextor and an Asus): I can burn CDs
(apparently) without any problem, but those CDs are unreadable.
I am currently using Brasero as K3B had the same problem even with
previous releases of the kernel!

Anybody else experienced anything like this? Suggestions?

Best,
Alberto

- --
Home page: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/personal
Photo galleries : http://albertoferrante.name
Public key: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/pubkey.txt
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJLtgKiAAoJEGwAj6ArCn4k2xUQALw2qlKbZ7 pYBEYPQAzwGLVW
ShAnRr8p9Fvd10dUYzgeWK8HHsKwsWpDWh3sHpxwuviMQCz2SI vEMfuWWJqFn5Fh
LlrDahEgg8AgWom4sCWK0buHlbhwkVL1h0YnuEFW+BptlUEDYp gYi6MDUGPUi6xO
f75MeRJN2mD3RPJmbXl3XH/p42XG5edDDcee3RFhgmS0QynmEj+UNDHt7S4Q/Q4J
gp2Ke7gPAi/M8t3T+NuIMmnKWaEfypP3joFVsWjnrozlv44jUKQM86qe2iTEo qI9
JGlXmDOXBJwDIQHD1NX/Sd44DynybF6Zspd4LJIc6mAGLsLU5Y3H42vl4SkqEwXY
om6933AL2TkRZHxMARRGyJ9zUN+XvfayxYhV00H/gfoo3ljlFEVD20kBU6pCo5lr
X5YDEnp6gPMSXI1xeYrrMS2VDpp5M68Cwkc6jfJ4KHO/LHixRvtYYIPdNj4xVIb3
VJbQQLkKe2IOlAwqTyqXQkpmsT+KY2ygllNow6RTdKCX/RG+rnn55jB3aJGROhqt
e5OYCEyFQ3DUvv7riBE/lYqIMl/ez3yIK0jXKD0TNY6zaufScBw84CUkBncOrnvE
ukJHbHyjGPuVxrmbIREb/RLyiZxcpETp6dTD1moyhjMF0WABQSx1lQKYmMhZJv8j
qPxrFPsPRBCb3RFnAofa
=qGhG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Alberto Ferrante
 
Default CD burning problems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Anybody on this? :-)


Hi all,
with Fedra 12, since the advent of kernel 2.6.32 I have a strange
problem with both my CD burners (a Plextor and an Asus): I can burn CDs
(apparently) without any problem, but those CDs are unreadable.
I am currently using Brasero as K3B had the same problem even with
previous releases of the kernel!

Anybody else experienced anything like this? Suggestions?

Best,
Alberto

- --
Home page: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/personal
Photo galleries : http://albertoferrante.name
Public key: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/pubkey.txt
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.13 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJLvG7pAAoJEGwAj6ArCn4kazwP/jXOa1e74j+yz8lr4GSca4MA
jrLP4BkPz+XXro+0H2QXRC5SUkg2knjo4R6Qqr1W1UumFQfXES 3l3hQNEVtVniIz
egBtzoaM9+lKajVe7MPDUavk3xj7P95/M6jklTdOVyHtT78t2l8o6h+QYtv31Cu7
um8R2t23P+vBewJz9LqOmwekqI/jZF5hH4SSQOpVJEx8BIzM9kgb5hkWs8Fxdrcr
85IX7PagwosdR2iFTQ7ub6DCjBXSe8wktK6ZclN1TvPCXYkqH0 OqdkMMXm2tdT9+
YlSBEFZfusu0sajvfeuqoSKIASWpNkRh8ZQS1hmFfTZS20ub5b 27dIKABIMh0xb2
vfagLBjy7ZYz0MksLBMoMoYA0RXeV+t3TBBYfWCEg1kRQzmTuZ z7M92d7wY7GnZt
1MGvAyPK17pu0fVgMmhReGtZz994Xsu3SLuD/W0qRhBsC72mkaRwGxuh8xaZVCcu
H9fVktiiYBRicXG8hXvAJprW6kQ0sXMr9uOsg75uVRPQ4gQESU PflAg23YsB2T20
ogI/4WKb3e44KS/ZEhfhXPtVuKysJ+3Zc1fqWQFTxR0OvYu/1DtDVKSxAXbsS0Yq
+9/lDA4WkHaEendnmrWeSgcZ1DzztguvNVumhMLyflwr3kY7wRORP cpWS6iQap8U
e9Jm7UD+PjeLH8iFL2Aj
=jwjl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
fred smith
 
Default CD burning problems

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 01:39:22PM +0200, Alberto Ferrante wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA256
>
> Anybody on this? :-)
>
>
> Hi all,
> with Fedra 12, since the advent of kernel 2.6.32 I have a strange
> problem with both my CD burners (a Plextor and an Asus): I can burn CDs
> (apparently) without any problem, but those CDs are unreadable.
> I am currently using Brasero as K3B had the same problem even with
> previous releases of the kernel!
>
> Anybody else experienced anything like this? Suggestions?
>

No, I'm not having such a problem.

Thoughts, though:
--try the burned media on other computers: are they readable there?
--will the system read media burned on other computers? using the
same brand of media? using k3b on the other computers?
--try a different drive in the same computer
--have you changed brands of media? Once upon a time I had a CDRW drive
that only worked on some kinds/brands of media, and I had one batch
of media it would burn fine but couldn't read after burning it while
other drives could. (needless to say, that drive is long-since gone.)

> Best,
> Alberto
>
> - --
> Home page: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/personal
> Photo galleries : http://albertoferrante.name
> Public key: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/pubkey.txt
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.13 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJLvG7pAAoJEGwAj6ArCn4kazwP/jXOa1e74j+yz8lr4GSca4MA
> jrLP4BkPz+XXro+0H2QXRC5SUkg2knjo4R6Qqr1W1UumFQfXES 3l3hQNEVtVniIz
> egBtzoaM9+lKajVe7MPDUavk3xj7P95/M6jklTdOVyHtT78t2l8o6h+QYtv31Cu7
> um8R2t23P+vBewJz9LqOmwekqI/jZF5hH4SSQOpVJEx8BIzM9kgb5hkWs8Fxdrcr
> 85IX7PagwosdR2iFTQ7ub6DCjBXSe8wktK6ZclN1TvPCXYkqH0 OqdkMMXm2tdT9+
> YlSBEFZfusu0sajvfeuqoSKIASWpNkRh8ZQS1hmFfTZS20ub5b 27dIKABIMh0xb2
> vfagLBjy7ZYz0MksLBMoMoYA0RXeV+t3TBBYfWCEg1kRQzmTuZ z7M92d7wY7GnZt
> 1MGvAyPK17pu0fVgMmhReGtZz994Xsu3SLuD/W0qRhBsC72mkaRwGxuh8xaZVCcu
> H9fVktiiYBRicXG8hXvAJprW6kQ0sXMr9uOsg75uVRPQ4gQESU PflAg23YsB2T20
> ogI/4WKb3e44KS/ZEhfhXPtVuKysJ+3Zc1fqWQFTxR0OvYu/1DtDVKSxAXbsS0Yq
> +9/lDA4WkHaEendnmrWeSgcZ1DzztguvNVumhMLyflwr3kY7wRORP cpWS6iQap8U
> e9Jm7UD+PjeLH8iFL2Aj
> =jwjl
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
The Lord detests the way of the wicked
but he loves those who pursue righteousness.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:9 (niv) -----------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Alberto Ferrante
 
Default CD burning problems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Thanks for your reply Fred,

>> with Fedra 12, since the advent of kernel 2.6.32 I have a strange
>> problem with both my CD burners (a Plextor and an Asus): I can burn CDs
>> (apparently) without any problem, but those CDs are unreadable.
>> I am currently using Brasero as K3B had the same problem even with
>> previous releases of the kernel!

> Thoughts, though:
> --try the burned media on other computers: are they readable there?

No in general, but one of them strangely appears to be readable on my
laptop that also runs Fedora 12.

> --will the system read media burned on other computers? using the
> same brand of media? using k3b on the other computers?

Definitely yes! And I can read them on the PC where I have problems. I
can even read CDs I previously burned on this PC.

> --try a different drive in the same computer

Both my CD burners (an Asus and a Plextor) have the same problem.

> --have you changed brands of media? Once upon a time I had a CDRW drive
> that only worked on some kinds/brands of media, and I had one batch
> of media it would burn fine but couldn't read after burning it while
> other drives could. (needless to say, that drive is long-since gone.)

I have been using exactly the same media (Verbatim) for a long time, and
I cannot see a reason why media coming from the same 50-CD package were
OK 2 months ago and they are not now. Furthermore, burning CD images
seems to work fine (but I haven't tried that in the last days).

As soon as I find some time, I'd like trying to burn a CD from the
command line.

Thanks again for your reply.

Best,
Alberto

- --
Home page: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/personal
Photo galleries : http://albertoferrante.name
Public key: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto/pubkey.txt
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.13 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJLvZIeAAoJEGwAj6ArCn4k6McP/3aXfb6WoWwJd4pq4lSgAw+y
tT2fZZr5SAEs4olNPLZMxxCn+qEwIHqWAwlHRYNMg+aj4/unReSfI93nXAAIk/yG
xjtMQoTZ6eKYnFr7BJY1AkwD2uDLJpTNO9TkdB3vjucO5bHOxG Ob+4aCgB0cysLd
ruz8q1e3FDDRwoZiJKU1/3DqMCcYNVLFbRu8Z8d6VEnPrfz9m0mjsnp6gzUPxdaJ
Ot9KSWzQpvmy3tdnZcVj6T4FNQK7IYJcaM4HAxbPYS35JBiGsT CMdTPmpkryxHml
Q9dhYf8B7pXfHgyIaQVRsREFmt/XraYyLgnkV5ysu8mMUFIxilm7sBGUg92gApC4
Cd8i6T2eIa+JGN1teCXAAHcZknkKUeR6llVCEKOLSw8RACF/iN/5457M71rRh0qe
oebSqjclPACmUOZerm25XE1T/B/biBRyoqC7hrj40PPOVbJgZqMi4P8/Ovbo1Ap7
O79b2Fm0ugaWgCdh3zy78ug13Td763K6N0WAnYJdsMpuzmXPo0 Q7S3f9kykdBaWW
ofD6CrOtlHbz4zygra17gJ+NzvMHrH7THnQAxv1tYZ1W5IK2Vc 8a4n15GXjLv1ZM
O/TZ8mqfAuaV5fbo1As/wU/v5uiccyhIuYJtRsYdDMvIcHL5SR9yJudNEHvyfBa5
MLplkiP6dLHKrZFa9svE
=iuKi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org