FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM
"H.S."
 
Default can I change the label of memory stick in a camera

Hello,

At present, in Ubuntu Hardy, if I connect a Sony Cybershot camera via
the USB cable, the camera is listed as "1.0 G Media" removable drive in
Places.

Can that label be changed to something more intuitive? For example "1.0
GB Memory Stick".

I think it can be done if a card reader is used. But the camera in
question and the computer do not have a card reader around.

Thanks.

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default can I change the label of memory stick in a camera

H.S. wrote:
> At present, in Ubuntu Hardy, if I connect a Sony Cybershot camera via
> the USB cable, the camera is listed as "1.0 G Media" removable drive in
> Places.
>
> Can that label be changed to something more intuitive? For example "1.0
> GB Memory Stick".

It should be possible with the instructions at [1]. But I don't know if
your camera will like it.


Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 AM
"H.S."
 
Default can I change the label of memory stick in a camera

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> At present, in Ubuntu Hardy, if I connect a Sony Cybershot camera via
>> the USB cable, the camera is listed as "1.0 G Media" removable drive in
>> Places.
>>
>> Can that label be changed to something more intuitive? For example "1.0
>> GB Memory Stick".
>
> It should be possible with the instructions at [1]. But I don't know if
> your camera will like it.
>
>
> Nils
>
> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive>
>

Thanks for the link, it solved the problem.

What I did was this:

1. I needed to install mtools package first. Then, to avoid a noisy
warning by mtools while dealing with labels of FAT partitions, I did:
$> echo mtools_skip_check=1 >> ~/.mtoolsrc

2. While the camera was connected via the USB cable (and while it was
powered on; some cameras power off after a few minutes of inactivity), I
found out its partition using the mount command:
$> mount

in my case, it was listed as:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1 001,utf8,umask=077,flush)

so the partition I was trying to relabel was /dev/sdc1.

2. Next, I was able to list the current label using the following command.
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 -s ::

3. Finally, to actually change the label, I used the command:
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB

where "MemStick1GB" was the label I wanted. I think you can have a
string here of at most 11 characters.

Note that if for some reason the attached camera powers off (maybe power
save option), and if you try to change the label, you will get an error
like this:
$> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB
Can't open /dev/sdc1: No such file or directory
Cannot initialize '::'
mlabel: Cannot initialize drive

After changing the label, unmount the camera volume (right click on the
camera device's icon), and then reconnect the camera. The icon now
should have the new label.

Regards.

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 AM
"H.S."
 
Default can I change the label of memory stick in a camera

H.S. wrote:
> Thanks for the link, it solved the problem.
>
> What I did was this:
>
> 1. I needed to install mtools package first. Then, to avoid a noisy
> warning by mtools while dealing with labels of FAT partitions, I did:
> $> echo mtools_skip_check=1 >> ~/.mtoolsrc
>
> 2. While the camera was connected via the USB cable (and while it was
> powered on; some cameras power off after a few minutes of inactivity), I
> found out its partition using the mount command:
> $> mount
>
> in my case, it was listed as:
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1 001,utf8,umask=077,flush)
>
> so the partition I was trying to relabel was /dev/sdc1.
>
> 2. Next, I was able to list the current label using the following command.
> $> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 -s ::
>
> 3. Finally, to actually change the label, I used the command:
> $> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB
>
> where "MemStick1GB" was the label I wanted. I think you can have a
> string here of at most 11 characters.
>
> Note that if for some reason the attached camera powers off (maybe power
> save option), and if you try to change the label, you will get an error
> like this:
> $> sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::MemStick1GB
> Can't open /dev/sdc1: No such file or directory
> Cannot initialize '::'
> mlabel: Cannot initialize drive
>
> After changing the label, unmount the camera volume (right click on the
> camera device's icon), and then reconnect the camera. The icon now
> should have the new label.
>
> Regards.
>

A couple of additional things I just noticed. I have this mp3 player
connected to my computer. When I gave the following command, notice that
it said there was no label and asked for a new one:
$> mlabel -i /dev/sda1 ::
Volume has no label
Enter the new volume label :

Typing a label after this changed the volume's label. BTW, the mp3
player is Samsung YP-C1 (plays ogg as well).

Also, I was able to set a label longer than 11 characters,
"SamsungMP3Player" in the above case. And the next time I gave the above
command, I got:
$> mlabel -i /dev/sda1 ::
Volume label is SamsungMP3Player (abbr=SAMSUNGMP3P)
Enter the new volume label :


So even though the label is truncated (abbreviated) to 11 characters
internally, yet when I connect the player to my desktop (running KDE),
the removable drive icon shows the full label.

Regards.

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org