Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
"Nicole O'Hara"

Default Install problems Ubuntu 8.10

I'm
trying to boot from a cd to install ubuntu 8.10 but when I do I get an error
that says bios does not support such OS I am using a MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2
AMD 790FX ATX AMD motherboard. Is it not supported? What can I do to install?

*

Thank you,

Nikki O'Hara

*

Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
"Nicole O'Hara"

Package:
installation-reports

¬*

Boot method: CD

Image version: http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso

Date: 12/16/08
8:30pm pacific time

¬*

Machine: Custom
built MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard running
vista 64 bit trying to do a dual boot

Processor:
AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
Processor

Memory:
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2
8500) Dual Channel 8gb

Partitions: 80gb
partition

¬*

Output of lspci -nn
and lspci -vnn:

¬*

Base System
Installation Checklist:

[O] = OK, [E] =
Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

¬*

Initial
boot:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* [E]

Detect network
card:¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Configure
network:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Detect
CD:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
[ ]

Load installer
modules: [ ]

Detect hard
drives:¬*¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Partition hard
drives:¬* [ ]

Install base
system:¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Clock/timezone
setup:¬*¬* [ ]

User/password
setup:¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Install
tasks:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Install boot
loader:¬*¬*¬* [ ]

Overall
install:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* [ ]

¬*

Comments/Problems:initial
boot off the cd gave me this error… bios
does not support such OS

¬*

¬*

¬*

Thank
you,

Nikki
O'Hara

Help
Desk Technician

Biagi
Bros., Inc.

(707)256-2616

nohara@biagibros.com

¬*

Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nicole O'Hara wrote:
> I'm trying to boot from a cd to install ubuntu 8.10 but when I do I get
> an error that says bios does not support such OS I am using a MSI K9A2
> Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD motherboard. Is it not supported?
> What can I do to install?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Nikki O'Hara

A BIOS problem means it does not have boot from a CD-Rom before boot
the main disk in BIOS. Please check that.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User