Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
"Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct."

Default Gutsy 7.10 - A mind of it's own.

For several days now my Resource Usage Monitor has been busy even when
there is supposed to be nothing running. So I did a "ps -A" and looked
for a process that might be the cause. It turns out that my Gutsy
7.10 was doing some kind of unattended upgrade -- the first time I have
ever seen this happen. I checked the man files as well as the Ubuntu
Community Documentation and found "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
linux-rt" but nothing about what set this process into motion in the
first place. In the effort of finding this situation I did "sudo kill -9
process-number" (where process-number represents the actual process
number). The process took a while to wind down which I thought was
strange. By this time I was beginning to worry about the state in which
I had left the system. For example, what happened after the kill
command? Can I resume the process? What was upgrade actually doing;
apps. or apps plus kernel, just somethings or everything? If the process
was repeated either from where it left off or from the beginning what
happens to my system which pretty well runs 7-24 until it crashes or
goes weird. Does it alert me in some way or what?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Thanks -- Ted

Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 AM
NoOp

On 12/20/2008 12:47 PM, Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
> For several days now my Resource Usage Monitor has been busy even when
> there is supposed to be nothing running. So I did a "ps -A" and looked
> for a process that might be the cause. It turns out that my Gutsy
> 7.10 was doing some kind of unattended upgrade -- the first time I have
> ever seen this happen. I checked the man files as well as the Ubuntu
> Community Documentation and found "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
> linux-rt" but nothing about what set this process into motion in the
> first place. In the effort of finding this situation I did "sudo kill -9
> process-number" (where process-number represents the actual process
> number). The process took a while to wind down which I thought was
> strange. By this time I was beginning to worry about the state in which
> I had left the system. For example, what happened after the kill
> command? Can I resume the process? What was upgrade actually doing;
> apps. or apps plus kernel, just somethings or everything? If the process
> was repeated either from where it left off or from the beginning what
> happens to my system which pretty well runs 7-24 until it crashes or
> goes weird. Does it alert me in some way or what?
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>
> Thanks -- Ted

Have you checked Synaptic to see if you have security update set to auto?

In Synaptic: Settings|Repositories|Updates|"Install security updates
without confirmation" or "Download all updates in the background"?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Rashkae

Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
> For several days now my Resource Usage Monitor has been busy even when
> there is supposed to be nothing running. So I did a "ps -A" and looked
> for a process that might be the cause. It turns out that my Gutsy
> 7.10 was doing some kind of unattended upgrade -- the first time I have
> ever seen this happen. I checked the man files as well as the Ubuntu
> Community Documentation and found "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
> linux-rt" but nothing about what set this process into motion in the
> first place. In the effort of finding this situation I did "sudo kill -9
> process-number" (where process-number represents the actual process
> number). The process took a while to wind down which I thought was
> strange. By this time I was beginning to worry about the state in which
> I had left the system. For example, what happened after the kill
> command? Can I resume the process? What was upgrade actually doing;
> apps. or apps plus kernel, just somethings or everything? If the process
> was repeated either from where it left off or from the beginning what
> happens to my system which pretty well runs 7-24 until it crashes or
> goes weird. Does it alert me in some way or what?
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>
> Thanks -- Ted

For future reference, never use -9 signal unless as a last resort.
Although I can't say what state killing an apt install process will
leave your system, it's certain that whatever safety net the process
might include to handle a Term signal will not take place if you force
the issue with -9

Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Ted Hilts

Rashkae wrote:
> Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
>
>> For several days now my Resource Usage Monitor has been busy even when
>> there is supposed to be nothing running. So I did a "ps -A" and looked
>> for a process that might be the cause. It turns out that my Gutsy
>> 7.10 was doing some kind of unattended upgrade -- the first time I have
>> ever seen this happen. I checked the man files as well as the Ubuntu
>> Community Documentation and found "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
>> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
>> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
>> linux-rt" but nothing about what set this process into motion in the
>> first place. In the effort of finding this situation I did "sudo kill -9
>> process-number" (where process-number represents the actual process
>> number). The process took a while to wind down which I thought was
>> strange. By this time I was beginning to worry about the state in which
>> I had left the system. For example, what happened after the kill
>> command? Can I resume the process? What was upgrade actually doing;
>> apps. or apps plus kernel, just somethings or everything? If the process
>> was repeated either from where it left off or from the beginning what
>> happens to my system which pretty well runs 7-24 until it crashes or
>> goes weird. Does it alert me in some way or what?
>>
>> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks -- Ted
>>

> For future reference, never use -9 signal unless as a last resort.
> Although I can't say what state killing an apt install process will
> leave your system, it's certain that whatever safety net the process
> might include to handle a Term signal will not take place if you force
> the issue with -9

Okay, I appreciate your warning about "kill -9 ..." but what should I
have done to stop the "apt" process or any other process as far as that
goes? There are many reasons why it may be necessary to stop a process.
I obviously don't know the best way. For just one example, when using
FireFox web browser to capture web pages I have seen it hang Ubuntu
because of some conflict with a media player that is not responding or
does not exist. Sometimes I have had to crash Ubuntu because of these
sorts of things but most of the time I can use the command line in
another desktop window to kill the FireFox web browser as the system
quickly slows into a hung mode. However, I would appreciate some good
advice on this subject of dealing with these kinds of problems. There
has to be a better way to break a hung system (non responsive) other
than crashing that system.
I have tried to deal with such hangs by using another machine to
remotely access the non responsive machine. Connection is slow but
eventually I can access the non responsive machine. However, the
commands I give the non responsive machine by this means are disregarded
I think because the "sudo" command cannot be passed by this means.

Also, given what I said above what upgrades will occur if I use the
command line

"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
linux-rt" and will the servers and/or kernel be changed???

Thanks -- Ted

Old 12-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Rashkae

Ted Hilts wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct. wrote:
>>
>>> For several days now my Resource Usage Monitor has been busy even when
>>> there is supposed to be nothing running. So I did a "ps -A" and looked
>>> for a process that might be the cause. It turns out that my Gutsy
>>> 7.10 was doing some kind of unattended upgrade -- the first time I have
>>> ever seen this happen. I checked the man files as well as the Ubuntu
>>> Community Documentation and found "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
>>> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
>>> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
>>> linux-rt" but nothing about what set this process into motion in the
>>> first place. In the effort of finding this situation I did "sudo kill -9
>>> process-number" (where process-number represents the actual process
>>> number). The process took a while to wind down which I thought was
>>> strange. By this time I was beginning to worry about the state in which
>>> I had left the system. For example, what happened after the kill
>>> command? Can I resume the process? What was upgrade actually doing;
>>> apps. or apps plus kernel, just somethings or everything? If the process
>>> was repeated either from where it left off or from the beginning what
>>> happens to my system which pretty well runs 7-24 until it crashes or
>>> goes weird. Does it alert me in some way or what?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks -- Ted
>>>

>> For future reference, never use -9 signal unless as a last resort.
>> Although I can't say what state killing an apt install process will
>> leave your system, it's certain that whatever safety net the process
>> might include to handle a Term signal will not take place if you force
>> the issue with -9
>>

> Okay, I appreciate your warning about "kill -9 ..." but what should I
> have done to stop the "apt" process or any other process as far as that
> goes? There are many reasons why it may be necessary to stop a process.
> I obviously don't know the best way. For just one example, when using
> FireFox web browser to capture web pages I have seen it hang Ubuntu
> because of some conflict with a media player that is not responding or
> does not exist.

Not sure about your firefox problem.. That in itself is an anomaly and
not business as usual. I have seen something similar on my Gutsy system
with the Gnash open source Flash player.. It would start filling all
ram (which starts filling swap, causing the system to be unresponsive)
and would continue until the system finally ran out and the Out of
Memory heuristics killed it.

As for killing a process, use the kill command (without the -9). That
sends a Term signal by default, which means the process itself is
supposed intercept the signal and exit.

It does happen that sometimes a very misbehaving app will not respond to
the term signal and you need end it with a -9. However, you should save
that as a last resort for already broken apps.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
NoOp

On 12/21/2008 12:03 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:

> Also, given what I said above what upgrades will occur if I use the
> command line
>
> "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
> linux-rt" and will the servers and/or kernel be changed???
>
> Thanks -- Ted

You can easily find out (without installing anything) by using the '-s'
(simulate) switch in apt-get. So the following will 'simulate' an
install and show you exactly what would get installed:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -s ubuntustudio-desktop
ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

Note the 'install -s' part. Above is, of course, all one line.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Ted Hilts

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/21/2008 12:03 AM, Ted Hilts wrote:
>

>> Also, given what I said above what upgrades will occur if I use the
>> command line
>>
>> "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
>> install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio
>> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video
>> linux-rt" and will the servers and/or kernel be changed???
>>
>> Thanks -- Ted
>>

> You can easily find out (without installing anything) by using the '-s'
> (simulate) switch in apt-get. So the following will 'simulate' an
> install and show you exactly what would get installed:
>
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -s ubuntustudio-desktop
> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
> ubuntustudio-video linux-rt
>
> Note the 'install -s' part. Above is, of course, all one line.

Thanks a lot to both of you (NoOp and Rashkae) for your advice which I
will take.

Thanks -- Ted