Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Charlie Brune

Default Is there a way to disable the beep on Shut Down?

Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
laptop emits a loud beep.

Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.

I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
"Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.

Thanks,
Charlie
St. Louis, MO.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 20 December 2008 19:57, Charlie Brune wrote:
> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
> laptop emits a loud beep.
>
> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>
> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie
> St. Louis, MO.

Hi Charlie.

Try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

install pcspkr /bin/true

That should send the pcspkr module to never never land.

Try it, and please post back if it works.

Best wishes.

Nigel.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2008 19:57, Charlie Brune wrote:
>> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
>> laptop emits a loud beep.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
>> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>>
>> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
>> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Charlie
>> St. Louis, MO.
>
> Hi Charlie.
>
> Try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
>
> install pcspkr /bin/true
>
> That should send the pcspkr module to never never land.
>
> Try it, and please post back if it works.

Or blacklist pcspkr in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist - I think either way
should work...

Chris

Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
NoOp

On 12/20/2008 10:57 AM, Charlie Brune wrote:
> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
> laptop emits a loud beep.
>
> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>
> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.

One tab to the right: System Beep

Disable & see if that works.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Charlie Brune

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2008 19:57, Charlie Brune wrote:
>
>> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
>> laptop emits a loud beep.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
>> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>>
>> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
>> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Charlie
>> St. Louis, MO.
>>

> Hi Charlie.
>
> Try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
>
> install pcspkr /bin/true
>
> That should send the pcspkr module to never never land.
>
> Try it, and please post back if it works.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Nigel.

Thanks! That did the trick.
No more beeping on shut down and other sounds/audio appear to still be
working normally.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Charlie Brune

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/20/2008 10:57 AM, Charlie Brune wrote:
>
>> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
>> laptop emits a loud beep.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
>> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>>
>> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
>> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.
>>

> One tab to the right: System Beep
>
> Disable & see if that works.

I don't have a "System Beep" tab. I just have two: "Devices" and "Sounds".

I wish I did have it. If I did, that would likely be a more
straightforward solution.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 AM
NoOp

On 12/20/2008 08:21 PM, Charlie Brune wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/20/2008 10:57 AM, Charlie Brune wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
>>> laptop emits a loud beep.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
>>> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.
>>>
>>> I've already gone to the "Sound Preferences" screen and de-selected the
>>> "Play Alerts and Sound Effects" option. That doesn't stop this beep.
>>>

>> One tab to the right: System Beep
>>
>> Disable & see if that works.
>>

> I don't have a "System Beep" tab. I just have two: "Devices" and "Sounds".
>
> I wish I did have it. If I did, that would likely be a more
> straightforward solution.
>
> Regards,
> Charlie

On Hardy there is that option; I don't know if it would have resolved
your issue, the option is there. Perhaps in the future you could state
which flavour of Ubuntu you are inquiring about - that would save some
effort on folks that are trying to assist.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Charlie Brune

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/20/2008 08:21 PM, Charlie Brune wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> One tab to the right: System Beep
>>>
>>> Disable & see if that works.
>>>

>> I don't have a "System Beep" tab. I just have two: "Devices" and "Sounds".
>>
>> I wish I did have it. If I did, that would likely be a more
>> straightforward solution.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Charlie
>>

> On Hardy there is that option; I don't know if it would have resolved
> your issue, the option is there. Perhaps in the future you could state
> which flavour of Ubuntu you are inquiring about - that would save some
> effort on folks that are trying to assist.

Excellent point. My apologies.

I'm running 8.10 (Ibex).

Charlie

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM
"H.S."

Charlie Brune wrote:
> Whenever I select the "Shut Down" menu option to turn my laptop off, my
> laptop emits a loud beep.
>
> Is there a way to keep the beep from happening? It's pretty loud and
> tends to wake up anyone near me who's sleeping.

Not sure about a gui method, but via command line:
To switch if off:
$> xset b off

To reset it to default settings
$> xset b on

To change the volume, pitch and duration, read the man page
$> man xset

I usually try to lower the frequency and the volume and keep the
duration short so that only I am able to hear the beep. For my hardware,
this works:
$> xset b 30 60 30

Regards.

ever having been read.