FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
squareyes
 
Default Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095 driver install problem

Hi all,
just acquired a Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095.
It came with cd including a driver (.deb) for Linux (conexant) and a .tar
Tried to install .deb as per instructions, I get as below. I have build
essentials installed.

squareyes@here:~$ sudo dpkg -i dgcmodem_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 113953 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dgcmodem 1.01 (using dgcmodem_i386.deb) ...

************************************************** **********************
*
* The update-modules command is deprecated and should not be used!
*
************************************************** **********************

Unpacking replacement dgcmodem ...
Setting up dgcmodem (1.01) ...
Conexant DGC USB modem driver, version 1.01

If you need assistance or more information, please go to:
http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "dgcconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Ubuntu-8.04 linux-2.6.24-16-generic i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build]

Building modules for kernel 2.6.24-16-generic, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build. Please wait...

ERROR: Module build failed!
Please examine the log file "/tmp/dgcconfig-buildlog.txt" to determine why.

I get the same when I try to install with tar file

tmp/dgcconfig-buildlog.txt is as below.

(cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build && make
"CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build"
"M=/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules" "CC=gcc" clean)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd
.tmp_versions .tmp_versions
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build/.tmp_versions/dgcusbdcp.mod
Modules.symvers GPL/hda/Modules.symvers
(cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build && make
"CNXT_KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build"
"M=/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules" "CC=gcc" modules)
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in
"/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2

There isn't much I understand re the above file, any help most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Take Care
Winton



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095 driver install problem

squareyes wrote:

> Hi all,
> just acquired a Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095.
> It came with cd including a driver (.deb) for Linux (conexant) and a
> .tar Tried to install .deb as per instructions, I get as below. I have
> build essentials installed.
...
> * The update-modules command is deprecated and should not be used!

I hate that. It _says_ deprecated - we're all adults here and should be
capable of understanding that that implies "should not be used"...

> No pre-built modules for: Ubuntu-8.04 linux-2.6.24-16-generic i686-SMP
>
> Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
> (this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

You might try installing dkms - no idea if _this_ package could take
advantage of it, but some packages have an easier time compiling drivers
when it's present, so it might help here.

> tmp/dgcconfig-buildlog.txt is as below.
...
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
> scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in
> "/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS.

So if dkms doesn't help, try changing CFLAGS to EXTRA_CFLAGS in
makefile.build, like it says...
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM
squareyes
 
Default Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095 driver install problem

Derek Broughton wrote:
> squareyes wrote:
>
>
>> Hi all,
>> just acquired a Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095.
>> It came with cd including a driver (.deb) for Linux (conexant) and a
>> .tar Tried to install .deb as per instructions, I get as below. I have
>> build essentials installed.
>>
> You might try installing dkms - no idea if _this_ package could take
> advantage of it, but some packages have an easier time compiling drivers
> when it's present, so it might help here.
>
>
Hi Derek,
installed dkms, same result.
>
> So if dkms doesn't help, try changing CFLAGS to EXTRA_CFLAGS in
> makefile.build, like it says...
>
Below is part of makefile.build,
I don't really understand it, to me it appears to be already using
EXTRA_CFLAGS. If not just which line do I change ?
Sorry but I have a lot of learning to do.
To everyone of all persuasions, have a safe and peaceful holiday season.
Many thanks
Winton

src := $(obj)

PHONY := __build
__build:

# Init all relevant variables used in kbuild files so
# 1) they have correct type
# 2) they do not inherit any value from the environment
obj-y :=
obj-m :=
lib-y :=
lib-m :=
always :=
targets :=
subdir-y :=
subdir-m :=
EXTRA_AFLAGS :=
EXTRA_CFLAGS :=
EXTRA_CPPFLAGS :=
EXTRA_LDFLAGS :=
asflags-y :=
ccflags-y :=
cppflags-y :=
ldflags-y :=


# For backward compatibility check that these variables does not change
save-cflags := $(CFLAGS)

# The filename Kbuild has precedence over Makefile
kbuild-dir := $(if $(filter /%,$(src)),$(src),$(srctree)/$(src))
kbuild-file := $(if $(wildcard
$(kbuild-dir)/Kbuild),$(kbuild-dir)/Kbuild,$(kbuild-dir)/Makefile)
include $(kbuild-file)

# If the save-* variables changed error out
ifeq ($(KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC),)
ifneq ("$(save-cflags)","$(CFLAGS)")
$(error CFLAGS was changed in "$(kbuild-file)". Fix it
to use EXTRA_CFLAGS)
endif
endif
include scripts/Makefile.lib

ifdef host-progs





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095 driver install problem

squareyes wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> squareyes wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> just acquired a Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095.
>>> It came with cd including a driver (.deb) for Linux (conexant) and
>>> a .tar Tried to install .deb as per instructions, I get as below. I
>>> have build essentials installed.

>> So if dkms doesn't help, try changing CFLAGS to EXTRA_CFLAGS in
>> makefile.build, like it says...
>>
> Below is part of makefile.build,

Sorry, my bad - the file it referred to was:
/usr/lib/dgcmodem/modules/Makefile

Have you checked out the Zoom support page? The latest driver is
probably newer than the one you got, (2008/10/20) and claims to have a
.deb package

http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/dial_up/3095F.shtml
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 AM
squareyes
 
Default Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095 driver install problem

Derek Broughton wrote:
> squareyes wrote:
>
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>>> squareyes wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>> just acquired a Zoom mini usb dial up modem model 3095.
>>>> It came with cd including a driver (.deb) for Linux (conexant) and
>>>> a .tar Tried to install .deb as per instructions, I get as below. I
>>>> have build essentials installed.
>>>>
>
>
>
>
> Have you checked out the Zoom support page? The latest driver is
> probably newer than the one you got, (2008/10/20) and claims to have a
> .deb package
>
> http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/dial_up/3095F.shtml
>
Hi Derek,
many thanks, now have it working, Linuxant site has a driver for this modem,

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php

dgcmodem_1.09_2.6.24_16_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zi p

Again many thanks,
Take Care
Winton


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org