Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 AM
"H.S."

Default cannot play youtube videos full screen mode in Intrepid

Hello,

If I try to play youtube videos in full screen mode in Intrepid, the
videos shows in full screen mode for an instant and then reverts back to
the usual web page mode. I do appear to be able to make it play in full
screen mode at all. Anybody else having this problem? I have:
ii flashplayer-mozilla 1:10.0.12.36-0.2 Macromedia Flash Player
ii mozilla-firefox-adblock 0.5.3.043-5 AdBlock extension for the
Iceweasel and Icea

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I try to play youtube videos in full screen mode in Intrepid, the
> videos shows in full screen mode for an instant and then reverts back to
> the usual web page mode. I do appear to be able to make it play in full
> screen mode at all. Anybody else having this problem? I have:
> ii flashplayer-mozilla 1:10.0.12.36-0.2 Macromedia Flash Player
> ii mozilla-firefox-adblock 0.5.3.043-5 AdBlock extension for the
> Iceweasel and Icea
>

> Thanks.
> --

Me too!
I think this depends on your video driver and video memory. On the
Nvidia video cards I have, this has been a problem. I believe it is a
function of your video RAM and the video driver and the flash player
panics and reverts to the small size.

Here's a weird tidbit I've not been able to understand. If you use
DownloadHelper (a mozilla addon you can get from
http://www.downloadhelper.net/) to save a flash file on your hard
disk, then you can view that same swf file with another movie player,
such as mplayer. In mplayer, guess what: you can his the f key and
see it full screen. So, obviously, the problem is not inherent in the
flash file itself or your video card, but in the interaction between
the video card, the X11 server, firefox, and the flashplayer.

Good luck figuring that out with the closed-source flashplayer.

I did not try to reconfigure firefox with the mplayer plugin to
display flash movies. I guess that would be the ultimate test...

Write back if you find good ideas about this.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science