-   -   Long boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/214920-long-boot.html)

H.S.Rai 12-19-2008 01:54 PM

Long boot

My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB, swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
MHz, Ubuntu 8.10 updated ) takes long time (about 04 minutes):

Grub prompt 00.0
Configuring network: start:- 26 sec End:- 1 min 37 sec (wait for 1 min
11 sec) ***
Welcome audio music: 2 min 25 sec
On getting GUI click on icon of console: 2 min 41 sec
Appearance of console window: 3 min 41 sec
Appearance of prompt in console window: 3 min 50 sec

Can I make network configuring in background?

or is there any other way to make boot time less?

--
H.S.Rai

John Hubbard 12-19-2008 02:06 PM

Long boot

H.S.Rai wrote:
> My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB, swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
> MHz, Ubuntu 8.10 updated ) takes long time (about 04 minutes):
>
> Grub prompt 00.0
> Configuring network: start:- 26 sec End:- 1 min 37 sec (wait for 1 min
> 11 sec) ***
> Welcome audio music: 2 min 25 sec
> On getting GUI click on icon of console: 2 min 41 sec
> Appearance of console window: 3 min 41 sec
> Appearance of prompt in console window: 3 min 50 sec
>
> Can I make network configuring in background?
>
> or is there any other way to make boot time less?

If you set up a static IP address it might make boot up a little faster.
Can you install 'bootchart'? It will provide a better look at why boot
is so slow. It shows whether there is disk io hold ups, or cpu hold ups,
or some program is sleeping for a little while. Also look at stopping
some services that you don't need, as that will help improve boot time.
If it isn't installed by default readahead might help. If you have
specific questions about any of these let me know and I will try to help.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

NoOp 12-19-2008 06:00 PM

Long boot

On 12/19/2008 06:54 AM, H.S.Rai wrote:
> My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB, swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
> MHz, Ubuntu 8.10 updated ) takes long time (about 04 minutes):
>
> Grub prompt 00.0
> Configuring network: start:- 26 sec End:- 1 min 37 sec (wait for 1 min
> 11 sec) ***
> Welcome audio music: 2 min 25 sec
> On getting GUI click on icon of console: 2 min 41 sec
> Appearance of console window: 3 min 41 sec
> Appearance of prompt in console window: 3 min 50 sec
>
> Can I make network configuring in background?
>
> or is there any other way to make boot time less?

Possibly. Please post the first 5 lines of:

cat /etc/hosts

Brendan 12-19-2008 06:06 PM

Long boot

It might be because the GRUB Boot loader isn't installed correctly

H.S.Rai 12-19-2008 11:18 PM

Long boot

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> H.S.Rai wrote:
>> My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB, swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
>> MHz,

CPU T1350@1860MHz

<snip>
> If you set up a static IP address it might make boot up a little faster.

On same laptop, window XP Professional with DHCP boots in 46 secs. To
install and boot in MSWINXP I had to disable SATA native support.

Now I have enabled for boot of Linux, but boot time is same.

Since MSwindow boot normally, so I assume H/W is fine.

Normal working is also slow. Firefox, OO windows dimmed too frequenty
and I have to wait to get response. Most of time HDD's activities make
be believe that I am working on PC-XT m/c.

First time felt is while upgrading Ubuntu (otherwise I believed
moderen application may be heavier for my laptop)

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e46836620810310945p14bcdcdai 7468681f3702be79%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=linux-india-help

It took 8 hours after downloading of packages.

Now load average for 1, 5, 15 minutes is 3.72, 4.11, 3.28

> Can you install 'bootchart'?

Here is output:

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656923430016034

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656938938897634

> Also look at stopping
> some services that you don't need, as that will help improve boot time.
> If it isn't installed by default readahead might help

It is installed. But It is there with default setting, as I was not aware of it.

Thanks of your reply.

--
H.S.Rai

H.S.Rai 12-19-2008 11:20 PM

Long boot

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Possibly. Please post the first 5 lines of:
> cat /etc/hosts

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost mapserverdemo
127.0.1.1 hce.XSG hce

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
hsrai@hce:~$

--
H.S.Rai

NoOp 12-19-2008 11:51 PM

Long boot

On 12/19/2008 04:20 PM, H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly. Please post the first 5 lines of:
>> cat /etc/hosts
>
> $ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost mapserverdemo
> 127.0.1.1 hce.XSG hce

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
> hsrai@hce:~$

Make a backup of your /etc/hosts, and then change:

127.0.0.1 localhost mapserverdemo
127.0.1.1 hce.XSG hce

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 hce

And reboot. See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't you can always
easily change it back.

"Anthony M. Rasat" 12-20-2008 01:33 AM

Long boot

H S Rai wrote:
>My laptop (Compaq Prsario V3000, RAM 512 MB,
>swap 1480 MB, CPU 800
MHz, Ubuntu 8.10
>updated ) takes long time (about 04 minutes)

I have Compaq Presario V3660TU (V3000 series) but with Core 2 Duo 1.5GHz. Mine is booting under 60 seconds for several (possible) asumption:

1) RAM. I added extra 1GB RAM chip to original 512MB RAM. Speed was enermously improving since. In here, 1 GB DDR2 RAM cost me around USD 30.
2) Filesystem. I chose ReiserFS or JFS instead of ext3. I saw that some improvement on boot speed from this filesystem choice alone.
3) Have you tried compcache? Google it, for it will be too long for me to explain it here. Improvement could vary.
4) Do you really need everything? I usually untick tracker, update notifier (I usually always remember to manually update my laptop, thank you) from Session and remove lp kernel module from /etc/modules.
5) Do you know what preload is? Like compcache I think you better search for explaination yourself.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

H.S.Rai 12-20-2008 02:15 AM

Long boot

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:21 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/19/2008 04:20 PM, H.S.Rai wrote:
>
> Make a backup of your /etc/hosts, and then change:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost mapserverdemo
> 127.0.1.1 hce.XSG hce

> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 hce

Same result. No luck.

Thanks for your input.

--
H.S.Rai

John Hubbard 12-20-2008 04:43 AM

Long boot

H.S.Rai wrote:
> I had to disable SATA native support.

Why did you have to disable SATA support? I have a machine that I game
on and it supports SATA without problems. It doesn't sound like SATA is
your problem thought (read below).
> Normal working is also slow. Firefox, OO windows dimmed too frequenty
> and I have to wait to get response. Most of time HDD's activities make
> be believe that I am working on PC-XT m/c.

Are you running out of RAM and swapping to disk? This could cause
problems slowdown...
> Now load average for 1, 5, 15 minutes is 3.72, 4.11, 3.28

This seems really high. What is running and taking up all of you cpu
time? I had a problem with my machine at work and it turned out that the
machine frantically swapping memory out.

>> Can you install 'bootchart'?
>>

> Here is output:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656923430016034
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656938938897634

Thanks for posting those but unfortunately I could not quite make those
out. (Resolution was too low). If you look at the graphs you can see
that everything stops for a while (i.e. no disk IO and no cpu
utilization). What was 'running' while nothing was happening? Can you
mail me one off list the pictures (ender8282@yahoo.com)? I don't think
it matters which one just so I can read the text.
> It is installed. But It is there with default setting, as I was not aware of it.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will correct me on this if I am
wrong but... I believe that you have to boot once with the flag
'profile' attached to your kernel options. Profiling creates a list of
the files needed to boot so that the machine can fetch the files before
it needs them. Since fetching files is 'slow' it is better to have them
cached and waiting. I assume that if you never profile your boot then
the readahead list is empty and in a fraction of a millisecond your
machine finishes running it and moves on to the next step in the boot
sequence. I am not sure on this though. Maybe readahead is smarter than
I am (many things are).

Even though I couldn't make out everything on the bootchart it is claer
that you are not waiting on disk IO or on the CPU so there is something
else wrong.