Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 AM
H.S.Rai

Default Long boot

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why did you have to disable SATA support?

I could't install MSwinXP with support enabled, even I cannot boot
M$winXP. However, I has have enabled support now, as I hardly use M$.

>> Now load average for 1, 5, 15 minutes is 3.72, 4.11, 3.28
>>
> This seems really high. What is running and taking up all of you cpu
> time?

Is there any way to find resource hungry programmes, so that I can disable them.

>> http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656938938897634
>>
> Thanks for posting those but unfortunately I could not quite make those
> out. (Resolution was too low).

Sorry, I presume Google permit full resolution. You can pick charts from:

http://gndec.ac.in/~hsrai/tmp/boot/

Thanks for your help.

--
H.S.Rai

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 PM
H.S.Rai

Following information may be help to find out reason of poor performance.

iostat
Linux 2.6.27-9-generic (hce) Saturday 20 December 2008 _i686_

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
19.95 0.05 6.24 41.75 0.00 32.01

Device: tps Blk_read/s Blk_wrtn/s Blk_read Blk_wrtn
sda 78.64 1013.56 1926.66 19854727 37741344
sda1 0.00 0.12 0.00 2428 0
sda2 0.00 0.02 0.00 489 0
sda3 0.00 0.00 0.00 6 0
sda5 6.16 112.36 69.24 2201098 1356376
sda6 61.43 595.25 1844.15 11660348 36125120
sda7 11.04 305.79 13.26 5990046 259848

--
H.S.Rai

Old 12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
John Hubbard

H.S.Rai wrote:
>>> Now load average for 1, 5, 15 minutes is 3.72, 4.11, 3.28
>>>

>> This seems really high. What is running and taking up all of you cpu
>> time?
>>

> Is there any way to find resource hungry programmes, so that I can disable them.

If you open a terminal and type 'top' it will show you the load averages
and what programs are using how much of your cpu time.

>>> http://picasaweb.google.co.in/hardeep.rai/SOSM#5281656938938897634
>>>

>> Thanks for posting those but unfortunately I could not quite make those
>> out. (Resolution was too low).
>>

> Sorry, I presume Google permit full resolution. You can pick charts from:
>
> http://gndec.ac.in/~hsrai/tmp/boot/

It looks like the DHCP script is taking almost 70 seconds to run. Try
running 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' from a terminal and timing
how long that takes. If it takes 70 seconds you have tracked down your
problem. If it is faster then it will take a little longer to figure out
what is up.
A simple workaround would be to set your computer to a static IP address.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.