FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Chris G
 
Default Mutt not seeing new mail at all

I'm running mutt 1.5.18 in ubuntu 8.10 and it's not seeing new mail at
all. That is the status line is not reporting new mail when it arrives
and 'c' doesn't move me to folders with new mail in them.

My muttrc file is one I have transferred (with necessary changes) from
another mutt installation where mutt is working perfectly OK,
detecting new mail etc.

I've never had this problem before with mutt on a variety of platforms
(slackware, fedora, bsd, solaris) and I can't see anything obvious
wrong.

Should mutt work correctly with mbox mailbox files on Ubuntu or has
Ubuntu done something wierd that stops it working?

--
Chris Green


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Mutt not seeing new mail at all

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:47:01PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I'm running mutt 1.5.18 in ubuntu 8.10 and it's not seeing new mail at
> all. That is the status line is not reporting new mail when it arrives
> and 'c' doesn't move me to folders with new mail in them.
>
> I've never had this problem before with mutt on a variety of platforms
> (slackware, fedora, bsd, solaris) and I can't see anything obvious
> wrong.
>
> Should mutt work correctly with mbox mailbox files on Ubuntu or has
> Ubuntu done something wierd that stops it working?

This can be explained if you store your folders in mbox format on a
filesystem what's mounted with 'noatime'.

You can check by typing 'mount' in a terminal, or by looking in
/etc/fstab.

To get mutt to notice new mail, you'll either have to switch to maildir
format, or change the mount options to 'relatime' instead of 'noatime'.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets a little crowded.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Chris G
 
Default Mutt not seeing new mail at all

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 07:20:58PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:47:01PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > I'm running mutt 1.5.18 in ubuntu 8.10 and it's not seeing new mail at
> > all. That is the status line is not reporting new mail when it arrives
> > and 'c' doesn't move me to folders with new mail in them.
> >
> > I've never had this problem before with mutt on a variety of platforms
> > (slackware, fedora, bsd, solaris) and I can't see anything obvious
> > wrong.
> >
> > Should mutt work correctly with mbox mailbox files on Ubuntu or has
> > Ubuntu done something wierd that stops it working?
>
> This can be explained if you store your folders in mbox format on a
> filesystem what's mounted with 'noatime'.
>
> You can check by typing 'mount' in a terminal, or by looking in
> /etc/fstab.
>
> To get mutt to notice new mail, you'll either have to switch to maildir
> format, or change the mount options to 'relatime' instead of 'noatime'.
>
No, that's not it:-

/dev/sdb1 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Hal Burgiss
 
Default Mutt not seeing new mail at all

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:47:01PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
>
> Should mutt work correctly with mbox mailbox files on Ubuntu or has
> Ubuntu done something wierd that stops it working?

Works fine for me with mbox on 8.04. Where is your new mail?
/var/mail/$user ? Thats where mine is.

Do you do anything with procmail? Like something in .procmailrc to
custom filter mail? A while back I noticed that Ubuntu did not use
procmail by default to deliver (my preference). Maybe this was 7.04
era. I put a .forward file in $HOME with this in:

"|exec /usr/bin/procmail"

That's the only difference I've seen over other Linuxes that I've used
(Red Hat based stuff mostly). I know this is probably not the answer,
but its the only difference I've seen.

--
Hal


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Mutt not seeing new mail at all

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 05:52:41PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 07:20:58PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:47:01PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > > I'm running mutt 1.5.18 in ubuntu 8.10 and it's not seeing new mail at
> > > all. That is the status line is not reporting new mail when it arrives
> > > and 'c' doesn't move me to folders with new mail in them.
> > >
> > > I've never had this problem before with mutt on a variety of platforms
> > > (slackware, fedora, bsd, solaris) and I can't see anything obvious
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > Should mutt work correctly with mbox mailbox files on Ubuntu or has
> > > Ubuntu done something wierd that stops it working?
> >
> > This can be explained if you store your folders in mbox format on a
> > filesystem what's mounted with 'noatime'.
> >
> > You can check by typing 'mount' in a terminal, or by looking in
> > /etc/fstab.
> >
> > To get mutt to notice new mail, you'll either have to switch to maildir
> > format, or change the mount options to 'relatime' instead of 'noatime'.
> >
> No, that's not it:-
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)

Hm. I might be wrong about relatime allowing Mutt to notice new mail.
I'm pretty sure I read about it; but I switched to Maildirs a few years
back when 'relatime' didn't exist.

Does it work if you remount /home with -o atime?

Marius Gedminas
--
Where do you think you're going today?
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org