Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Default character encodings (was dmesg question

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lo=EFc_Greni=E9?= wrote:

> 2008/12/19 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Derek Broughton
>> <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>> Evuraan::ഏവൂരാന്* wrote:
>>>
>>> (some pretty odd encoding, there...)
>>
>> Looks fine in Gmail - kinda cool cursive script that I'm guessing is
>> right to left...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam_language
>
> As far as I can tell it's written left to right (look the first
> letter for
> malayalam in the first paragraph and the list of consonants further
> down).

I'm pretty good at most things computerish, but I have to admit
encodings have me mostly stumped. I'm particularly surprised that while
the original post from Evuraan showed all sorts of "=?UTF-8..."
encodings, the responses from the people who could read it all provide
it an encoding that allows _me_ to read it.

otoh, _your_ post gets quoted as from "=?ISO-8859-1...", and I bet when
I see my own response, it'll make sense too - so maybe it's just a bug
in KNode.
--
derek

Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Markus Schnhaber

Derek Broughton:

> I'm pretty good at most things computerish, but I have to admit
> encodings have me mostly stumped. I'm particularly surprised that while
> the original post from Evuraan showed all sorts of "=?UTF-8..."
> encodings, the responses from the people who could read it all provide
> it an encoding that allows _me_ to read it.

There is not much magic in here.
In mail headers only US-ACSII is allowed. If you want to use characters
not in US-ASCII in, say, the From header field (which is the only part
of the OP where non-ASCII characters were used), you'll have to use a
representation that only uses US-ASCII. RFC 2047 defines a way to do that.
While your client was obviously unable to parse a RFC 2047 conformant
header field, in the responses to the OP the non-ASCII characters were
quoted in the *body* - where the encoding is an entirely different
matter, which your client seems to be able to handle.

> otoh, _your_ post gets quoted as from "=?ISO-8859-1...", and I bet when
> I see my own response, it'll make sense too - so maybe it's just a bug
> in KNode.

Probably.

Regards
mks

Old 12-20-2008, 08:59 AM
"Loc Greni"

2008/12/19 Markus Schnhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de>

> Derek Broughton:
>
> > I'm pretty good at most things computerish, but I have to admit
> > encodings have me mostly stumped. I'm particularly surprised that while
> > the original post from Evuraan showed all sorts of "=?UTF-8..."
> > encodings, the responses from the people who could read it all provide
> > it an encoding that allows _me_ to read it.
>
> There is not much magic in here.
> In mail headers only US-ACSII is allowed. If you want to use characters
> not in US-ASCII in, say, the From header field (which is the only part
> of the OP where non-ASCII characters were used), you'll have to use a
> representation that only uses US-ASCII. RFC 2047 defines a way to do that.
> While your client was obviously unable to parse a RFC 2047 conformant
> header field, in the responses to the OP the non-ASCII characters were
> quoted in the *body* - where the encoding is an entirely different
> matter, which your client seems to be able to handle.

Indeed. To be precise, I've copied the characters from the header of
the first message (replacing what was written in Derek's answer).

Loc