Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Axel Heinrici

Default WLAN not working rt2500

Hello,

I have a MSI S270 laptop branded "Medion". It seems I got everything
working with kubuntu 8.04 except for WLAN.
My problem is there is too much of information on the web and there are
lots of ways how set the network up properly. It still didn't get the
full picture of how wpasupplicant, networkmanager, native devices,
avahi etc. are playing together. I am willing to read documentation but
I still need some help to get a general overview.

My topology:
I have a linux router making connection to the internet and running a
DHCP server. Connected to that I have a linksys access point (just
accesspoint and not a router). The access point is using WPA-encryption
which is running fine with windows and my symbian cell phone. Ethernet
connection is also workig.

Situation:
ifconfig shows 5 interfaces : eth0, lo, wlan0, wlan0, wlan0:avahi and
wmaster0.
After I used the network-admin (KDEmenu->System->network) and put in the
essid and the WPA passphrase a few packets are received and sended via
wlan0. No packets are received or sent via wlan0:avahi nor wmaster0.
DHCP is working for ethernet but not for WLAN.

thanks in advance
Axel

some commandline sniplets possibly of interest:

<=============
:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:11:09:ff:c7:bf
inet Adresse:192.168.0.240 Bcast:192.168.0.255
Maske:255.255.255.0
inet6-Adresse: fe80::211:9ff:feff:c7bf/64
Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:44219279 (42.1 MB) TX bytes:2387541 (2.2 MB)
Interrupt:19 Basisadresse:0xe800

lo Link encap:Lokale Schleife
inet Adresse:127.0.0.1 Maske:255.0.0.0
inet6-Adresse: ::1/128 Gültigkeitsbereich:Maschine
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metrik:1
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0
RX bytes:5600 (5.4 KB) TX bytes:5600 (5.4 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:11:09:af:9a:40
inet6-Adresse: fe80::211:9ff:feaf:9a40/64
Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:202835 (198.0 KB) TX bytes:313896 (306.5 KB)

wlan0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:11:09:af:9a:40
inet Adresse:169.254.5.217 Bcast:169.254.255.255
Maske:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC Hardware Adresse
00-11-09-AF-9A-40-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
===========>

<===========:~$ lsmod |grep rt2
rt2500pci 20352 0
rt2x00pci 11264 1 rt2500pci
rt2x00lib 22528 2 rt2500pci,rt2x00pci
rfkill 8596 2 rt2x00lib
input_polldev 5896 1 rt2x00lib
crc_itu_t 3072 1 rt2x00lib
mac80211 165652 3 rt2500pci,rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
eeprom_93cx6 3200 1 rt2500pci

Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM

ello,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 03:00:02PM +0100, Axel Heinrici wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a MSI S270 laptop branded "Medion". It seems I got everything
> working with kubuntu 8.04 except for WLAN.
> My problem is there is too much of information on the web and there are
> lots of ways how set the network up properly. It still didn't get the
> full picture of how wpasupplicant, networkmanager, native devices,
> avahi etc. are playing together. I am willing to read documentation but
> I still need some help to get a general overview.
>
> My topology:
> I have a linux router making connection to the internet and running a
> DHCP server. Connected to that I have a linksys access point (just
> accesspoint and not a router). The access point is using WPA-encryption

Few thoughts: wpa-supplicant is needed.

> which is running fine with windows and my symbian cell phone. Ethernet
> connection is also workig.
>
> Situation:
> ifconfig shows 5 interfaces : eth0, lo, wlan0, wlan0, wlan0:avahi and
> wmaster0.

eth0, lo, wlan0: seems fine to me.

I suggest you disable/remove avahi:
$ sudo invoke-rc.d avahi-daemon stop;
$ sudo ifdown wlan0:avahi;

What's wmaster0?
Also note, Avahi's a piece of **ap software TBH and mucks up lot of stuffs.

Do that and then reconfigure your interface with Knetworkmanager or whatever its called.

[...]

--
en0f

Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Nils Kassube

Axel Heinrici wrote:
> I have a MSI S270 laptop branded "Medion". It seems I got everything
> working with kubuntu 8.04 except for WLAN.
> My problem is there is too much of information on the web and there are
> lots of ways how set the network up properly. It still didn't get the
> full picture of how wpasupplicant, networkmanager, native devices,
> avahi etc. are playing together. I am willing to read documentation but
> I still need some help to get a general overview.

OK, here is an overview how I understand it. It may be partly wrong but I
hope others will correct me if necessary. At least it should get you
started.

Networkmanager selects the interface for your network connection. If you
are connected with the wired interface that one will be used. Otherwise
if the wireless interface is available, this will be used automatically
if a known wireless network is found.

Knetworkmanager is the user interface for networkmanager so you don't need
administrator privilege e.g. to select wireless networks.

Wpasupplicant is the application which handles the WPA/WPA2 encryption for
your wireless interface. It has to be installed but it is controlled by
networkmanager, so you don't need to configure it unless you want to have
a special setup.

Avahi is a daemon which can provide interfaces with a configuration for
local networks without DHCP server. It uses zeroconf addresses in the
169.254.0.0/16 network. In theory it should not interfere with the other
network settings. Well, in theory ...

> I have a linux router making connection to the internet and running a
> DHCP server. Connected to that I have a linksys access point (just
> accesspoint and not a router). The access point is using WPA-encryption
> which is running fine with windows and my symbian cell phone. Ethernet
> connection is also workig.
>
> Situation:
> ifconfig shows 5 interfaces : eth0, lo, wlan0, wlan0, wlan0:avahi and
> wmaster0.
> After I used the network-admin (KDEmenu->System->network) and put in
> the essid and the WPA passphrase a few packets are received and sended
> via wlan0. No packets are received or sent via wlan0:avahi nor
> wmaster0. DHCP is working for ethernet but not for WLAN.

Network-admin might be a problem. Please check that only the lo interface
is mentioned in "/etc/network/interfaces". Interfaces mentioned in that
file will be ignored by networkmanager. If other interfaces are mentioned
there, please remove the entries (or make them comments with a "#"
character at the beginning of each of those lines). BTW: You need root
privilege to edit the file.

Right click the knetworkmanager icon. If no wireless networks are
displayed, select options -> enable wireless networks. If wireless
networks are shown, there should be one line with the name of your
network. Click on that line and a new window should open which asks for
the passphrase. If you can't see your wireless network, select "connect
other wireless network". Then enter the network name, select the
encryption type and enter the passphrase.

However not everybody is happy with networkmanager. If the procedure above
doesn't work, it might worthwile to install Wicd [1] instead. Others can
probably help you with that program if it doesn't work.

Nils

[1] <http://wicd.sourceforge.net/>

Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Axel Heinrici

Hi

On Friday 19 December 2008 18:28:52 Nils Kassube wrote:

> Right click the knetworkmanager icon. If no wireless networks are
> displayed, select options -> enable wireless networks. If wireless
> networks are shown, there should be one line with the name of your
> network. Click on that line and a new window should open which asks
> for the passphrase. If you can't see your wireless network, select
> "connect other wireless network". Then enter the network name, select
> the encryption type and enter the passphrase.

Thanks, it is working now.

I did remove all the avahi-stuff. I still have the wmaster0 network
device. But the important thing is that WLAN access is working now.

kind regards
Axel