Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
squareyes

Default dial up setup was "How do I dial using external modem"

Hi,
I use pppconfig to setup my dial up.

Open a terminal and type sudo pppconfig enter password and fill in.
Leave "provider" alone, and when finished in terminal type pon
Type in terminal poff to disconnect.
External usb modems I have tried are (usually) found at ttyACM0
if modem isn't auto-detected and you need to set it manually.
Hope this helps.
Take Care
Winton

Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Pete Clapham

Thank you.* This seems closer to a solution than anything else I've run into.*
*
However, I don't think the "pon" is finding my modem.* Is there a way to ping a modem
or otherwise to ascertain where it is connected?* Again, the computer is an eeePC, and
the modem is an external USB modem.
*
Thanks.
*
cheers,
pete

Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
squareyes

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Thank you. This seems closer to a solution than anything else I've
> run into.
>
> However, I don't think the "pon" is finding my modem. Is there a way
> to ping a modem
> or otherwise to ascertain where it is connected? Again, the computer
> is an eeePC, and
> the modem is an external USB modem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> cheers,
> pete

Hi Pete,
First it's not considered good etiquette to "top post"
Plain text messages are acceptable, html is generally frowned on.
This modem must be a "Hardware" modem, win modems (modems running on
software)will not work
Don't know if eeePC's are any different. I have a USRobotics usr 5637
that works, plug it in and setup on ttyACM0.
During the pppconfig setup, where it cannot find your modem, you will
need to select manual and put in
ttyACM0 that usually works for me If you put your ISP in the "Provider"
line, you will need to type
pon and "what you put in the provider line" If it wasn't changed pon
should work.
Hope this helps
Take Care
Winton

Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Pete Clapham
<peteclapham@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to
> ping a modem
> or otherwise to ascertain where it is connected? Again, the computer is an
> eeePC, and
> the modem is an external USB modem.

If you review the logs (/var/log/syslog) while or just after you plug
in the modem you should see how it's assigned.

You could probably use 'lsusb' or the hardware info program in System
-> Preferences too.

Once you have the device name, you can use 'screen /dev/USBdevname' or
minicom to talk to the modem directly with AT commands.

Brian