Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 AM
Pete Clapham

Default How do I dial using external modem

Hi, all --I have an eeePC, and I want to access the Internet using an external modem. I can go to "network" and configure the modem, but I can't dial the ISP. Can anybody tell me where the button is to "dial"? *Alternatively, if dialing is automatic (doesn't seem likely), wheredoes the external modem attach? Do I need to do a mount to /dev/modem?And if so, what am I mounting?*Thanks.cheers,,pete*--

Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 AM
NoOp

On 12/18/2008 07:07 PM, Pete Clapham wrote:
> Hi, all --I have an eeePC, and I want to access the Internet using an external modem. I can go to "network" and configure the modem, but I can't dial the ISP. Can anybody tell me where the button is to "dial"? Alternatively, if dialing is automatic (doesn't seem likely), wheredoes the external modem attach? Do I need to do a mount to /dev/modem?And if so, what am I mounting? Thanks.cheers,,pete

Don't know. But your question has nothing to do with the subject of this
thread "How do I dial using external modem". Perhaps if you don't hijack
someone else's thread and start a new one, someone will reply.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Brendan

Are you using dial up

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Pete Clapham

Dear NoOp --
*
I have valued your input on a number of issues in which you have supplied the definitive answers to a question.* However, to the best of my knowledge, I am asking a question for the first time and in no way hijacked somebody else's thread.* I DO* have an eeePC, and I very much want to use Ubuntu as its operating system.* (I use Ubuntu for several other systems, and I really like it).* I DO have an external modem, I have configured it in "network", and I would like to make it work.* I would very much like to find out how to dial the ISP using it.* I look forward to responses, and I would especially value yours.
*
cheers,
pete

Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Pete Clapham

Yes.* I was able to get it to work in Xandros, but there doesn't appear to be a way to dial the modem in Ubuntu.* I am assuming that either I need to insert an ATDT command in some on-line command or that I need to mount a USB modem.* Grateful for any insight you may have.
*
Thanks.
*
cheers,
pete

Old 12-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Shannon McMackin

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Dear NoOp --
>
> I have valued your input on a number of issues in which you have
> supplied the definitive answers to a question. However, to the best of
> my knowledge, I am asking a question for the first time and in no way
> hijacked somebody else's thread. I /DO/ have an eeePC, and I very much
> want to use Ubuntu as its operating system. (I use Ubuntu for several
> other systems, and I really like it). I /DO/ have an external modem, I
> /have/ configured it in "network", and I would like to make it work. I
> would very much like to find out how to dial the ISP using it. I look
> forward to responses, and I would especially value yours.
>
> cheers,
> pete

Pete,

You posted your question in the middle of someone else's thread about
OpenOffice. What NoOp is telling you is forum etiquette. You should
make sure your initial post is always a new thread and not buried in the
middle of another string.

I've never used a modem in linux, so I'm sorry to say I can't help you
there...

Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> Yes. I was able to get it to work in Xandros, but there
> doesn't appear to be a way to dial the modem in
> Ubuntu. I am assuming that either I need to insert an ATDT
> command in some on-line command or that I need to mount a
> USB modem. Grateful for any insight you may have.
>
> Thanks.
>
> cheers,
> pete
>
> --- On Fri, 12/19/08, Brendan <igeek947@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> From: Brendan <igeek947@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I dial using external modem
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
> discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 3:25 AM
>
> Are you using dial up
>
> On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 19:20 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> > On 12/18/2008 07:07 PM, Pete Clapham wrote:
> > > Hi, all --I have an eeePC, and I want to access
> the Internet using an
> external modem. I can go to "network" and
> configure the modem, but I
> can't dial the ISP. Can anybody tell me where the
> button is to
> "dial"? Alternatively, if dialing is automatic
> (doesn't seem
> likely), wheredoes the external modem attach? Do I need to
> do a mount to
> /dev/modem?And if so, what am I mounting?
> Thanks.cheers,,pete
> > >

> > Don't know. But your question has nothing to do
> with the subject of
> this
> > thread "How do I dial using external modem".
> Perhaps if you
> don't hijack
> > someone else's thread and start a new one, someone
> will reply.
> >

> > Don't know. But your question has nothing to do
> with the subject of
> this
> > thread "How do I dial using external modem".
> Perhaps if you
> don't hijack
> > someone else's thread and start a new one, someone
> will reply.

It's been a long while since I've used dialup BAIR, wvdial will
do it and wvdial.conf has a place to enter you dial out info.
You'll have to read the manual however, as I don't remember the
details and AIR it's a little tricky on syntax or was then.
wvdialconfig or similiar file name did an automatic config setup
but I still had to edit wvdial.conf to get it right. Don't
know of any other way to do it. HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Brendan

I might be able to help with dialing the modem in Ubuntu go to System
AdministrationNetworking then activate the modem if you have Ubuntu
8.10 then you won't be able to do that cause it doesn't have that
feature

Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 AM
NoOp

On 12/18/2008 07:27 PM, Pete Clapham wrote:
> Dear NoOp --
>
> I have valued your input on a number of issues in which you have
> supplied the definitive answers to a question. However, to the best
> of my knowledge, I am asking a question for the first time and in no
> way hijacked somebody else's thread. I DO have an eeePC, and I very
> much want to use Ubuntu as its operating system. (I use Ubuntu for
> several other systems, and I really like it). I DO have an external
> modem, I have configured it in "network", and I would like to make it
> work. I would very much like to find out how to dial the ISP using
> it. I look forward to responses, and I would especially value
> yours.
>
> cheers, pete

Then please do start a *new* thread. You posted using another thread:

From: Pete Clapham <peteclapham@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: How do I dial using external modem
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:07:37 -0800 (PST)

If you look at the 'References' you can see that you've posted in
response to <acfad57e0812181313j1329c5c2v33df918f264d969b@mail .gmail.com>
rather than starting a new email and subject.

The thread is shown here:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/168526

Note that your question immediately follows Chris Mohler | 18 Dec 22:13
for the subject "Open Office problems".

So, please start a *new* email with your subject to
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
and I'm sure that you'll do fine & most likely get a working response
from those that have serial modems :-) I don't, but otherwise I'd be
more than happy to help if I could.

Apologies for being a 'list mom'; I really am not trying to be. But it's
really confusing when someone posts in another's thread, and even more
confusing when other's just pipe on in and respond to continue the off
topic issue.