Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Robert Hodgins

Default Open Office problems

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I went to Google and put in open office and there was a list of many
> places to d/l what I wanted. But it is all now been taken over by a
> company that takes Money from you and then lets you d/l O-O.

http://OpenOffice.org

the correct site, is first in Google. It looks like you have adware on
your Windows machine that is redirecting your searches.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Gilles Gravier

Matt,

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I went to Google and put in open office and there was a list of many
>> places to d/l what I wanted. But it is all now been taken over by a
>> company that takes Money from you and then lets you d/l O-O.
>>
> http://OpenOffice.org
>
> the correct site, is first in Google. It looks like you have adware on
> your Windows machine that is redirecting your searches.
>
> Matt Flaschen

It could also be that his web browser isn't configured first for English
pages... or that his Google is configured for a different country and
attempts at presenting "local" results first. I regularly have something
similar when I forget to tell Google that despite the fact that my
connection is in France, I want ENGLISH results... Setting Google to
English in the Google preferences (link at the bottom of Google.com's
main page) places a cookie to that effect... and tends to make results
more coherent with what the rest of us may see...

But the chances that some adware has changed his default search engine
aren't nil either. Karl, when you get the strange search results... is
it from Google's page that you get them? Or from a different search engine?

Gilles.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I went to Google and put in open office and there was a list of many
>> places to d/l what I wanted. But it is all now been taken over by a
>> company that takes Money from you and then lets you d/l O-O.
>>

> http://OpenOffice.org
>
> the correct site, is first in Google. It looks like you have adware on
> your Windows machine that is redirecting your searches.
>
> Matt Flaschen

It could be adware but it is on my Hardy Ubuntu. I got in trouble by
putting "open office" in Google. The first listing shown is advertising
Open Office 2009 and that redirects you to the scam.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> I went to Google and put in open office and there was a list of many
>>> places to d/l what I wanted. But it is all now been taken over by a
>>> company that takes Money from you and then lets you d/l O-O.
>>>

>> http://OpenOffice.org
>>
>> the correct site, is first in Google. It looks like you have adware on
>> your Windows machine that is redirecting your searches.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> It could also be that his web browser isn't configured first for English
> pages... or that his Google is configured for a different country and
> attempts at presenting "local" results first. I regularly have something
> similar when I forget to tell Google that despite the fact that my
> connection is in France, I want ENGLISH results... Setting Google to
> English in the Google preferences (link at the bottom of Google.com's
> main page) places a cookie to that effect... and tends to make results
> more coherent with what the rest of us may see...
>
> But the chances that some adware has changed his default search engine
> aren't nil either. Karl, when you get the strange search results... is
> it from Google's page that you get them? Or from a different search engine?
>
> Gilles.

Just checked and if I put in google "open office" I get strange
results. If I change to "openoffice.org" then it brings up the right list.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> I went to Google and put in open office and there was a list of
>> many
>> places to d/l what I wanted. But it is all now been taken over by a
>> company that takes Money from you and then lets you d/l O-O.
>
> http://OpenOffice.org
>
> the correct site, is first in Google. It looks like you have adware
> on your Windows machine that is redirecting your searches.

Not necessarily - I don't recall exactly what my query was, last week,
but I ended up at this OO-for-money site, too, from Konqueror.
--
derek

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2008 04:46 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> It could be adware but it is on my Hardy Ubuntu. I got in trouble by
> putting "open office" in Google. The first listing shown is advertising
> Open Office 2009 and that redirects you to the scam.
>
> Karl

Try clearing the cache in your browser.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Brendan

It might be a virus just to be safe reinstall Ubuntu

Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Brendan wrote:
> It might be a virus just to be safe reinstall Ubuntu
>
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:07 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2008 04:46 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> It could be adware but it is on my Hardy Ubuntu. I got in trouble by
>>> putting "open office" in Google. The first listing shown is advertising
>>> Open Office 2009 and that redirects you to the scam.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Try clearing the cache in your browser.

You need to learn to comment on the bottom as I have. And your worry
that I have a virus is just funny. I have been running Linux since 1995
and am awaiting the first virus. You want me to re-load Hardy? Forget it!

And with the help of others I know what I did wrong and will not do
it again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
ruscook

Agreed, the first non-sponsored hit and the 3rd hit overall is
openoffice.org. It even has a search box for the openoffice web site
(see below)

Open
Office 2008 - Free

OpenOffice.org-Suite.com* * * Latest Version
of Open Office. Fast & Easy - 100% Guaranteed.

OpenOffice
Free Download

OpenOffice.Quick-Download.Info* * * Latest
Version of Open Office 24/7 Tech Support - 100% Guaranteed

Search Results

www:
OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity
Suite

A multiplatform and multilingual office
suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other
major office suites, free to download, use, ...

www.openoffice.org/ - 14k - Cached
- Similar
pages -

Download
2.3.1
Downloads
3.0
Beta 2
want to learn more about

Download
Page
Other
languages
Support
Extensions
Repository

Please
enter some search terms.

On 19/12/08 09:03, H.S. wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

NoOp wrote:

>> It's "OpenOffice.org"

http://www.openoffice.org/
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

Thanks I was headed that way. Just for the record you can't get that
address from Google if you just put in open office.

Karl

I do. The first hit I get is www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open
Productivity Suite. In fact, the first 4 or 5 links are of
openoffice.org website.

--

Kind Regards Russell