Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
NoOp

Default Open Office problems

On 12/21/2008 11:18 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>> Are you saying the very first listing? I still get the paid for
>> listing of the spam guy. Are you sure you used "open office"
>>
>> Karl
>
> I have not really followed the conversation for long, but would like to
> know the reason why some people get different result in Google although
> using the same query: <open office> or <"open office">.
>
> I have tried to reproduce Karl's result by:
> 1) Disabling ABP in FF.
> 2) Using lynx
> 3) Using localized Google in FF (Sweden)
>
> If Karl is not using any special query form, assuming Ubuntu or home
> routers doesn't change the query/result, one could suspect the ISP.
> If the ISP really does anything behind the scenes, it would be good to
> air this in public and thus bring this issue to a proper forum.
> If the issue is related to Ubuntu 8.10, I know Karl is using 8.10, then
> the issue should be taken up here, but under another subject.
>
> Any other thoughts?

Cookies.

I never allow Google et al to set cookies. However if Karl has cookies
set and his previous searches were for "open office", and he clicked on
several, it could be that Google picked that up and was then serving up
similar hits. That's why I asked him to clear his cache and try again...
I forgot to also have him clear his cookies as well.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
ruscook

:-) Fair call