Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 PM
"Richard Brown"

Default Open Office problems

Hey

2008/12/20 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:

> The answer to MY problem is simple. Bring up Google and ask it to find:
>
> openoffice.org
>
> not
>
> open office
>
> I have been watching the URL's Google finds with the question "open
> office". The scam I discovered is still there but not as numerous. I
> think the scam artists are pulling out.
>
> When I use "openoffice.org" I always never get the scam URL's.

It is not a scam. It is called advertising. The top two links shown in
my browser with a yellowy/brown background are adverts. They are there
because someone has signed up to Google adwords for the two words open
office. The actual official link (i.e. the first in the list) is for
openoffice.org. The same happens when you search for openoffice. No
scam simply adverts.

People in this list have told you that and yet you feel you are right
and not prepared to listen.
--
Kind regards
Rich

Old 12-20-2008, 02:38 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hey
>
> 2008/12/20 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
>
>> The answer to MY problem is simple. Bring up Google and ask it to find:
>>
>> openoffice.org
>>
>> not
>>
>> open office
>>
>> I have been watching the URL's Google finds with the question "open
>> office". The scam I discovered is still there but not as numerous. I
>> think the scam artists are pulling out.
>>
>> When I use "openoffice.org" I always never get the scam URL's.
>>

> It is not a scam. It is called advertising. The top two links shown in
> my browser with a yellowy/brown background are adverts. They are there
> because someone has signed up to Google adwords for the two words open
> office. The actual official link (i.e. the first in the list) is for
> openoffice.org. The same happens when you search for openoffice. No
> scam simply adverts.
>
> People in this list have told you that and yet you feel you are right
> and not prepared to listen.

Richard the smart, no where have I even mentioned the advertisements
people BUY from Google that are lined up on the right side of the page.
Any idiot knows those are 100% advertisements and have no interest to me.

I am talking about the web pages Google finds, period.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>>
>> Greasemonkey. It's an addon for FireFox which you probably *don't*
>> have installed. However, it re-writes web pages to change the look and
>> feel of them, or to add new functionality.

> Sorry I do not believe a word you say now. You seem to derive fun
> from trying to delude me. So please stop replying to my messages. Any
> more I will not answer.

Sigh...

Google Greasemonkey. It's an addon for Firefox which modifies web
pages. You really are a fuckwit Karl.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM
"H.S."

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Richard the smart, no where have I even mentioned the advertisements
> people BUY from Google that are lined up on the right side of the page.
> Any idiot knows those are 100% advertisements and have no interest to me.
>
> I am talking about the web pages Google finds, period.

I suppose the best way to put to rest the confusion is if you put a
screen shot of the search results somewhere online.

Here is mine:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/kNn0zHBb1fEhuE6lfpGhhA?feat=directlink

ever having been read.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Sat, December 20, 2008 9:38 am, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>> 2008/12/20 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> The answer to MY problem is simple. Bring up Google and ask it to
>>> find:
>>>
>>> openoffice.org
>>>
>>> not
>>>
>>> open office
>>>
>>> I have been watching the URL's Google finds with the question "open
>>> office". The scam I discovered is still there but not as numerous. I
>>> think the scam artists are pulling out.
>>>
>>> When I use "openoffice.org" I always never get the scam URL's.
>>>

>> It is not a scam. It is called advertising. The top two links shown in
>> my browser with a yellowy/brown background are adverts. They are there
>> because someone has signed up to Google adwords for the two words open
>> office. The actual official link (i.e. the first in the list) is for
>> openoffice.org. The same happens when you search for openoffice. No
>> scam simply adverts.
>>
>> People in this list have told you that and yet you feel you are right
>> and not prepared to listen.
>>
> Richard the smart, no where have I even mentioned the advertisements
> people BUY from Google that are lined up on the right side of the page.
> Any idiot knows those are 100% advertisements and have no interest to me.
>
> I am talking about the web pages Google finds, period.

The first two links are adverts. They have a beige background and are
marked "Sponsored Links" in the top right corner. They do seem to be
scams. They both take you to very similar sign-up pages and request
payment.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Jason Crain wrote:
> On Sat, December 20, 2008 9:38 am, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Richard Brown wrote:

>>> It is not a scam. It is called advertising. The top two links shown in
>>> my browser with a yellowy/brown background are adverts. They are there
>>> because someone has signed up to Google adwords for the two words open
>>> office. The actual official link (i.e. the first in the list) is for
>>> openoffice.org. The same happens when you search for openoffice. No
>>> scam simply adverts.
>>>
>>> People in this list have told you that and yet you feel you are right
>>> and not prepared to listen.
>>>

>> Richard the smart, no where have I even mentioned the advertisements
>> people BUY from Google that are lined up on the right side of the page.
>> Any idiot knows those are 100% advertisements and have no interest to me.
>>
>> I am talking about the web pages Google finds, period.
>>

> The first two links are adverts. They have a beige background and are
> marked "Sponsored Links" in the top right corner. They do seem to be
> scams. They both take you to very similar sign-up pages and request
> payment.

YES! And I didn't see the beige coloring because my computer shows
that color very dim. I looked at the screen from a side angle and the
beige color shows on page 1 and 2 but not on page 3 onward as far as I
went. I guess you buy what you can afford :-)

I was not aware you could buy that. Makes me mad at Google. I think
I will write Google and complain.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Brown Richard

Hey Karl

On 20 Dec 2008, at 21:12, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Jason Crain wrote:

>>> Richard the smart, no where have I even mentioned the
>>> people BUY from Google that are lined up on the right side of the
>>> page.
>>> Any idiot knows those are 100% advertisements and have no interest
>>> to me.
>>>
>>> I am talking about the web pages Google finds, period.
>>>

>> The first two links are adverts. They have a beige background and
>> are
>> marked "Sponsored Links" in the top right corner. They do seem to be
>> scams. They both take you to very similar sign-up pages and request
>> payment.
>>

> YES! And I didn't see the beige coloring because my computer shows
> that color very dim. I looked at the screen from a side angle and the
> beige color shows on page 1 and 2 but not on page 3 onward as far as I
> went. I guess you buy what you can afford :-)
>

> I was not aware you could buy that. Makes me mad at Google. I think
> I will write Google and complain.

Finally, the penny drops - but I see no apologies for not listening.
Why are you on this list?

Rich

Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Mark Kirkwood

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>

>> What Steve is alluding to is a plug-in for Firefox that lets you alter
>> how web pages appear via javascript:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
>>

> That IS interesting but it has ZERO to do with the open office
> problem. The same as reloading Hardy and virus protection :-)

Hmm - while I agree that the reinstall advice is completely incorrect,
the Greasemonky comment is potentially relevant - with some javascript
foo you can alter the ordering of the returned search items from any
search engine (in fact there isn't much you can't do to a web page...).

Now I suspect that you are *not* a javascript programmer, so (as Steve
implied) this is (or was) unlikely to be your problem.

I see from another post that the issue was those annoying sponsored
links - yeah, complain to Google about them. A few years ago I
encountered a similar sort of thing - a search on DB2 brought up
"Convert from DB2 to Oracle" as a sponsored link at the top of the 1st
page. I complained about it, and while Google weasel-worded me about how
they had done no evil - the link disappeared quite soon aftrerwards.

regards

Mark

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Brown Richard wrote:
> Hey Karl
>
> On 20 Dec 2008, at 21:12, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>> Jason Crain wrote:

>>> The first two links are adverts. They have a beige background and
>>> are
>>> marked "Sponsored Links" in the top right corner. They do seem to be
>>> scams. They both take you to very similar sign-up pages and request
>>> payment.
>>>

>> YES! And I didn't see the beige coloring because my computer shows
>> that color very dim. I looked at the screen from a side angle and the
>> beige color shows on page 1 and 2 but not on page 3 onward as far as I
>> went. I guess you buy what you can afford :-)
>>

>> I was not aware you could buy that. Makes me mad at Google. I think
>> I will write Google and complain.
>>

> Finally, the penny drops - but I see no apologies for not listening.
> Why are you on this list?
>
> Rich

Why are you here Rich? You had nothing to say until after it is all
understood and the problem was solved 4 days ago. Please get off my case.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 AM
NoOp

On 12/20/2008 06:15 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Brenden got a new email address (search the archives)... but the
>> questions remain:
>>
>> 1. Did you clear your browser cache and try again? If so what was the
>> result?
>>
>> 2. You did 'what' wrong, & not do what again? Yes, I know that's an
>> open-ended question. But specifically related to "this" issue what is
>> the answer to that question?

> The answer to MY problem is simple. Bring up Google and ask it to find:
>
> openoffice.org
>
> not
>
> open office
>
> I have been watching the URL's Google finds with the question "open
> office". The scam I discovered is still there but not as numerous. I
> think the scam artists are pulling out.
>
> When I use "openoffice.org" I always never get the scam URL's.

Good. Now to clarify the issue of 'scam' URL's for OpenOffice.org (that
is the name of the program vs just OpenOffice as OpenOffice is
trademarked in Europe);

1. There are valid OpenOffice.org (OOo) resellers, distributors that
provide OOo on CD for those that have dialup and or just want a CD.
Typically these are listed here:

http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/index.html#cdrom

Such resellers and/or distributors are generally quite useful and
provide a valuable service as the typical download size of OOo is over
200MB. On a standard dialup connection this can take all night.

2. The scam artists are the ones like you latched onto.

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=open+office+2009

They put up sites that charge you for providing a download link to
download from OOo servers and mirrors. Now, that service _might_ be
worth something if they also provided value added support services etc.
But the worst part is that they simply have the unsupecting 'purchaser'
subscribe to the OpenOffice.org users list (just like this one) for
support. So, on that list we get emails from people demanding their
money back, demanding that something be fixed, and sometimes even
providing their usernames & passwords in the process. Unfortunately for
some sites there is little that you can do, as the site will clearly
state that it's a free program etc. Example:

http://openoffice-3.org/
<quote>
Disclaimer: This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of
this software program and does not re-sell or license software. All
software is freeware and/or shareware with the understanding that the
user may need or want to pay for it later. Membership is for unlimited
access to our site's resources. We provide an organized website with
links to third party freeware and shareware software, technical support,
tutorials and step by step guides Privacy
</quote>

Now, most won't read that at the bottom of the page. I'd be willing to
bet that the site you first visited probably said something similar. And
if they do, they think they are getting added support. I'm not sure
about this particular site, but many sites like this just auto subscribe
their buyers to users@openoffice.org or support@openoffice.org and we
end up with emails such as this:

===
Hi, on purchasing Open Office the site stated that a 30 day satisfaction
agreement was in place. I would like to take advantage of that
agreement. I have found your sites incredibly hard to negotiate.
====
====
To whom it may concern:

I recently signed up on your website for the
Openoffice suite. I was, however, under the impression
it was free. I was then advised it was 5.97 GBP. It
was not until I reached the final approval screen that
I was advised I was being charged more than 25.00 GBP.
At this point I clicked the cancel button. The
purchase, however, seems to have gone through
regardless, as per the attached e-mail. I am very
unhappy about this and I would appreciate it if you
would refund my monies, especially as I have not used
the product.
====
====
I did purchase "Open Office" for the sum of AU$11.00. It is the latest
version and on the "help" page all references for help/support are to
support@openoffice.org or www.sun.com/star/support
====

From the last you can see that whoever he purchased OOo from provided
'support' by sending him off to the OOo list.

You of all people should have known better than to fall for this
'service' download for OOo, particularly since posts have been
frequently made here (by me and others) on how to download & install OOo
and recently, OOo 3.0. But, we all can fall for scams if not careful.
So... buyer beware/Caveat emptor.

BTW: Install the Mozilla Prefbar as I suggested and you can then easily
clear your browsers cache (disk, memory, all), cookies, etc.