Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Default Open Office problems

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Thanks I was headed that way. Just for the record you can't get that
> address from Google if you just put in open office.

Yes, you /can/. It's the first result. You most likely have adware
spyware that is rewriting the result page.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>> Thanks I was headed that way. Just for the record you can't get that
>> address from Google if you just put in open office.
>>

> Yes, you /can/. It's the first result. You most likely have adware
> spyware that is rewriting the result page.
>
> Matt Flaschen

You have no idea how google works. Too bad. There is zero ways for
anything I do to change what google displays. It searches for a fit to
the words I write in. There is nothing in my Firefox that can change
what google presents.

And your saying my Firefox is changing things within the google
page. Not possible.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have no idea how google works. Too bad. There is zero ways for
> anything I do to change what google displays. It searches for a fit to
> the words I write in. There is nothing in my Firefox that can change
> what google presents.

Greasemonkey. It's an addon for FireFox which you probably *don't*
have installed. However, it re-writes web pages to change the look and
feel of them, or to add new functionality.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You have no idea how google works. Too bad. There is zero ways for
>> anything I do to change what google displays. It searches for a fit to
>> the words I write in. There is nothing in my Firefox that can change
>> what google presents.
>>

> Greasemonkey. It's an addon for FireFox which you probably *don't*
> have installed. However, it re-writes web pages to change the look and
> feel of them, or to add new functionality.

Sorry I do not believe a word you say now. You seem to derive fun
from trying to delude me. So please stop replying to my messages. Any
more I will not answer.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 AM
NoOp

On 12/19/2008 11:25 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Brendan wrote:
>> It might be a virus just to be safe reinstall Ubuntu

>>> Try clearing the cache in your browser.
>>>

> You need to learn to comment on the bottom as I have. And your worry
> that I have a virus is just funny. I have been running Linux since 1995
> and am awaiting the first virus. You want me to re-load Hardy? Forget it!
>
> And with the help of others I know what I did wrong and will not do
> it again.
>

> Karl

Brenden got a new email address (search the archives)... but the
questions remain:

1. Did you clear your browser cache and try again? If so what was the
result?

2. You did 'what' wrong, & not do what again? Yes, I know that's an
open-ended question. But specifically related to "this" issue what is
the answer to that question?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>

>> Greasemonkey. It's an addon for FireFox which you probably *don't*
>> have installed. However, it re-writes web pages to change the look and
>> feel of them, or to add new functionality.
>>

> Sorry I do not believe a word you say now. You seem to derive fun
> from trying to delude me. So please stop replying to my messages. Any
> more I will not answer.
>

> Karl

What Steve is alluding to is a plug-in for Firefox that lets you alter
how web pages appear via javascript:

regards

Mark

Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 AM
"Mark H. Nichols"

On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:15 PM, NoOp wrote:

2. You did 'what' wrong, & not do what again? Yes, I know that's anopen-ended question. But specifically related to "this" issue what isthe answer to that question?
It appears that the original search term was "open office" and not "openoffice". *On Safari on Mac OS X, "open office" returns three sponsored results prior to the openoffice.org result.
Mark--

Old 12-20-2008, 07:27 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Brendan wrote:
>It might be a virus just to be safe reinstall Ubuntu
>
>On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:07 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/19/2008 04:46 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>> > It could be adware but it is on my Hardy Ubuntu. I got in trouble by
>> > putting "open office" in Google.

ROFL.

OMG that should be the best joke all around. Reinstall wakakakak ROFL again.

Ouch, I bumped my head on the floor. I better stop laughing before neighbours complaints.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2008 11:25 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Brendan wrote:
>>
>>> It might be a virus just to be safe reinstall Ubuntu

>> You need to learn to comment on the bottom as I have. And your worry
>> that I have a virus is just funny. I have been running Linux since 1995
>> and am awaiting the first virus. You want me to re-load Hardy? Forget it!
>>
>> And with the help of others I know what I did wrong and will not do
>> it again.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Brenden got a new email address (search the archives)... but the
> questions remain:
>
> 1. Did you clear your browser cache and try again? If so what was the
> result?
>
> 2. You did 'what' wrong, & not do what again? Yes, I know that's an
> open-ended question. But specifically related to "this" issue what is
> the answer to that question?

The answer to MY problem is simple. Bring up Google and ask it to find:

openoffice.org

not

open office

I have been watching the URL's Google finds with the question "open
office". The scam I discovered is still there but not as numerous. I
think the scam artists are pulling out.

When I use "openoffice.org" I always never get the scam URL's.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Steve Flynn wrote:
>>

>>> Greasemonkey. It's an addon for FireFox which you probably *don't*
>>> have installed. However, it re-writes web pages to change the look and
>>> feel of them, or to add new functionality.
>>>

>> Sorry I do not believe a word you say now. You seem to derive fun
>> from trying to delude me. So please stop replying to my messages. Any
>> more I will not answer.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> What Steve is alluding to is a plug-in for Firefox that lets you alter
> how web pages appear via javascript:

> regards
>
> Mark

That IS interesting but it has ZERO to do with the open office
problem. The same as reloading Hardy and virus protection :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User