Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Catalin David

Default Disable touchpad on mouse connect

Dear all,

I have a question, I have a problem:

I would like to disable the touchpad of my laptop when the mouse is
connected. So, I thought of doing my own script that runs on startup and
would do that. As far as I know, this can be done by rmmod-ing the
module that takes care of the touchpad. The problem is I don't know
which one it is (attached you can find my lsmod) and I would need your
help with this. If this is not possible via rmmod, could you suggest
another method (since my laptop is rather dumb and does not have a
disable touchpad key)?

Thanks,

Catalin

Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Catalin David

Catalin David wrote:

Dear all,

I have a question, I have a problem:

I would like to disable the touchpad of my laptop when the mouse is
connected. So, I thought of doing my own script that runs on startup and
would do that. As far as I know, this can be done by rmmod-ing the
module that takes care of the touchpad. The problem is I don't know
which one it is (attached you can find my lsmod) and I would need your
help with this. If this is not possible via rmmod, could you suggest
another method (since my laptop is rather dumb and does not have a
disable touchpad key)?

Thanks,

Catalin

Of course, the file should now be attached...

Thanks (again),
Catalin
Module Size Used by
geode_aes 7176 0
aes_generic 27712 0
aes_i586 33536 1
nls_iso8859_1 4992 1
nls_cp437 6656 1
vfat 14464 1
fat 54556 1 vfat
af_packet 23812 4
i915 32512 2
drm 82452 3 i915
binfmt_misc 12808 1
ppdev 10372 0
ipv6 267908 25
acpi_cpufreq 10796 1
cpufreq_conservative 8712 0
cpufreq_ondemand 9740 1
cpufreq_stats 7104 0
freq_table 5536 3 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_ondemand,cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_userspace 5284 0
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
sbs 15112 0
sbshc 7680 1 sbs
bay 6912 0
container 5632 0
dock 11280 1 bay
iptable_filter 3840 0
ip_tables 14820 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 16132 1 ip_tables
sbp2 24072 0
parport_pc 36260 0
lp 12324 0
parport 37832 3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
joydev 13120 0
snd_hda_intel 346136 5
irda 203068 0
snd_usb_audio 83936 1
arc4 2944 2
snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
crc_ccitt 3072 1 irda
evdev 13056 8
ecb 4480 2
snd_usb_lib 18432 1 snd_usb_audio
blkcipher 8324 2 geode_aes,ecb
dcdbas 9504 0
usb_storage 73792 2
snd_pcm 78596 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
pcspkr 4224 0
serio_raw 7940 0
psmouse 40336 0
gspca 643920 0
snd_hwdep 10500 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
libusual 19236 1 usb_storage
usbhid 32128 0
videodev 29440 1 gspca
v4l2_common 18304 1 videodev
v4l1_compat 15492 1 videodev
iwl3945 96244 0
lbm_iwl_mac80211 242292 1 iwl3945
rfkill 8596 2 iwl3945
iTCO_wdt 13092 0
iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
hid 38784 1 usbhid
yenta_socket 27276 1
rsrc_nonstatic 13696 1 yenta_socket
snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
led_class 6020 1 iwl3945
snd_seq_oss 35584 0
lbm_iwl_cfg80211 33248 2 iwl3945,lbm_iwl_mac80211
snd_seq_midi 9376 0
snd_rawmidi 25760 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 54224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9612 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
video 19856 0
output 4736 1 video
wmi_acer 9644 0
intel_agp 25492 1
button 9232 0
snd 56996 24 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_usb_lib,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,sn d_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice
battery 14212 0
ac 6916 0
shpchp 34452 0
pci_hotplug 30880 1 shpchp
soundcore 8800 1 snd
agpgart 34760 3 drm,intel_agp
ext3 136840 2
jbd 48404 1 ext3
mbcache 9600 1 ext3
sg 36880 0
sr_mod 17956 0
cdrom 37408 1 sr_mod
sd_mod 30720 9
pata_acpi 8320 0
ata_piix 19588 4
ehci_hcd 37900 0
ata_generic 8324 0
ohci1394 33584 0
uhci_hcd 27024 0
libata 159600 3 pata_acpi,ata_piix,ata_generic
ieee1394 93752 2 sbp2,ohci1394
b44 30352 0
ssb 49412 1 b44
pcmcia 40876 1 ssb
pcmcia_core 40596 4 yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic,ssb,pcmcia
mii 6400 1 b44
scsi_mod 151436 6 sbp2,usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
usbcore 146412 9 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usb_storage,gspca,libusu al,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal 16796 0
processor 36488 4 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
fan 5636 0
fuse 50708 7
vesafb 8964 1
fbcon 42912 72
tileblit 3456 1 fbcon
font 9472 1 fbcon
bitblit 6784 1 fbcon
softcursor 3072 1 bitblit

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Catalin David wrote:
> I would like to disable the touchpad of my laptop when the mouse is
> connected. So, I thought of doing my own script that runs on startup and
> would do that. As far as I know, this can be done by rmmod-ing the
> module that takes care of the touchpad

Correct me if I'm wrong but touchpad config can be found in xorg.conf.

But I'm not exactly sure about the new xorg configuration in Intrepid which is, well, contains practically almost nothing. So I'm not exactly sure what to advice then. Sorry.

There is GUI configuration apps for touchpad, though. Called gsynaptics (not to be confused with synaptic).

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Florian Diesch

Catalin David <c.david@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> I would like to disable the touchpad of my laptop when the mouse is
> connected. So, I thought of doing my own script that runs on startup and
> would do that. As far as I know, this can be done by rmmod-ing the
> module that takes care of the touchpad. The problem is I don't know
> which one it is (attached you can find my lsmod) and I would need your
> help with this. If this is not possible via rmmod, could you suggest
> another method (since my laptop is rather dumb and does not have a
> disable touchpad key)?

In 8.10 this seems to be done using xinput, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>